Andy Benoit: Should We Believe in the Buffalo Bills?

It's hard to get too in depth with every team when covering the entire league.

He's supposed to be an expert, so he gets a pass because he gets to watch football for a living but there are 32 teams and "that's a lot of film?"

That seems a little preposterous to me. Parts of this article get dumber and dumber the more I go back and read it.

But boy oh boy, the anTy Taylor guys are loving it!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the quoted text in the first post:

Taylor is not a progression-read pocket passer. His vision is iffy and he doesn’t anticipate throwing windows, which forces a play-caller to use simpler route combinations. Taylor relies heavily on his mobility. When his initial reads don’t show open, he quickly assumes a runner’s mentality, breaking himself down in the pocket regardless of the pass rush. Occasionally, he’ll do this even before an early read unfolds. Open receivers go untargeted every game.”

This couldn't be more accurate. I have pointed out every one o these observations for a long time now, as have many others on this forum. That is who Tyrod is.

He is an easy upgrade if we move up in the draft far enough with the class of talent we will see in next year's draft.

PS: This reminds me of the dead-on analysis of who EJ Manuel is as well, coming from the people who live and die FSU football. They had him perfectly scouted too.

He's not a good pocket passer.

Unless he has already scalded the defense by avoiding sacks and greatly extending plays........or via misdirection........or a huge run off of a scramble or by design..........or a long completion, which he is excellent at....................in which case he has lot's of time in the pocket and makes good throws........and only to HIS guys.......he rarely even comes CLOSE to a turnover.

One of my favorites is the idea that he can only use half of the field when he leaves the pocket............I heard people say this with a straight face after the Falcons game..........where he ran left on one play and then came all the way back to the right and made a GREAT throw to Charles Clay.......a GREAT throw, but repeatable by Taylor.

He's good.........he's consistently one of the 10 most impactful QB's in the NFL.

Id like to see them use one of their six picks in the first three rounds next year on a qb to develop behind TT and three or four of those picks on OL and WR. Tyrod is a good fit for the overall makeup of this team. You can win alot of games with a strong defense, an offense that doesnt turn the ball over, and a qb who can make three or four big plays a game. His mobility is a big plus behind a line thats average in pass pro as well.

He's supposed to be an expert, so he gets a pass because he gets to watch football for a living but there are 32 teams and "that's a lot of film?"

That seems a little preposterous to me. Parts of this article get dumber and dumber the more I go back and read it.

But boy oh boy, the anTy Taylor guys are loving it!

Preconceived ideas die hard even in the face of new evidence it would seem.

I am still on the fence whether the success can be sustained.... I think the offense still really needs to improve

As is, very possible. McCoy twists an ankle, or a couple other scenarios and it gets ugly for us quicker than it should though.

The old saying - play them one game at a time? There's a reason for that. We'll see how it goes, let's just hope for another solid performance Sunday.

I would say Benoit may not have researched things thoroughly. His comments about our DBs and ignoring how well Poyer has played suggests he didn't watch the D very much.

One thing we don't know yet, because Opie's has only been the head coach of four games at any level in his life (preseason doesn't count), is whether he has been playing things so close to the vest because that is what he believes and he isn't going to stray, or, does he take each game as it comes like he should and a lot of good coaches do, and the way they have played out so far have all been close so he didn't need to,open the offense up, he didn't need to blitz more or take chances more on defense, he didn't need to do anything other than play this one score style of game.

I'm not sure either way. He seems slightly conservative but I'm not at all convinced that this is how we are always going to play. This allegedly impossible to sustain way.

Kicking the long FG in Atlanta was the antithesis of being conservative.

@Andy_Benoit

putting on film of #Bills O vs. #Falcons D. Will tweet as I go.

#Bills #Falcons Film: C Wood and RG Miller perfect backfield screen blocking in space on McCoy 17 yds on 3rd-17.

Film: #Bills a lot of 2x2 sets with mirrored routes that attacked #Falcons single-high looks. Simple for QB, Taylor got in some rhythm.

#Bills Film: Taylor does not have great pocket vision (how much is his height a factor?) That leads to some of his unnecessary movement.

#Bills Falcons Film: Clay 44 yds Taylor tremendous throw from moving platform.

Falcons Film: Clay 44 yds great by OC Dennison building offense. A TE throwback opposite a rollout crossing concept #Bills had shown earlier

#Bills #Falcons Film: Matthews 9-yd TD Taylor great poise from clean pocket recognizing late read on Matthews tight bunch crosser vs Trufant

#Falcons Film: Brooks Reed continued to flash. Beat run blocks of TE Clay a few times, quickly beat RT Mills inside for a sack.

#Falcons Film: Dan Quinn in 4-man front likes to go 3 D-linemen to one side of the center in pass situation. Same thing Seahawks do.

#Falcons Film: DT Joe Vellano showed some striking hand quickness, ability to disengage with it in phone booth.

