Random Thoughts Thread

RaoulDuke79

Had someone told me a short, couple of years ago, that I'd get a perfectly cooked piece of meat (beef, pork, etc) by putting it in a warm water bath, in a plastic bag (Ziploc or vacuum-sealed), I would've laughed in their faces.  Smoking, grilling, and pan searing had been my jam.

But getting this sous vide contraption has been flat out great.  Did a flank steak this past Friday.  Garlic, thyme, olive oil, salt, pepper in a Ziploc bag; two hours in 134F water, then wiped down with a paper towel, and added to a screaming hot cast iron pan w olive oil and butter for 1 min per side.  Perfectly done on the inside with the char that you want on the outside.  Mind blown.

Edited by TheCockSportif
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Why does a starship captain named Jean-Luc, who hails from a French vineyard, speak with a British accent?

He learned is English in England and studied at Oxford.

(Just making that up).

3 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

Had someone told me a short, couple of years ago, that I'd get a perfectly cooked piece of meat (beef, pork, etc) by putting it in a warm water bath, in a plastic bag (Ziploc or vacuum-sealed), I would've laughed in their faces.  Smoking, grilling, and pan searing had been my jam.

But getting this sous vide contraption has been flat out great.  Did a flank steak this past Friday.  Garlic, thyme, olive oil, salt, pepper in a Ziploc bag; two hours in 134F water, then wiped down with a paper towel, and added to a screaming hot cast iron pan w olive oil and butter for 1 min per side.  Perfectly done on the inside with the char that you want on the outside.  Mind blown.

I found out that telling people that you Sou Vide their steak will make them hate it, because they think you just boiled away the flavor.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

Game changer as of a few years ago. My wife now hesitates to go out to “fine steak houses” because she thinks what “we” do at home is better. I have to agree. 

We did a few quick steaks the old way last week when the son dropped in. Seared then popped in oven to finish due to lack of time. They were good, but not perfect. Sous vide steaks gets you perfect every time. 

26 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

I found out that telling people that you Sou Vide their steak will make them hate it, because they think you just boiled away the flavor.

It is your job to educate them! Feed them once and they will want to know where to get an immersion circulator! 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2017 at 11:32 AM, Buffalo716 said:

I like turtles

I’m watching ‘Interceptors’ on Netflix and the secret US base in the Pacific has a turtle in a tank; Turbo the Turtle. Film is boring and I’m scrolling TBD and laughed as I saw your comment at the exact same time as the turtle came on screen! 

On 6/11/2018 at 10:19 AM, Joe in Winslow said:

My dog is smarter than the majority of people I run into on a daily basis. 

Optometrist recommendations needed?

On 10/8/2017 at 8:26 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My 7 year old son takes these GIANT dumps. I mean, 8-9 inchers! I was thinking today...how is his little body capable of making these things? Yeesh...

I think 8.6 Courics is the World Record, not sure what the Junior World Record is? Oh, it’s Stan Marsh.

On 5/31/2022 at 4:54 AM, WhoTom said:

Why does a starship captain named Jean-Luc, who hails from a French vineyard, speak with a British accent?

Ok, how about… The English revoked the Treaty of Paris, reclaimed the title of Normandy and landed from the Channel Islands, that had always remained in British hands. It’s a courtesy to refer to the Vineyard as French… 

On 12/19/2017 at 2:46 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Here’s a random thought.  Are there “black” band-aids?  I mean, like for African Americans....I’ve never seen one.

If so, do they have different shades?  Surely a dark African straight from Somalia would have different band-aid needs than a guy like Tiger Woods.  Right?

https://www.dezeen.com/2020/06/16/band-aid-bandages-brown-black-skin-tones/amp/

Do you stop watching a film after you’ve realised it’s just a bad film or do you persist, hoping that it improves? 

9 hours ago, Shamrock said:

I think 8.6 Courics is the World Record, not sure what the Junior World Record is? Oh, it’s Stan Marsh.

Bono was the world record at 80 Courics, but Randy Marsh beat that with one over 100 Courics.

On 6/11/2022 at 10:55 AM, Shamrock said:

https://www.dezeen.com/2020/06/16/band-aid-bandages-brown-black-skin-tones/amp/

Do you stop watching a film after you’ve realised it’s just a bad film or do you persist, hoping that it improves? 

It depends on the amount of female nudity in the film, tbh.

“We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls . . . Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.”... 😝
Hunter S. Thompson

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.