Watkins admits he was selfish, upset after wins.

JM2009

Yeah he pointed it out to them while sitting on the sidelines with an injury. He played healthy game one and didn't get targets because Harvin and Clay lit it up. Also because he wasn't around for training camp to get reps with Tyrod. Its pretty stupid to complain about targets after your team just won two football games and he is on the sidelines with injury.

...not that it matters anymore, but do we even know the timing of his comments?..if memory serves me, kid did play banged up.....needing a second surgery had to be a mental setback....thinking he had rebounded only to have Bflo decline his 5th may have caused sour grapes......still wish him the best in a productive career...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember there being rumors that the Bills were very high on OBJ, and I remember thinking to myself, who?

Looking back I wish we had picked OBJ. Trading that extra first and a clearly inferior Sammy (production wise) set this organization back.

It was one of Whaleys worst moves as GM

yes they were very high on obj and most people here were bashing the idea because he wasn't tall. Thought 9 was a huge reach. I personally can't stand the guy now but from a pure talent standpoint would have been an excellent pick at that point of the draft.

We had Watkins and Darby. We sucked. Old demons make everyone question the current regime's decision making. I am glad both are gone. Watkins was an underperforming piece of glass and Darby was living off a good rookie year. The team will be prepared with players ready to execute the game plan. "One Eleven" Go Bills.

We had Watkins and Darby. We sucked. Old demons make everyone question the current regime's decision making. I am glad both are gone. Watkins was an underperforming piece of glass and Darby was living off a good rookie year. The team will be prepared with players ready to execute the game plan. "One Eleven" Go Bills.

....somehow, some way the gang in charge has us at 3-1 and I am CERTAIN the pundits here predicted that.....better yet, I am CERTAIN the FOUR and OH gang is pissed about the Carolina loss for foiling their prognostications (COUGH)....

I don't think Whaley actually ever said that. I think that was driven by media speculation knowing we needed a TE and later rumors turning into fact. I could be mistaken though.

...I know someone personally who was in the War Room on that eve and got texts telling me WR was the pick and the move up trade was in the works....

...not that it matters anymore, but do we even know the timing of his comments?..if memory serves me, kid did play banged up.....needing a second surgery had to be a mental setback....thinking he had rebounded only to have Bflo decline his 5th may have caused sour grapes......still wish him the best in a productive career...........

Yes we do know the timing of his comments. It was in 2015 not last year. The article came out on Oct.15, 2015. At that point the Bills were 3-2 and Sammy had missed 2 and a half games.

Week one Sammy had just came back from injury after missing all of camp. Tyrod threw to Harvin and Clay all game and Sammy didn't need targets. We beat the Colts 27-14 but the score wasn't really that close as the Colts scored their second TD late and the game was well within hand. Week two we lost 32 to 40 against NE. Sammy had 6 catches for 60 yards. Week 3 Sammy was injured and out of the game by halftime. Week 4 Sammy was out. Week 5 Sammy was out. Sammy then made the comments.

So again, the comments were stupid because you cant get targets from the bench.

...I know someone personally who was in the War Room on that eve and got texts telling me WR was the pick and the move up trade was in the works....

Nice.

Edited by Scott7975

yes they were very high on obj and most people here were bashing the idea because he wasn't tall. Thought 9 was a huge reach. I personally can't stand the guy now but from a pure talent standpoint would have been an excellent pick at that point of the draft.

For sure. Still, looking back on the 2015 draft there aren't many eye-popping names between our would-be pick and Darby. We kind of lucked out that it wasn't some kind of "we could have taken Gronk!" sort of situation.

I don't think Whaley actually ever said that. I think that was driven by media speculation knowing we needed a TE and later rumors turning into fact. I could be mistaken though.

Very possible I am mis-remembering.

Yes we do know the timing of his comments. It was in 2015 not last year. The article came out on Oct.15, 2015. At that point the Bills were 3-2 and Sammy had missed 2 and a half games.