#Bills Film: LeSean McCoy lateral agility as still as good as anyone’s in the NFL.

#Falcons Film: Deion Jones speed and quickness evident in run D, including when action is confined to the box.

#Falcons Film: #Bills a very controlled approach. Heavy personnel (often with closed formation in "22"), half-field reads for Taylor.

Film: #Falcons fastest LB is Duke Riley. My sense is he’ll have to learn balance of speed and playing under control. He jumps off the screen

#Bills Film: Eric Wood a game of highs and lows (more high). Some good blocks out in front but lost a few times in phone booth.

#Bills #Falcons Film: Clay 34 yds another rollout throwback. Orbit route. Taylor perfect ball vs. good coverage by LB Riley and FS Kazee.

#Falcons Film: #Bills (a zone-based D) gameplanned pressure and man coverage on 3rd down passing situations. Had success.

#Falcons #Bills Film: Coleman 29yd zone lead-strong. C Mack great at 2nd level (tough angle), CB White horrible taking on FB Coleman block.

#Bills #Falcons Film: CB White did well in solo matchup scenarios vs. WR Sanu, including man coverage from slot.

#Bills #Falcons Film: DE Hughes was a handful for LT Matthews. Hughes speed or power, the moves to go with it. Big factor in the outcome.

#Bills #Falcons Film: Hyde INT perfect Cover 3 FS play vs. PA post-cross deep shot. Recognition, transitional movement and ball skills.

Film: Lead runs with FB Coleman was a big part of #Falcons approach. (Similarities to last year with DiMarco.)

#Falcons Film: Alex Mack had some tremendous run-blocks. 1st level seal, 2nd level and duo blocks.

#Bills Film: LB Alexander is showing the same explosion and quickness that he all the sudden started showing last year.

#Falcons #Bills Film: Ryan was off-target on a few throws. Didn't have his sharpest game.

#Bills #Falcons Film: Hyde 2nd INT was 3rd-17 "2 man." Leonard Johnson excellent tail coverage on Nick Williams in the slot, minimal window.

#Bills Falcons Film: overall Hyde played a great game, particularly in coverage. Stops out of Cover 3, Cover 4 and "2 man."

Film: Absence of Julio Jones and Sanu a notable factor – #Falcons had trouble against #Bills man coverage, got worse as game progressed. :cry:

Here's Benoit's All-22 film breakdown of the game against ATL. He confirms his bias even while complimenting Taylor's play.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

This is Taylors prove it season.

Does he stay or go?

Watching Inside the NFL and they mentioned

Teams that could change QBs next season

Brees

Rivers

Manning

Add those teams to other bad teams in search of a franchise type guy

so when the season is over, what criteria do you think the team mgnt will use to evaluate TT in this prove-it year?

The Bills have gone 3 & out on 48% of their drives this season, second most in the NFL. We also are ranked 31st in passing. Through 4 games our QB is averaging 186 yards a game & just over 1 TD a game.

Our leader in receiving yards is our TE with 18 receptions for 227 yards, 30% of TT's total passing yards. Our leader in receptions & 2nd highest in receiving yards is our RB with 21 receptions for 163 yards.

Our THIRD leader in receiving yards & receptions is finally a WR, with Jordan Matthews having a whopping 10 receptions for 162 yards. So among our top 3 receivers, only one WR is making an impact, and he's at the bottom of the list just barely scraping by with double digit receptions behind our RB (never a recipe for success).

Even more embarassing is how badly it drops off from there. The receiving numbers take a nose dive, with our 4th highest leader in yards only having 4 receptions And it's Zay Jones, the much hyped 2nd round rookie WR who lead the FBS in receptions. That's just crazy... Our number 2 WR, a starter, is 4th on the list of receptions and has 1 catch a game. That's how atrocious our passing offense is. And let's not act like Zay hasn't had opportunities, he's been target 17 times!

Between the 3 & outs, the inability to throw to WRs, the sudden loss of the long ball in our offense, the overthrowing of wide open receivers, and the lack of a consistent run game has made Tyrod look really bad this season. It's not all his fault, it never is all on one person in football, but he's a big part of it.

With Glenn hurt the line has been inconsistent, and Shady is suffering from it too. He has no TDs, rushing or receiving, at all this year. Tyrod isn't running the same either, and also doesn't have a rushing TD. Mike Tolbert is the lone rushing TD for the team a quarter of the way through the season. That's pretty crazy to think about considering the past couple years. So yeah, the offense needs to step up & pull its weight. Simply saying "well they haven't turned it over" isn't going to be enough all the time. We've seen Tyrod be able to do more, I just hope he shows it soon.

so when the season is over, what criteria do you think the team mgnt will use to evaluate TT in this prove-it year?

Playoffs.

The defense has improved immensely.

The offense thus far has proved it can score more than ~ 17 points on average

That's close to a TD less per game

Facing 2 top defenses may be a reason why it's down.

The teams looking to get THE QB in 18 is getting longer

If the Bills are not sold other teams might be.

