Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will absolutely roll that cap over. We got rid of a player who had zero motivation and got additional cap space to use in the future. For a player who hasnt played more than 1/3 of the total snaps this year. McDermott is building a team and I believe well see the fruits of that within a couple of seasons.

This^^^^. It is definately the right move by the Bills FO. The big picture is missing in some folks analysis. It is not just a math problem. If I were to tell people we have 40 m in cap space, 10 picks in 2018, 6 in the top 100, we're getting rid of guys who are not measuring up to the culture and we have a coaching staff that is getting the most from others........there is much more. None of this existed before these guys arrived. That is the bigger picture.

Bizarre post? Yes they create holes for no reason.

So now instead of one DT needed in the offseason you now need two

That IS a created hole

i think they WANT to replace him. Thats the point. Cant be scared of improvement because it will take time and work. Edited by YoloinOhio

:lol: Okay. I'm sure there's something in the CBA to allow for fan's perceived level of effort.

I'm speaking from a coach and not fan perspective. Get a clue.

They had to send him home from a preseason game. He was losing snaps. Either suspend him or they could have just made him inactive every game andceat his salary. And would make no sense.

i think they WANT to replace him. Thats the point.

Then do it when you can get MAX value for him.

That is AFTER this season. After he helps your break the streak.

Not weaken the team while in the playoff fight for a less than 1% chance you find an NFL player.

Not to mention send an elite talent to a team you are competing with For the playoffs.

Edited by MAJBobby

It would have been like 2M dead after 2018 or something like that if i remember. Very small dead. Not 24.5M dead

When you consider the cap we roll over our total savings is higher than people think. And again, this is less about salary and more about dumping a player that doesnt fit into the culture were building. Hes one slip up from a 10 game suspension. He publicly disrespected the new regime. I have no clue why people want us spending any kind of additional cap on Dareus at all. Whaley screwed us so bad we have to pay him something just to get rid of him but thats not McBeanes fault. Ultimately we will have more money for depth at the bottom of our roster, one more low pick to use for a trade up, and best of all this unmotivated loser wont be around the team anymore. When Kyle Williams is telling the media you need to have more accountability, your career here is over.

i see that same pattern. I dont think its previous arrests or anything like that. Its how they approach the game. How invested they are in the team winning. If they arent where they need to be, they cant be on the team.

I think they liked Dareus enough as a player and a person to give him a clean slate and let him prove whether he was or wasnt the type of player they need and one they are willing to continue being the highest paid player on the team. He didnt/couldnt do it.

The problem with him is he constantly says hes going to change and then he doesnt. But even when he would say that hes going to change he never looked like he cared.

Exactly. It's the approach to the game and all that it entails. Year round dedication to conditioning, first in and last out for practices, diligent film study, having the backs of every teammate, etc, where a "team first" mentality if always present. It's a mindset that means you're willing to run through a wall to achieve team goals. The Bills had that in their glory years and I'm not surprised at the similarity in roster purging that occurred then and is occurring now. Levy in inherited a boatload of disgruntled vets who suffered through the Stephenson and Bullough years and it didn't take long for him and Polian to get rid of them. I see McD/Beane doing the same kind of thing in order to establish their vision.

How are you defining character? If it includes seeking those players with the traits of a choir boy, you couldn't be more far off. It's about "football character" and the personality characteristics that lend themselves to that trait. Dareus is sorely lacking in that department.

So were Randy Moss, Corey Dillon, Aaron Hernandez, Golden Tate, Percy Harvin, Marshawn Lynch, etc... Sometimes you need to overlook personalities that you dont like if the talent (and contract) warrants it. You need to find ways to make it work.

Trade Now compared to Cut after season has the SAME impact of the 14.5M dead money.

They just saved a bit more cap this year by the trade now.

It was stupid to make the team weaker in a playoff run.

The timing is rather odd given where the team currently is and it leaves them with absolutely no size on the DL to remain stout against the run. From a financial perspective, the cap savings for '17 and '18 don't add up to making much sense.

This and this.

So you know what, the ONLY THING that makes sense is IF somehow, being in the playoffs ISN'T in the plan of Beane. Not McDermott, but Beane. (McDermott as a coach wants to win, all the time). Beane wants higher picks. Beane wants more picks. And finally, Beane doesn't want to see this roster constructed by Whaley to have ANY success whatsoever, so that HE can look better. THAT is the logic that makes the most sense to me. All the other nonsense BS about culture and stuff, is just gas, smoke, to cover up the real motivation.