Week one Sammy had just came back from injury after missing all of camp. Tyrod threw to Harvin and Clay all game and Sammy didn't need targets. We beat the Colts 27-14 but the score wasn't really that close as the Colts scored their second TD late and the game was well within hand. Week two we lost 32 to 40 against NE. Sammy had 6 catches for 60 yards. Week 3 Sammy was injured and out of the game by halftime. Week 4 Sammy was out. Week 5 Sammy was out. Sammy then made the comments.

So again, the comments were stupid because you cant get targets from the bench.

Nice.

...thanks for clarification and time line bud......did NOT know it was 2015.......

He's talented, but he never really played in a pro style passing game at Clemson. That move in the draft by the Bills FO was such a bad move, and a lot of us knew it at the time. That following Drafting EJ after passing up so many decent QBs in the prior years. I swear those two drafts had me so disappointed with the FO. You can say great hindsight, but I was very pissed after both of those drafts, knowing that they were dumb moves. Not so much that they picked Watkins, but to move up in that very deep WR draft for a WR that was primarily a screen WR surrendering a 1st and 4th. Truly baffling when they already had a decent group of WRs and had drafted 3 WRs in the past two years, had an established #1 with Stevie and traded the Bucs a 6th for Mike Williams. All of that draft capital spent on the WRs and never really materialized into anything formidable.

The injuries have plagued Sammy, but he has never really established himself as a bonafide #1 option in the passing game because he just isn't as good as every one thought he would be. The injuries keep some mystique as to whether he could still show that he is an elite player, but I think it's a low percentage chance that he does

Edited by Ayjent

Scott you are 100% correct. Then what tends to happen are the fans that want to defend Whaley or Sammy state well Ebron was the pick. Its a very poor attempt at re writing history to fit the narrative you want people to believe. When in reality thats exactly as you stated nothing but mock drafts by the media.

Scott you are 100% correct. Then what tends to happen are the fans that want to defend Whaley or Sammy state well Ebron was the pick. Its a very poor attempt at re writing history to fit the narrative you want people to believe. When in reality thats exactly as you stated nothing but mock drafts by the media.

...I thought Ebron would be the pick for the much maligned and neglected TE spot in Bflo....WR was a surprise.....then again, Ebron has not proven much which affirms why I am a dopey poster versus being NFL employed....I know my place................

i guess sammy is the bad guy for pointing out the obvious that the OC & HC should target their best player more than 5 times a game.

it would be like this years team where if shady averaged 10 touches a game and then said he should be getting 20.....(duh)

I guess your either vanilla or a distraction = media digging for stories

I think there's a middle ground, of making your case privately to the coaches/QB prior to taking it to the streets

Now maybe Sammy did so and got no results, I don't know.

If you were to ask me and I was either the Bills HC or part of the FO and I had a player on the team that cared more about his production than wins, then you can bet your bottom dollar I would look to ship him out as well.

Because not only is that a flaw from Watkins in that particular thought, but it speaks to an overall mentality. These sort of thoughts don't exist in a vacuum, it's part of the makeup of a human being. If someone is selfish about something like that, then you better believe that this isn't the only thing he has this sort of mentality with.

I think the fact that he has participated in a level of introspection and has recognized that he may have not have behaved the way he could have is a good first step. I think he also recognizes that he is operating on more thin ice now than he was before. Being traded can be interpreted as a vote of no confidence and I'm sure that it stings him personally. And that if he is not able to put up the numbers that people expect him to put up on this second team then he probably realizes that the excuse train will eventually come to a screeching halt. And if he becomes a malcontent while he has lackluster production, well then forget about it. I believe he recognizes that he is at a critical juncture in his career.

Does he become what he believes he was destined to become? Which is an elite receiver. Or does he become a really talented guy that never lived up to his pedigree?

You may want to ask Goff the same thing.

Too bad you are not a gm as others would love you.

Antonio Brown wants more targets???? Trade him.

OBJ upset that Manning missed him when open? Trade him

Every elite receiver is available for a backup and a draft choice.

And a 1,000 yards receiving and fewer targets then any contemporary really sucks.

Edited by Billsfan1972

I heard Zay talking about Sammy after the trade and he was literally gushing about how much Sammy did for him. He couldn't believe a star like that would take the time. Granted Zay is a positive guy. He said the same about Boldin. But if anything he was at least as much or more effusive about Sammy. Watkins was talking about two years ago.