That is how many Offensive TD's we have scored the last 3 games. If you want to call 7 rushes for 12 yards and 12 completions on 20 attempts franchise man last game, have it your way. There is a ton of work our O needs to work on still.

I just want to keep on winning with whomever is behind center. I don't have the rose colored glasses on is all.

If we want to sustain and become a true contender year in and year out we flat out need more consistency from our O. I hope it gets better but our damn OC is happy with our Offense being in the bottom 10 of the league.

Dam good post, right on man

Lucky our D is playing at the top of its game, our kicking is 50+ yards of extreme greatness and lady luck is shining on us.

Our running game is having problems because teams respect it over our QB throwing, hopefully lady luck keeps Tyrod hitting those few plays and the winning continues.

I have yet to see any reason why not to upgrade at QB next season with a top pick, if we had better at QB this season this team would be unstoppable. Go Bills may lady luck keep shinning on us.

Edited by xRUSHx

Playoffs.

The defense has improved immensely.

The offense thus far has proved it can score more than ~ 17 points on average

That's close to a TD less per game

Facing 2 top defenses may be a reason why it's down.

The teams looking to get THE QB in 18 is getting longer

If the Bills are not sold other teams might be.

Making the playoffs is a pretty iffy bar imo...there's a lot that is out of his hands re: other teams' performances (ie NE). Bills could win 11 and still not get in if some other teams play lights out. OTOH we could win 10 and get in...

I'd say with this O, winning 10 games would be pretty darn successful, especially if one of which is against the Pats

The Bills have gone 3 & out on 48% of their drives this season, second most in the NFL. We also are ranked 31st in passing. Through 4 games our QB is averaging 186 yards a game & just over 1 TD a game.

Our leader in receiving yards is our TE with 18 receptions for 227 yards, 30% of TT's total passing yards. Our leader in receptions & 2nd highest in receiving yards is our RB with 21 receptions for 163 yards.

Our THIRD leader in receiving yards & receptions is finally a WR, with Jordan Matthews having a whopping 10 receptions for 162 yards. So among our top 3 receivers, only one WR is making an impact, and he's at the bottom of the list just barely scraping by with double digit receptions behind our RB (never a recipe for success).

Even more embarassing is how badly it drops off from there. The receiving numbers take a nose dive, with our 4th highest leader in yards only having 4 receptions And it's Zay Jones, the much hyped 2nd round rookie WR who lead the FBS in receptions. That's just crazy... Our number 2 WR, a starter, is 4th on the list of receptions and has 1 catch a game. That's how atrocious our passing offense is. And let's not act like Zay hasn't had opportunities, he's been target 17 times!

Between the 3 & outs, the inability to throw to WRs, the sudden loss of the long ball in our offense, the overthrowing of wide open receivers, and the lack of a consistent run game has made Tyrod look really bad this season. It's not all his fault, it never is all on one person in football, but he's a big part of it.

With Glenn hurt the line has been inconsistent, and Shady is suffering from it too. He has no TDs, rushing or receiving, at all this year. Tyrod isn't running the same either, and also doesn't have a rushing TD. Mike Tolbert is the lone rushing TD for the team a quarter of the way through the season. That's pretty crazy to think about considering the past couple years. So yeah, the offense needs to step up & pull its weight. Simply saying "well they haven't turned it over" isn't going to be enough all the time. We've seen Tyrod be able to do more, I just hope he shows it soon.

If you've actually watched the games, you know that the primary reason for these numbers is not Tyrod's incompetence, but the fact that the Bills have gone ultra-conservative when they have had the lead in the second half, which has been a lot. Tyrod does not call the plays.

The Bills' defensive talent is leagues worse than that on Denver, Seattle, and Carolina. What's going on right now is nice, but I don't think it's sustainable. I hope i'm wrong, of course.

What is this statement based on? Is talent equal to name recognition?

After last weeks game I am already expecting a playoff birth this season. Should we believe that they will deliver? Get back to me after the result of this next game.

What is this statement based on? Is talent equal to name recognition?

Pretty much.

With the way our secondary is playing I'd say they are better than all three of those teams. And two of those teams are known to have really good secondaries so that says a lot about our own through 4 games.

And of course Hughes, Lawson and Williams have been playing at a high level up front.

This is basically the same for the Patriots they just throw more overall. White leads the Pats in receptions and Gronk would in all likelihood be #2 in receptions and #1 in yards for the Patriots if he didn't miss the last game.

Making the playoffs is a pretty iffy bar imo...there's a lot that is out of his hands re: other teams' performances (ie NE). Bills could win 11 and still not get in if some other teams play lights out. OTOH we could win 10 and get in...

Still early in the season but so far signs point to the bar being low. Lot's of inconsistent play in the AFC. Could be a 9-7 record gets a team in. Plus we already hold the tiebreaker over Denver which is a huge plus since they would be our number one competition for a wild card at this point.