Matt Waldman on What is "NFL Open"?

Thurman#1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been most peoples biggest knock against TT. On the flip though this is why TT's turn over rate is so low and rating is generally high.

He needs to find that happy place in between, especially when trailing. INT's will happen on these throws if not placed proper so that only the WR can make a play.

Will this change in his game? It needs to ASAP in my belief.

"In the NFL, “wide-open,” is having 1-2 steps on the defender. “Open” is being even with the defender but in a superior position. Big difference, isn’t it."

1-2 steps is definitely not Tyrod's idea of "wide open".

He doesn't feel it in his heart and for him the receiver is still only basically almost open.

Edited by hemma

Well, let's do this again :

With a decent (not great) set of NFL-level targets, Taylor has performed well - with a good completion percentage, exceptionally good yardage per attempt, and an exceptional touchdown to interception ratio. The numbers proving this have been posted on this board so many times I don't think it's necessary to do so again, but will if prompted.

Every attempt to claim Taylor is intrinsically incapable of playing quarterback because of (insert one of the hysterically overstated fanboy "flaws" here) runs into the problem of those numbers : Give Taylor decent (not great) talent and he performs better than the average quarterback. Please note the numbers don't prove Taylor is one of the best quarterbacks in the game, nor has anyone claimed they do.

Edited by grb

With a decent (not great) set of NFL-level targets, Taylor has performed well - with a good completion percentage, exceptionally good yardage per attempt, and an exceptional touchdown to interception ratio. The numbers proving this have been posted on this board so many times I don't think it's necessary to do so again, but will if prompted.

Every attempt to claim Taylor is intrinsically incapable of playing quarterback because of (insert one of the hysterically overstated fanboy "flaws" here) runs into the problem of those numbers : Give Taylor decent (not great) talent and he performs better than the average quarterback. Please note the numbers don't prove Taylor is one of the best quarterbacks in the game, nor has anyone claimed they do.

Who is the fanboy here? Kind of seems like you, dude.

factually incorrect.

21st in YPA and 19th in YPC last year and 19th in completion %. TD/INT ratio is a garbage stat because of the point of this thread. his INT is artificially low because he refuses to make any throws except the most basic and obviously open ones. Never leads receivers and never throws anyone open. He has no ability to make decisions based on pre-snap reads and how the D is set up. The good QBs know who will be open, when and where before the snap

If Taylor threw any more INTs people would demand he be benched.

I'd take an extra pick 20 yards down field if it corresponds to 2 extra chunk plays and backing the safety off the line some.

Tyrods been good at not making the obvious mistake but in doing so he's making a lot of less obvious mistakes. If his caution ends two drives early, but saves a turnover- did we come out ahead?

factually incorrect.

21st in YPA and 19th in YPC last year and 19th in completion %. TD/INT ratio is a garbage stat because of the point of this thread. his INT is artificially low because he refuses to make any throws except the most basic and obviously open ones. Never leads receivers and never throws anyone open. He has no ability to make decisions based on pre-snap reads and how the D is set up. The good QBs know who will be open, when and where before the snap

Reading comprehension is an important life skill, along with basic knowledge of the facts - Taylor's stats in the 15 games with both Watkins and Woods playing : 63.6% comp. 8.25 YPA. 27 TD passes. 6 INTs. Now, did his performance suffer with Walter Powell, Brandon Tate, and Justin Hunter? Sure. That's to be expected. Let's look at another data set :

Tom Brady since 2009 :

With Edelman win percentage : .818. Without Edelman win percent : .684

With Edelman pass td-int : 215-44 Without Edelman td-int : 33-19

With Edelman td-in ratio : 4.9 Without Edelman td-int ratio : 1.7

The problem remains : Watkins and Woods were nowhere close to being the premium One & Two receiver pair in the league, but just their presence led to pretty damn good quarterback play from Taylor. So where does that leave all these hysterical theories "proving" Taylor is incapable of even the most basic QB skills? It leaves them looking pretty foolish.

Edited by grb

This has been most peoples biggest knock against TT. On the flip though this is why TT's turn over rate is so low and rating is generally high.

He needs to find that happy place in between, especially when trailing. INT's will happen on these throws if not placed proper so that only the WR can make a play.

Will this change in his game? It needs to ASAP in my belief.

Fergs got the right idea, but since we can't go out ang get all new Oline lets train the ones we have to play lower. (On your knees fellas)

...I can't see...

Edited by Figster

If Taylor threw any more INTs people would demand he be benched.

Because the end result would be the same.

Does it really matter that you lose the game in 4Q because you threw an INT or because you got sacked by holding the ball too long?

Fergs got the right idea, but since we can't go out ang get all new Oline lets train the ones we have to play lower. (On your knees fellas)

...I can't see...

And yet with a legitimate Number One and Two receiver to throw to, Taylor did see ( cue Amazing Grace .....).

With his offensive linemen standing proud & tall, no less.

Kinda makes you wonder if Taylor's height or the o-line's stature isn't just another red herring......

Reading comprehension is an important life skill, along with basic knowledge of the facts - Taylor's stats in the 15 games with both Watkins and Woods playing : 63.6% comp. 8.25 YPA. 27 TD passes. 6 INTs. Now, did his performance suffer with Walter Powell, Brandon Tate, and Justin Hunter? Sure. That's to be expected. Let's look at another data set :

Tom Brady since 2009 :

With Edelman win percentage : .818. Without Edelman win percent : .684

With Edelman pass td-int : 215-44 Without Edelman td-int : 33-19

With Edelman td-in ratio : 4.9 Without Edelman td-int ratio : 1.7

The problem remains : Watkins and Woods were nowhere close to being the premium One & Two receiver pair in the league, but just their presence led to pretty damn good quarterback play from Taylor. So where does that leave all these hysterical theories "proving" Taylor is incapable of even the most basic QB skills? It leaves them looking pretty foolish.

Those stats haven't been updated for 2017 I'm assuming.

And yet with a legitimate Number One and Two receiver to throw to, Taylor did see ( cue Amazing Grace .....).

Kinda makes you wonder if Taylor's height or the o-line's stature isn't just another red herring......

And speaking of red herrings, you used four lines of stats to show what could more succinctly be accomplished with two. Not to mention the unfortunate habit of attributing a team's win% to a QB (or, even more unfortunately, a WR).

Myself personally, I think Taylor could be a great QB if he could see the field better grb

I had hoped some innovative thinking on Dennisons part could help...

Edited by Figster