Dareus traded to Jacksonville!

HappyDays

"played very well last home" Based on what? Just because you want to believe that. Playing very well means you did something other than absorbing blocks.

"AFTER the season (would have got better than a 6th) and a heck of a lot more cap space." First how do you know they would have gotten better than a 6th? They have been trying to trade him for a long time. Why would next year definitely be different? No they wouldn't have a heck of a lot more cap space. It would be worse because he would be on the books until 2019 instead of 2018.

Yeah they don't want to deal with him. Neither did just about anyone else. He isn't worth dealing with.

Based on what the film showed and what the coaches said. He also played well against CIN.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes i do watch Football regularly and understand posituon play now Kyle will face the Double Teams. This hurts the Bills no matter how you try and spin it

You keep ignoring that they did just fine without Dareus the other 67% of the snaps. Tampa was the highest snap count Dareus has seen and also the worst defensive performance of the season.

But we are NOT in the thick of the Super Bowl conversation. Until we are, Beane will make every decision that improves next season even if it makes us a little worse this season. Theyre trying to build consistent championship contenders. Dareus was never going to be a part of that. No DT is, let alone a lazy unmotivated one.

This trade is so obviously good to me and it seems like to people on the other side it is obviously bad. I dont know how to reconcile that.

I dont think maybe it is bad. It is HORRIBLY TIMED.

I know Dareus was not going to be on this team next year. But to weaken your team while in a playoff hint is POORLY TIMED

By trading him now instead of cutting him after the season, we save over $7 million in cap space in 2018. What Im not sure of is would we have had to pay him in 2019 too if we kept him this season? I cant find that info anywhere.

Yes we would have had to pay him in 2019 if we kept him the rest of this season and then dumped him. I posted the scenarios earlier in the thread.

"played very well last home" Based on what? Just because you want to believe that. Playing very well means you did something other than absorbing blocks.

"AFTER the season (would have got better than a 6th) and a heck of a lot more cap space." First how do you know they would have gotten better than a 6th? They have been trying to trade him for a long time. Why would next year definitely be different? No they wouldn't have a heck of a lot more cap space. It would be worse because he would be on the books until 2019 instead of 2018.

Yeah they don't want to deal with him. Neither did just about anyone else. He isn't worth dealing with.

No it doesnt. He was asked to abosorb blocks and keep Lbers free. He does that better than anyone on this team and can hold and stack those doubles better than anyone on this team.

Removing that HURTs this defense and you will see that as the season goes on. Wait until a DT gets hurt

Dareus in the DT rotation is better than the DT rotation without Dareus

Really? Did we win those games????? Ahhh NOPE we didnt. Keep trying this was a dumb trade for a FO and Coach that just didnt want to deal with him.

This is just chalked full of lies.

Snap count by game

1-58% W

2-26% L

3-30% W

4-33% L

5-56% W

There is no pattern their.

We gave up the most yards this season when dareus was in the last game.

What it shows is this team can and will suceed with out a lazy player that had linited value.

The losses the TEAM had werent because a lazy player in Dareus wasnt out there for another 50ish snaps on the season.

Re-read what I wrote. McDermott is winning with a roster Whaley built.

He is? Whaley wasnt the GM when we acquired Cordy Glenn, Eric Wood, Jerry Hughes, TreDavious White, EJ Gaines, Jordan Poyer, Micah Hyde, Kyle Williams, or Steven Hauschka. Thats almost our entire core of starting caliber players.

Whaley gets credit as GM for Tyrod Taylor, Richie Incognito, Shaq Lawson, Lorenzo Alexander, and Preston Brown. Unless Im forgetting someone that is really unimpressive.

Edited by HappyDays

Not sure what else there is to say about this. McDermott and Beane obviously disagree with your assessment that Dareus is a top end talent, or at least that his talent outweighs the headache he brings to the organization. I think Ill go with their assessment of the situation.

Yeah blindly follow that has worked for the last 17 years

Here's how you win trades and make your team better: take a look at what Danny Ainge did for Celtics by trading away their declining stars in Garnett, Pierce, and Jason Terry to the nets: a bunch of role players and 4 first round picks. You OVERSELL the talent that you have.

Another example: everyone knows you want to move a certain star player. He's not been playing well for you. He wants out. You want him out. You are going to lose him via cut or FA. You trade him and still get value for him. Carmelo Anthony trade from Denver to Knicks. Everyone knew Denver had to deal him. Denver was gonna lose him to FA. Yet Denver still got talented players AND 1st round draft picks in return for him. They got SOMETHING out of NOTHING.

So that's the job of the GM. 1) Improve your team's over-all talent. 2) GET SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING.

And 3) Here's what's also bad about this trade - it IMPROVED A PLAYOFF RIVAL AT THEIR WEAKEST POSITION. Jags are great against pass. They don't have that DT who can stop runs. Eat up blockers. Santa Beane comes along... here Doug, a freebie from us! Just send us a training camp body in 2018 and we're good!

