Td celebrations are over the tops

Howard

Some of the celebrations are mildly amusing, but nowadays I find that most are simply over-the-top, or just plain stupid. I have to say the hide-n-seek TD celebration was just annoying to watch. I could be in the minority on that, but it felt like hearing nails on a chalkboard.

That wasn't a celebration, it was a skit. If you're putting on an off-Broadway play, you're doing it wrong.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it's me being an old fart but just hand the ball to the ref. Like it's no big deal beating the defense. That makes more of a statement than anything.

It was good enough for Jerry Rice. Barry Sanders. Jim Brown. Most all HOF RBs and WRs. Should be good enough for these new kids.

If anyone really wanted their celebration to stand out this season, this is what they'd do.

Of course, they'd probably get ejected/suspended for almost making contact with a ref.

Entertainment to you, showboating to us old farts. And in our day if we had done anything remotely like that our butts would have been permanently nailed to the bench

Is that when you guys played with leather condoms on your heads?

350px-Dogearteam.jpg

PS. I'm just messing around.

Edited by Captain Murica

I remember when guys used to score a td at Rich stadium or even the Rockpile. My wife and son would say "dad watch him spike the ball" and weed laugh at how the ball would bounce when they threw it to the ground. Ive seen all kinds of td dances lately like the bathtub washing and the shoot the dog and the boxing match. Why do these guys feel the need to look like goofs doing these dances? At least Gronkorski just throws the ball in to the turf. Then there are these other guys that need to make a specktackle of themselves and they look dumb. They walk a dog or they pee like a dog but they look dumb. I hope Mcdermott doesn't put up with these weird dances. We are better then this.

Agree that the specktackle [sic] stuff looks dumb and we are better then [sic] this.

We should be more like Gronkorski [sic].

Some of the celebrations are mildly amusing, but nowadays I find that most are simply over-the-top, or just plain stupid. I have to say the hide-n-seek TD celebration was just annoying to watch. I could be in the minority on that, but it felt like hearing nails on a chalkboard.

Agree totally. Professionals? Act like you've been there before and plan to be there again. The only one's that truly bother me are the self aggrandizing "look at me routines" verses the celebrations as a team. So most of them...

I guess it may be due to my OL days.

One of the smartest changes the NFL made this year was not only loosening the rules, but encouraging players to get creative with their celebrations, and the custom cleats and such. I enjoy these glimpses into players' personalities.

Compared to the NBA, football players tend to be dehumanized -- that's just the nature of the sport. The helmets, "next man up", etc. Basketball obviously is more focused on the players as individuals, and though the NBA isn't touching the NFL in terms of ratings, it's approaching it in terms of national interest. The NFL allowing the players to express themselves more is a good change.

So, I think the celebrations are a small thing but emblematic of a shift I hope the league continues to take.