Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This team is moving to the AVG talent good character Dicky J and Marv years

Thats my fear. I like a lot of what is happening on the field. I believe in McDermott as a coach. I have some real questions about the way that the roster has been managed. Its a balance between talent and character. You cant abandon one or the other. You need both.

Thats my fear. I like a lot of what is happening on the field. I believe in McDermott as a coach. I have some real questions about the way that the roster has been managed. Its a balance between talent and character. You cant abandon one or the other. You need both.

I understand your concerns about moving players like Watkins and Dareus, but the truth is everyone is talented in this league. Properly motivated talent (i.e., good character) can take a team over the top.

How are you defining character? If it includes seeking those players with the traits of a choir boy, you couldn't be more far off. It's about "football character" and the personality characteristics that lend themselves to that trait. Dareus is sorely lacking in that department.

Yes and said that they arent trading him. They arent going to sell low. They are trying to get him back engaged and let him help down the stretch. He is a WAY bigger headache than Dareus.

Who are you getting with $2M and a 6th round pick that make it worthwhile? Id take Dareus over that through next year all day.

Then it's good you're not a GM. Taking an unmotivated guy at a very high cap rate is no way to build a winning team.

Face it. Several different coaches now, guys with different styles from Marrone to Rex to Sean. Different defensive schemes and DCs. And he simply does not show evidence of getting it. So spare me the bit about how it's the coaches that are responsible for motivating him. Coughlin will destroy this kid.

This is an article from August about how the Bills could move on from Dareus:

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/28772/when-could-the-bills-get-out-from-marcell-dareus-contract

Trading Dareus this season. Trading Dareus before this season would result in a cap savings of $9.75 million in 2017 -- Dareus' base salary -- but a $14.2 million dead-money charge in 2018 from the acceleration of his signing bonus proration. Given that the Bills could roll over the $9.75 million in 2017 savings into their 2018 cap, the dead money could be palatable. However, any team acquiring Dareus in a trade would be taking on risk by inheriting the 2017-21 seasons of his deal. In addition to Dareus' fully guaranteed $9.75 million salary in 2017, his new team would be on the hook for the fully guaranteed portion ($7.35 million) of his $9.925 million salary in 2018, as well as non-guaranteed salaries of $8.335 million (2019), $12.35 million (2020) and $12.4 million (2021). If any team was willing to take on that contract, the risk would cost the Bills in the trade compensation that team would receive.

So maybe they could cut him after 2018 with no dead cap, Im still not clear on that. At the end of the day hes an average player at an unimportant position, and hes the kind of person that gets drunk and mouths off to random Jims Steakout employees about how he hates the new Bills coaches. I dont want him on the team. I would have been happy to let him go for nothing. Getting any pick at all is crazy to me.

How are you defining character? If it includes seeking those players with the traits of a choir boy, you couldn't be more far off. It's about "football character" and the personality characteristics that lend themselves to that trait. Dareus is sorely lacking in that department.

i see that same pattern. I dont think its previous arrests or anything like that. Its how they approach the game. How invested they are in the team winning. If they arent where they need to be, they cant be on the team.

I think they liked Dareus enough as a player and a person to give him a clean slate and let him prove whether he was or wasnt the type of player they need and one they are willing to continue being the highest paid player on the team. He didnt/couldnt do it.

The problem with him is he constantly says hes going to change and then he doesnt. But even when he would say that hes going to change he never looked like he cared. They need players on this team who care or they will never turn the corner.

Teams like the Pats and Steelers and Seahawks can take on or keep these types of players because they already have a winning culture. The Bills do not. They have to build one and they are trying to do that. Its not an overnight thing, they are overcoming decades of incompetence.

That said if martavis Bryant had the same contract Dareus does instead of his peanuts contract, hed be gone.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Bills forever spinning their wheels. Create holes just to have to fill the created holes.

There is never any progress

Now need another DT in offseason so instead on one you now need two.

Need a plethora of WRs

Still need OG likely two

A QB

RB is also a big need

DBs still a need

Toss some LBers in there.

Edited by MAJBobby

We save $2.3M next year and $5.7M this year. We can roll that over unless we use it. It was minimal or none to release him after 2018. I dont remember the number.

We will absolutely roll that cap over. We got rid of a player who had zero motivation and got additional cap space to use in the future. For a player who hasnt played more than 1/3 of the total snaps this year. McDermott is building a team and I believe well see the fruits of that within a couple of seasons.

Bills forever spinning their wheels. Create holes just to have to fill the created holes.

There is never any progress

Now need another DT in offseason so instead on one you now need two.

Need a plethora of WRs

Still need OG likely two

A QB

RB is also a big need

DBs still a need

Toss some LBers in there.

Win Sunday they can be first in the division. But no progress. Right.