Drought will end: Taylor is here to stay.......for now

Mikie2times

In a parity driven league, falling more victim to that description by the day, you either have an elite QB or your nothing. In that, even teams with the so called elite signal callers have fallen to the wayside. Who are the the tier 1 contenders in the AFC with an elite QB? NE, KC, PIT? You could argue KC and PIT may or may not fit that description. Most elite QB's have had father time run it's course. While these QB's can still show signs of former greatness the pure dominance that elevated them and the teams they played for isn't the same as it once was. In all this parity teams are trying to follow the win with QB blue print, they do so at the expense of development which often shows up in the form of losing. Specifically, losing through turnovers. Not I say the Buffalo Bills.

What makes us special? We never turn the ball over. Repeat like Billy Bean in Moneyball. We never turn the ball over. We know who Tyrod is and isn't. Not a pocket passer, chunk plays buying time, great runner, good deep ball, sacks, poor vision.... etc. He doesn't turn the ball over and he moves the chains enough in combination without turning it over to win games. Now, for the first time, we compliment that style with a defense that generates turnovers in chunks. This team is +10 in turnover margin and while that tends to be one of the least consistent stats around, we do it in such a way that makes it nearly certain it will continue. As stated, Taylor will not suddenly start turning it over. He's been playing turnover free ball since arriving in Buffalo. Now he has a defense that pressures the QB, forces dink and dunk long drives, and poor decisions....

Yes, the drought will end this year. I don't say that as hopeful, fandom, chain reaction, etc. We currently lead the league in turnovers and I expect us to finish the year in the top 3 in that area. You finish top 3 and you make the playoffs. I never would have thought it would be this year, this team. We can beat anybody and we can lose to anybody. In the end it will be a Wild Card.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im good with Tyrod for now IF hes going to run. The way he played Sunday, is how he needs to play. Forget trying to make him a drop back passer. Let him do what he does. If Tyrod is going to use his legs, Im good. If hes going to try and stay in the pocket and drop back...Im not

Sounds like he gets that based on his post game presser

Edited by judman

Im good with Tyrod for now IF hes going to run. The way he played Sunday, is how he needs to play. Forget trying to make him a drop back passer. Let him do what he does. If Tyrod is going to use his legs, Im good. If hes going to try and stay in the pocket and drop back...Im not

Always been that way - I tend to like to think of it more as rolling him out more/run pass options - by design.

When TT is moving, he's actually very accurate. There's as many play he scorches Defenses with his legs for 20+ yd scampers as there is when he moves out of the pocket, improvises and continues to look down field. His arm is as dangerous as his legs when things go "street" ball.

Now we have a speed guy out there with DT and Jordan Matthews back there are more weapons he can hurt a team with than he had in the Cincy debacle.

Things are bright(er) for TT after just one week.

The Tyrod we saw Sunday is a QB that can win us games and just maybe play a big part in ending The Drought. The question is did we see an aberration or an evolution?

Playing another good through-the-air team like the Raiders could result in more evolution.....roll-outs, the need to have a passing game to come back, etc...

On the other hand, and to bring up an old debate, "this style of winning is not sustainable."

I see one game left on the schedule that should be a given win--Indy. Every other game will be tight, even the Jets. If the breaks don't go the Bills way, they can easily lose more than they win the rest of the way. While I'm optimistic about the way this team plays and is coached, it's still too soon to say they will break the drought.

On the other hand, and to bring up an old debate, "this style of winning is not sustainable."

I see one game left on the schedule that should be a given win--Indy. Every other game will be tight, even the Jets. If the breaks don't go the Bills way, they can easily lose more than they win the rest of the way. While I'm optimistic about the way this team plays and is coached, it's still too soon to say they will break the drought.

This has been my feeling all season so far... until last Sunday. This team will blow out nobody, but have shown the ability to play with anybody. The breaks, both good and bad, are going to happen and this coaching staff has demonstrated the ability to adjust on the fly. Beginning to trust they have an answer for most things. The Bucs no huddle puts up 27 and our passing game comes to life and puts up 30. This is what good teams do, pick up the slack when one phase of the games is lacking. This style is not just sustainable, it's preferable. My question is; is that what we just saw, or a combination of good luck and a bad Bucs defense? Hope for the former, prepared (emotionally) for the latter.

Pump the breaks chief. We were 4-2 last year as well then Taylor turned into guano.

Yeah. The Bills were 7th in scoring in week 16 before Taylor was sat down. What a crap show! :lol:

Maybe you forgot about that incredible Rex & Rob Ryan defense last year. I think they called it "bend but don't split your pants."

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Even if the Bills draft a QB in the next draft they aren't going to be rushed in to start. So get set for Taylor for at least another season.

And that is the right approach. What I will criticise however is if they suddenly rush to extend Tyrod again after the season based on this level of play. They should be drafting a Quarterback with the idea that at some point 2018 he becomes the starter and Tyrod moves on at the end of the 2018 season. Leave themselves flexibility to adjust that plan - sure. But don't get themselves back into the long term commitment to Tyrod position they ended up in this offseason. That would be a mistake.

Edited by GunnerBill

Pump the breaks chief. We were 4-2 last year as well then Taylor turned into guano.

The difference between last year's 4-2 -- against some of the worst teams in the league -- and this year's record is night and day. I'm not saying this year's team is bound for glory, but last year's early record was a smokescreen.

my question is... what happened to the WCO? answer: Tyrod.

someone kick that record player above me. it is broke again...