You keep ignoring that they did just fine without Dareus the other 67% of the snaps. Tampa was the highest snap count Dareus has seen and also the worst defensive performance of the season.

I am not ignoring it. How was the run defense against Tampa?

So wich DTs are picking up Dareus run defensive snaps and stacking those Doubles. Because you can go with the 67% number. But who is taking his 33% against Doubles now?

Also how has Kyle looked when next to Worthy or Washington? Pretty bad why? Because now Kyle has to face the Doubles Dareus was

Really? Did we win those games????? Ahhh NOPE we didnt. Keep trying this was a dumb trade for a FO and Coach that just didnt want to deal with him.

Dareus missed the Denver game completely. Yeah we won the game. Denver scored 16 points. His snap count against Carolina was 26%. Carolina scored 9 points. His snap count against Atlanta was 30%. Atlanta scored 17 points. His snap count against Cinci was 33%. Cinci scored 20 points. His snap count against TB was 57%. TB scored 27 points.

Yes we would have had to pay him in 2019 if we kept him the rest of this season and then dumped him. I posted the scenarios earlier in the thread.

Only if they kept him passes his guarantee date which i think was the 3rd day of the new league year

Otherwise it would have been just the 14.5M dead that they have now

Edited by MAJBobby

What DT is picking up Dareuss snaps.

Dont you think that Worthy and Washington are effective because they are not playing all the time and facing double teams all the time?

Dareus played about 30% of snaps. Somehow the run D survived and did well with the other DTs the other 70% of the time.

Dareus played about 30% of snaps. Somehow the run D survived and did well with the other DTs the other 70% of the time.

Have you looked at the situational snaps Dareus Faced compared the the other DTs. I bet not. That is why you have no idea what you really are talking about just using an overall percentage

The Dareus transaction isn't something to lament about--- it's a transaction that should be praised. It demonstrates that the organization has an ethos that centers around effort, team mentality and character. The Bills are rebuilding the roster with the type of players who fit the ethos that is being promoted. It's not just idle talk. It's being enacted on.

I have said it before that I don't think this is a playoff team mostly because it is too thin. As the season advances the injuries are going to deplete the talent. But I'm not disturbed by that. What I see that I am encouraged about is an organization that is acting in unison and purpose. This new regime isn't simply talking the good talk; they are acting it out. Kudos!

Meh take.

The organizational dysfunction narrative is relatively new...........started with Marrone because Russ chose the coach instead of letting his incoming GM do it.

Before that Chan and Buddy and Dick and his GM's and Donahoe and his coaches were pretty much in lockstep.

Long term it still comes down to the players making plays and they are greatly subtracting from their talent pool in the name of something that has generally proven impossible........winning without stars.

Very reminiscent of the that Jauron era........they will be using a lot of draft picks to fill holes they dug for themselves and the odds of those picks turning out to be the kind of talent they let go are small.

Not saying it can't be done...........it just HASN'T been done..........which should be cause for concern.

Trade Now compared to Cut after season has the SAME impact of the 14.5M dead money.

They just saved a bit more cap this year by the trade now.

It was stupid to make the team weaker in a playoff run.

Wrong. Cut at end of season would result in a 2018 21.6m dead cap hit.

Dareus missed the Denver game completely. Yeah we won the game. Denver scored 16 points. His snap count against Carolina was 26%. Carolina scored 9 points. His snap count against Atlanta was 30%. Atlanta scored 17 points. His snap count against Cinci was 33%. Cinci scored 20 points. His snap count against TB was 57%. TB scored 27 points.

What was Atlanta Cinci TB running numbers?

And what were the situations of Dareus snaps? Run downs or pass downs. But hey just keep looking at an overall percentage and think this defense isnt weaker today than it was Monday

He is? Whaley wasnt the GM when we acquired Cordy Glenn, Eric Wood, Jerry Hughes, TreDavious White, EJ Gaines, Jordan Poyer, Micah Hyde, Kyle Williams, or Steven Hauschka. Thats almost our entire core of starting caliber players.

Whaley gets credit as GM for Tyrod Taylor, Richie Incognito, Shaq Lawson, Lorenzo Alexander, and Preston Brown. Unless Im forgetting someone that is really unimpressive.

McCoy and Clay don't count? How about Zach Brown whom the Bills should have resigned? How isn't Hyde and White linked to Whaley?

Edited by Real McCoy

I am not sure about how the cap works with regards to MD's contract. My sense is that after 2018, we could get out from under with relative lack of pain.

If so, all the savings calculating in 2019 - 2021 money is largely illusory. There must be some real savings that opens up flexibility going forward.

My question is whether a deal could have been swung after the season, because the timing certainly does not help this season.