RIP Gord Downie

Saw the band at a bar called Sinbads in 1991. Been following them since. Excellent band

October 18th to become a new national holiday in Canada

it will be Edited by Helpmenow

I never understood people being upset about musicians deaths. I get it now. Im 37, and so many of my best/most fun memories involved the Hip playing in the background. Gord was a Canadian Icon. I can absolutely understand how his music wasnt for everyone. But its a sad day. His quote, when asked about his brain tumor (and mind you this was at the point when he needed help reading lyrics of songs he wrote and performed thousands of time):

If it has to be terminal, you know, I didnt get hit by a train. Its given me this long way to do some of these things Ive always wanted to do. I mean its just the door; where you can say its cool man, you can go, everythings cool. Dont worry.

I never understood people being upset about musicians deaths. I get it now. Im 37, and so many of my best/most fun memories involved the Hip playing in the background. Gord was a Canadian Icon. I can absolutely understand how his music wasnt for everyone. But its a sad day. His quote, when asked about his brain tumor (and mind you this was at the point when he needed help reading lyrics of songs he wrote and performed thousands of time):

If it has to be terminal, you know, I didnt get hit by a train. Its given me this long way to do some of these things Ive always wanted to do. I mean its just the door; where you can say its cool man, you can go, everythings cool. Dont worry.

You summed up how I feel. I've never been upset about celebrity deaths but losing Gord cuts deep. So many life events that a Hip song lyric fit perfectly just will always be there

Dudes. This is the beauty of musicians. They never die. Stop your crying. !@#$ Jimi, Jerry, Janis etc etc have been gone for a long time but they live on forever. Mom, Dad, grandparents? Poof gone. Musicians? They will still be around way after we are worn food.

You summed up how I feel. I've never been upset about celebrity deaths but losing Gord cuts deep. So many life events that a Hip song lyric fit perfectly just will always be there

Steely Dan was my first concert and band, so when Walter Becker recently passed it was emotional in a nostalgic way. This was so different because he shared his impending death with his fans. I think That last televised concert struck a deep emotional chord with not just his hardcore fans, but also with those of us who only saw them a few times. RIP Gord. Edited by TPS