When you consider the cap we roll over our total savings is higher than people think. And again, this is less about salary and more about dumping a player that doesnt fit into the culture were building. Hes one slip up from a 10 game suspension. He publicly disrespected the new regime. I have no clue why people want us spending any kind of additional cap on Dareus at all. Whaley screwed us so bad we have to pay him something just to get rid of him but thats not McBeanes fault. Ultimately we will have more money for depth at the bottom of our roster, one more low pick to use for a trade up, and best of all this unmotivated loser wont be around the team anymore. When Kyle Williams is telling the media you need to have more accountability, your career here is over.

5M in savings this year. Point still remains it was a HORRIBLE timed trade.

The trade itself is no issue. I have no issue trading Dareus but NOT for a 6th in season to a team you are fighting for a playoff spot with.

I'm speaking from a coach and not fan perspective. Get a clue.

They had to send him home from a preseason game. He was losing snaps. Either suspend him or they could have just made him inactive every game andceat his salary. And would make no sense.

No he was actually gaining snaps as he was getting healthier and playing much better as well.

I think the same poster was saying he is almost suspended last night for 10 games, whatever that means?

no, I was that poster and this was the post:

i am not surprised by the trade but thought they would get more in return. The fact that they have been trying to trade him since summer and this is all they could get pretty much says it all. They are teams in much worse shape on the DL than Jax. No one thought he was worth the contract, and hes so close to the 10 game suspension.

I still dont know why you are so confused by it or why you keep insisting I said *almost* suspended

Edited by YoloinOhio

So were Randy Moss, Corey Dillon, Aaron Hernandez, Golden Tate, Percy Harvin, Marshawn Lynch, etc... Sometimes you need to overlook personalities that you dont like if the talent (and contract) warrants it. You need to find ways to make it work.

Three different HCs can't get through to the guy. When does it become his and not other people'a fault?

Then it's good you're not a GM. Taking an unmotivated guy at a very high cap rate is no way to build a winning team.

Face it. Several different coaches now, guys with different styles from Marrone to Rex to Sean. Different defensive schemes and DCs. And he simply does not show evidence of getting it. So spare me the bit about how it's the coaches that are responsible for motivating him. Coughlin will destroy this kid.

Ha Ha, the best part about this is that you dont even understand the cap ramifications!! Go back to the shallow end. Its not just about the player or the return. Its about the cost benefit. I would rather Dareus through next year than Vallejo and $2M.

Most people here seem to be doing their happy dance over this move. Seems like a mistake to me, but at this point I am reconciled to the fact that McBeane are going to do what they are going to do, and if I am going to be a fan of this team I should just go along for the ride. It's all on them, and if it works I will be happy and if it blows up in their faces I reserve to right to say they are idiots.

there are a lot of variables that one can use to argue for/against as a good/bad move. Dareus is a great player in a scheme that allows him to do what he wants to do. In McDs scheme, its not worth paying the money for someone whos role is to eat up two blockers. Add on the long term salary drag, and it makes a lot of sense. Given the scheme, Dareus contribution is marginal, as it shows in the stats. Im sure he will flourish with the Jags though.

Proud of it too.

:lol: You should be. I know (well, think) it was a Lord of the Rings reference. But that's about it.

If that's the conversation then it's a pretty moronic one. Sadly, that's par for the course around here lately. Every future late round pick is not Tanner Vallejo, that's a ridiculous notion. We can't quantify the negative effect Dareus has on the locker room with numbers so it becomes easy to dismiss. Apathy and laziness are contagious, and I think this sends a fantastic message to the locker room - "We don't care about your contract, go hard every day or you're getting shipped out."

What do you think the rest of the league was offering for him this offseason? Probably nothing or a 7th round conditional pick. This guy was one more missed meeting away from being outright cut.

I agree comparing ONLY Dareus to a typical 6th round pick isn't the most intelligent way to judge this trade. But let's not overstate the value of the vast majority of 6th rd. picks. Far more look like Vallejo than Brady. And so far I have seen ZERO evidence Dareus was a problem in the locker room. Does this D look apathetic and lazy? If the run D regresses, are you going to say "See, Dareus was holding that locker room together"? Didn't think so.

This is where all the decoy arguments fail. And fail they do

Uhh, yes we did. $33m in cap savings over the next 3 1/2 years. I'm not sure why many people are leaving this out.

Is he worth $33m over the next 3 1/2 years? That's the question everyone should be posing to themselves?

When will his production finally speak for himself?

I believe this was in reference to Sammy. If not, please ignore. But a WR has very little control over whether or not he gets the ball. He virtually never throws it to himself. He can control getting open, running good routes and catching the passes that come his way---and other contributions like blocking and such. And I'm not defending Sammy here, as I have not watched enough of the Rams, this year. But a good detailed analysis of the situation is far more valuable than just looking at stats, for a WR. IMO, of course.