Schefter has trade ideas for Bills to make a playoff run

CanadianFan

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21145352/some-wild-ideas-2017-nfl-trade-deadline

Marcell Dareus to the Cowboys for a fifth-round pick

The Bills were active this offseason and have one more move to make, clearing a huge dead cap figure for Dareus in 2018 and creating more cap flexibility. The Cowboys add talent to the interior of the defensive line and give Rod Marinelli a key piece down the stretch.

John Brown to the Bills for a fifth-round pickJohn Brown could be elsewhere in 2018, so perhaps the Cardinals could extract some value for him now. Rich Schultz/Getty Images

A case where the Cardinals get something for Brown now, while the Bills get a weapon for a playoff run. Tyrod Taylor throws a great deep ball, and Brown can get behind a defense.

Schefter also has Bryant going to Bears.

But there's NO WAY McBeane trades a 5th round pick to Cards for an 8-game rental of a former 7th round receiver. NO WAY.

And why would we trade Dareus for a 5th round pick only? And this year?

If we're going for wild ideas, Bryant with 1.5 years left in contract makes more sense for Bills than this Brown guy.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Brown makes sense but for a 6th, conditions added.

Sal was throwing the name Pryor around for an OT. That is interesting.

They are in desperate need. Henderson and or mills. Pryor is a bit of a head case. Could be an interesting deep threat though for Taylor. Is quicker and fast than Matthews or Jones and has legit size.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21145352/some-wild-ideas-2017-nfl-trade-deadline

Schefter also has Bryant going to Bears.

But there's NO WAY McBeane trades a 5th round pick to Cards for an 8-game rental of a former 7th round receiver. NO WAY.

And why would we trade Dareus for a 5th round pick only? And this year?

If we're going for wild ideas, Bryant with 1.5 years left in contract makes more sense for Bills than this Brown guy.

Yeah I don't trade Dareus for a 5th round pick........it's just a no fit deal, IMO. Kyle Williams is fading and based on past history it wouldn't be a surprise if he didn't finish the season.......he's had injury issues and behind he and Dareus there are guys who don't look like they could start. Dareus would probably be thrilled to be traded to Dallas though.

Brown would be a great fit for Taylor........a 5th isn't much but it seems about a round too rich for a one-trick short-term rental, IMO.......maybe throw in AD too? McCoy, AD and Tolbert in the backfield would be like one of those bucket list buddy flix.

It would probably be a mistake for the Steelers to trade Bryant at this point...........we've seen how slippery that slope is.......when you give in to players with little or no leverage everyone thinks they have an out..........that's really what lead the Bills into a decade of irrelevance when Marv Levy and Dick Jauron basically started dealing or allowing anyone who didn't think they wanted to be a Buffalo Bill leave. Extremely dumb move by Bryant making such a scene........much better chance he'd have been dealt if he just kept his mouth shut.

John Brown makes sense but for a 6th, conditions added.

Sal was throwing the name Pryor around for an OT. That is interesting.

Yeah Pryor would be pretty cool. How's he as a team guy?

One thought I have to ask is - Schefter is a pretty credible guy around the league. He's tossed out these ideas because maybe there's some discussion going on out there?

Yeah Pryor would be pretty cool. How's he as a team guy?

Bit the bullet and switched from QB to WR, and put in the work to try to do well at it. Seems like a good start.

Along that same vein, Braxton Miller has been a healthy scratch for a couple weeks in Houston I think.

Nice imagination but I still don't see a team out there willing to take on Dareus contract. Even without his attitude and off the field stuff it's way too burdensome from a cap stanpoint.

Dreamers can dream though and I'm sure Beane will be trying up until the deadline next week....

If he plays even close to how he is capable it's not bad once you strip the dead money -- and the new team would be free of that

Yeah I wouldnt trade a $100M player who still has 2-3 pro bowl years (if you can get it out of him left), with no real major injury history for a 5th.

Maybe Dareus and a 5th for.... a 2nd and 7th. But for just a 5th... nope. Or Dareus and our Later 2nd for Dallas 1st.

Sorry - Dareus is virtually untradable unless the new team takes on more of his salary, and I don't even know if that is possible with the way his contract is written. Even if he was, I would need much more than a 5th.

His 2018 base salary is already guaranteed, but if we trade him we don't have to pay it. We'd be on the hook for his salary this season through this week. 15 million in signing bonus money. And an other 5.6 million in option bonus money. so about 20.6 + we'll say 4.5 million of 2017 base salary.

You can split it over this year and next, but the dead hit for this season would put us right up on the cap, and would then add another ton of dead money into 2018. So rather than carry over 10 million to make our cap higher - our cap would be standard, and we'd have a 10 million dead money hit on it.

If we trade him in the offseason next year we'd be on the hook for the remaining 10 million in signing bonus, and 4.2 in option bonus money. I'm not sure how splitting cap hits works when you trade a player though. Cutting him next year would be difficult, as most of his 2018 base salary is guaranteed.

I want Pryor. He would fit Taylor very well.

He's a pure rental, who has no history with the coaches or players on the team.

The Bills should trade for a former Buckeye QB to play WR. Miller and/or TP would help this team.

The Dareus trade makes little to no sense. The Bills need to figure out how to get him going not get rid of him. They need him (at least through this year).

Would love to have Miller or TP.......physically TP is the ideal......but I thought TP was considered a top 10 in the league level A-hole tho?

His stock-improving season in Washington has been a disaster.........Taylor throwing to him deep would be about the best fit he could hope for.

Pryor would be nice. I can't see flipping a 5th rounder to Cards for a rental in Brown, but a 5th is what it is. And if McBean things that Brown and TT could have chemistry, this could be worthwhile. (would also open up the underneath for Clay/O'Leary, Thompson, and Jones).

If he plays even close to how he is capable it's not bad once you strip the dead money -- and the new team would be free of that

If the switch comes on for Dareus he could be great again, IMO.

The problem as I see it is that he has reached the point in his career where he can't just roll out of bed and beat the man in front of him and remain healthy.

Men hit their athletic peak in their mid 20's.....24-26 years of age........and after that you get hurt easier and have to work to maintain ability and somewhere between Rex arriving and now I think he's gotten there.

He needs to decide if he wants to really work for it and keep the big paychecks and prestige or just get fatter and accept a bit less to be a Magox in the middle of some DL for the next 5 years.