The QB could not run it so therefore the OC had to implement a specific type of offense the QB can execute for this year

And that is the right approach. What I will criticise however is if they suddenly rush to extend Tyrod again after the season based on this level of play. They should be drafting a Quarterback with the idea that at some point 2018 he becomes the starter and Tyrod moves on at the end of the 2018 season. Leave themselves flexibility to adjust that plan - sure. But don't get themselves back into the long term commitment to Tyrod position they ended up in this offseason. That would be a mistake.

id imagine they would and could franchise tag Tyrod for one more season and he would take the opportunity to showcase himself. Much like Alex Smith this season

We have a lot of potential NFL GM candidates on this forum who think Taylor is going to just take another pay cut for the privilege of starting for the Bills next year. You should watch some of the other current NFL starters.

Ahhhh the same thing that was said last year and what did he do......

Took a paycut to play here yet again because there was NO MARKET for him

We have a lot of potential NFL GM candidates on this forum who think Taylor is going to just take another pay cut for the privilege of starting for the Bills next year. You should watch some of the other current NFL starters.

I don't think he will. I think he will play on his existing contract which is $16m next year. That is still in the "bridge QB" territory. I wouldn't object to them extending him one more year at that kind of money if he were amenable. I don't want them to commit long term big money to him though. They should be looking at who their next long term QB will be.

how many more times will you need to say this to reach a million ?

153 posts-how do you know how many times I've posted anything? Unless you have been here before. And promo posted the same thing to you. Doesn't fit your agenda.

I don't think he will. I think he will play on his existing contract which is $16m next year. That is still in the "bridge QB" territory. I wouldn't object to them extending him one more year at that kind of money if he were amenable. I don't want them to commit long term big money to him though. They should be looking at who their next long term QB will be.

And that is what will happen. $16MM in 2018. He's not cutting his salary like some here think.

my question is... what happened to the WCO? answer: Tyrod.

someone kick that record player above me. it is broke again...

Still getting worthless digs in. Can't enjoy another W. Let's not play to a QB's strengths so we can win games, and then we can keep an agenda going.

Still getting worthless digs in. Can't enjoy another W. Let's not play to a QB's strengths so we can win games, and then we can keep an agenda going.

right, i didn't think you would have an answer. there is however a rightful answer, because you choose to ignore doesn't lesson it's importance.

carry on with your broken record mumblings and nevermind me.

;)

Edited by Foxx

Ahhhh the same thing that was said last year and what did he do......

Took a paycut to play here yet again because there was NO MARKET for him

You underestimate Taylor's commitment to this team and franchise. This is the same guy that took less money to come to Buffalo versus Denver after leaving Baltimore. The same guy who paid out of his own pocket to have his receivers work out with him in the offseason. If Mike Friggin Glennon could get $16 million from the Bears, there's no doubt in my mind Taylor could've bolted and made at least that and probably a few million more.

Edited by Bills757

I agree the best way for Tyrod to do well is running...but

A running QB is at bigger risk for injury it's why they were pushing him to learn to stay in the pocket more, it's working now and hopefully he will stay healthy but when you push this risk more and more odds go up to get hit more and more.

They need to stay on course and draft a top QB in 2018, NE drafts QBs all the time while having a HOF type QB. I am all in on this staff if they draft a top QB in 2018, if they avoid it I see them not lasting and will lose my respect. The only way I would give Tyrod a raise at the end of this year is if he got us to the SB, if he sticks around his contract pays more anyway so no need to adjust it, playoffs 2 years in a row ok then let's talk. A lucky wild card birth with a 1st round loss any backup type QB could get lucky with for one season if all goes your way in a season.

I have one leg on the Tyrod wagon in hopes he can get better, this last game helped but you know its Tyrod he has let us down many, many times. He still has a big hill to climb. IMO

IMO posters need to stop propping him up, make him work harder to get our respect back, the fans deserve more from the most important position in football. He is working extra hard I want him to keep getting better, can Tyrod do it? We will see. Go Bills

Edited by xRUSHx

You underestimate Taylor's commitment to this team and franchise. This is the same guy that took less money to come to Buffalo versus Denver after leaving Baltimore. The same guy who paid out of his own pocket to have his receivers work out with him in the offseason. If Mike Friggin Glennon could get $16 million from the Bears, there's no doubt in my mind Taylor could've bolted and made at least that and probably a few million more.

There was NO MARKET for him last year as a starting QB, and that is exactly why he redid his contract

A certain few hate the guy and won't be happy till he's out of Buffalo. Crusher was part of this bunch and he has been banned. What does that tell you.

Agendas and crusades are terrible things. It's put above getting wins. Not healthy.

just because you repeat things a million times will not suddenly make them come true.

i'll tell you what is not healthy, you.

am i to understand that just because we win, i can not critique Tyrods performance or question anything having to do with Tyrod? that is the definition of unhealthy. just run along now, mommys calling.

I haven't seen the all 22, but Tyrod still missed some wide open recievers. One in particular was a deep pass to Thompson. While he completed the pass, their was a reciever (Holmes maybe?) that had his man beaten and would've probably been a td. I'm good with Tyrod for now, but again he's missing big plays

just because you repeat things a million times will not suddenly make them come true.

i'll tell you what is not healthy, you.

am i to understand that just because we win, i can not critique Tyrods performance or question anything having to do with Tyrod? that is the definition of unhealthy. just run along now, mommys calling.

You and a few others have some serious problems with a certain Bills player that go well beyond normal. Your friend Crusher that you sided with in every argument on this topic, has been banned.