Fairburn: Tyrod Taylor on the Verge of a Breakout Month?

Dennison's playcalling is largely responsible for that.

Nope. Some frankly atrocious run blocking is the main reason. Has the playcalling been great? Nope.... but it has been better than the execution. Our O-line which has been arguably in the top 3 run blocking lines in the league the past two years is missing assignments, struggling to hold blocks and almost never getting to the second level.

Now we have played some absolute top defensive lines so far... especially on the interior. Kawann Short is one of my favourite players in the league... he is outstanding and Geno Atkins has looked back to something like his best. Gerald McCoy lies in wait this week... and while I think he is a better pass rusher than run defender if the line continues to fail to execute (particularly Wood and whoever plays RG) then we will not be able to get Shady going. If we can't get Shady going we can't win this game with the weapons we have out.

The good news is they have had the bye and I hope they have got some of those run blocking issues fixed. I think we will see improvement this week.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine, I'm not arguing semantics with this.

You used an incorrect verb then because Taylor doesn't suck.

So I was wrong. No hyperbole. I should have just said you were completely wrong in saying Taylor sucks, because you were.

Mahalo for the correction :thumbsup:

I'll work with you on this. He's "okay," But it really doesn't matter, because he won't be in a Bills uniform next year. I'll call him elite if Beane promises to get rid of him.

Don't come here and speak your fancy Spanish, either!

Matt Bowen ESPN Staff Writer

Really impressed with Tyrod Taylor today. With limited weapons at WR, Taylor completed 20-of-33 passes for 268 yards and a score. Taylor also rushed for 53 yards on six carries.

@BuffaloWins

1st half: Tyrod was 8 of 19 for 100 yards.

2nd half: Tyrod was 12 of 14 for 168 yards.

Matt Bowen ESPN Staff Writer

Really impressed with Tyrod Taylor today. With limited weapons at WR, Taylor completed 20-of-33 passes for 268 yards and a score. Taylor also rushed for 53 yards on six carries.

@BuffaloWins

1st half: Tyrod was 8 of 19 for 100 yards.

2nd half: Tyrod was 12 of 14 for 168 yards.

I think this reflects the game. In the first half in particular there were some plays I was really frustrated about with Taylor. The play that ended the first half was one. There was a rollout where I thought he should've throwing the ball to Thomas as another. I was actually pretty down about the first half. But I'm really impressed with the second half.

And how about that Deonte Thompson acquisition?!?!

Have to take the fact that he was facing one of the worst pass defenses in the league today into account. But he played well in the end so let's see how he can do against the Raiders. One game at a time.

Well that was the whole point of the article, our schedule gets much easier from here as far as defenses go.

Have to take the fact that he was facing one of the worst pass defenses in the league today into account. But he played well in the end so let's see how he can do against the Raiders. One game at a time.

Get ready to lose that bet you made about Peterman starting. propeller.gif

Fair critique of what Taylor is.

@BMatthewsSports

Tyrod Taylor will never be a great NFL QB but I think he doesn't get enough credit for his rare QB skills and he is OK for this Bills team.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

That's kind of the good news. We don't face many quality passing defenses the rest of the schedule. Not too many good running defenses either.

Can we also talk about that unbelievable juke he made on that pass rusher that has him dead to rights? I mean he was barreling down at him and TT broke his legs. I have never seen a QB move like he does.

Which one? Didn't he do that a couple times?

Get ready to lose that bet you made about Peterman starting. propeller.gif

Fair critique of what Taylor is.

@BMatthewsSports

Tyrod Taylor will never be a great NFL QB but I think he doesn't get enough credit for his rare QB skills and he is OK for this Bills team.

Totally forgot I even made that bet with Wayne. Thanks for the reminder :thumbsup:

Can we also talk about that unbelievable juke he made on that pass rusher that has him dead to rights? I mean he was barreling down at him and TT broke his legs. I have never seen a QB move like he does.

He did it in the Cincinnati game, too, IIRC. Maybe it was the Falcon game. Guy came in unblocked. Tyrod took one step. And the guy went sliding by out of the play. It's pretty remarkable. He masks a lot of deficiencies we have and he doesn't get much credit for it. Fans want Rudolph or Darnold or Rosen to be the franchise QB and they would get murdered with this line.

He did it in the Cincinnati game, too, IIRC. Maybe it was the Falcon game. Guy came in unblocked. Tyrod took one step. And the guy went sliding by out of the play. It's pretty remarkable. He masks a lot of deficiencies we have and he doesn't get much credit for it. Fans want Rudolph or Darnold or Rosen to be the franchise QB and they would get murdered with this line.

Yeah he does it often. This time he did a double move on the guy and it was awesome. Don't remember who the player was.

He's right when he says when you win everything's good and when you lose they wanna crucify you. The reality is that Tyrod's skill set is vastly different from modt NFL quartberbacks. Sometimes that's a good thing and sometimes it isn't.

Yeah he does it often. This time he did a double move on the guy and it was awesome. Don't remember who the player was.

He's right when he says when you win everything's good and when you lose they wanna crucify you. The reality is that Tyrod's skill set is vastly different from modt NFL quartberbacks. Sometimes that's a good thing and sometimes it isn't.

I really think this is the crux of the argument and unless we get to the AFC championship or Super Bowl it will always exist.

It's not a simple argument or answer but it is a simple difference, at least to me. And these are of course in very general and generic terms. People that don't think Tyrod is good, or "a franchise quarterback" that everyone agrees all teams want and need, or that you "can win with him" will invariably compare him to other good QBs that have won. That's a legitimate stance. And it's also something he won't normally look well in. Although, even looking at it that way he is rated higher than people give him credit for.

And he has a crappy line, no real WR and one TE who is hurt. But that doesn't seem to matter.

But again, it's a legitimate argument that he is not a great pocket passer, he is not as accurate as most if not all franchise quarterbacks (which is true), he holds the ball too long (which is true), he doesn't risk "throwing guys open" which a lot of great quarterbacks do.

All of that is true.

But it's comparing him on an unfair level. The guys these people want can't do the things he does. Routine completions by Tyrod when he avoids the rush are sacks against the guys Tyrod detractors like. He very rarely turns the ball over. Teams are 3-34 this year with three or more turnovers. Jamies Winston, whom everyone seems to want and compare and is very, very good, had two himself and three as a team.

We don't seem to value not turning the ball over.

Tyrod could have 300 yard games and 2-3 TDs games but they would come with a price. Like a lot of turnovers.

Look at our sklll players. It's insane.