McD: Dareus in competition with Thornton for starting role

YoloinOhio

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dareus is struggling to return from his ankle injury. It is also logical that his attitude could be hindering his ability (or desire) to heal. But a DT getting double teamed with a bad ankle is still providing value freeing up others, albeit on just a handful of plays. I find myself wanting to give the guy a chance to get back into football shape before final judgement. However, the continual rash of injuries may make that next to impossible to ever achieve.

Edited by Heathcliff

I don't know if this applies to Dareus, but I don't know how many people here are aware that many NFL players don't actually like playing football. It hurts - a lot. I'll never forget hearing an interview with Chargers D-lineman Burt Grossman on the Jim Rome show over two decades ago. In response to the question of how much he still loved the game (he was nearing the end of his very solid 6 year career, in which he had 43.5 sacks), he essentially said that he never liked playing in the NFL and only did it for the money. Rome then asked him if college was the last time he liked playing. He said he hated playing in college too (he went to Pitt and was drafted 8th overall in the first round). He closed by saying that the last time he liked playing football was in high school. He had stuck with it because of the money.

Kris Jenkins' NYT piece from a few years back is quite revealing about the punishment DTs take: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/20/sports/football/kris-jenkinss-view-of-life-in-the-nfl-trenches.html .

Consider all of this when thinking about Dareus, who is effectively set for life. The only financially stupid thing Dareus could do at this point is retire, because he'd forfeit millions of dollars. Even if he's unmotivated, he needs to stick it out to collect that cash. Again, I don't know if he hates playing football, but he might. We as fans are justified in not liking this, but this sort of situation is more common than you might think. It's why teams are terrified of guaranteed contracts. This ain't MLB w/regard to "love of the game."

That shouldn't surprise anyone. How many every-day people love their jobs? They do it for the money. Professional football player isn't any different in this regard. It's a very difficult job and few people are cut out for even if they have the talent for it.

A move like this shows McD is serious about changing the team culture. My guess is that Rex coddled Dareus. With that said, Dareus is a proven player. The Bills need him to play to his potential. It is sad to see him waste talent given he plays next to a guy who is 100% all the time.

Dareus is struggling to return from his ankle injury. It is also logical that his attitude could be hindering his ability (or desire) to heal. But a DT getting double teamed with a bad ankle is still providing value freeing up others, albeit on just a handful of plays. I find myself wanting to give the guy a chance to get back into football shape before final judgement. However, the continual rash of injuries may make that next to impossible to ever achieve.

This is part of the problem though, he's had 'nagging' injuries the last few years.

And while it's not necessarily his fault, you can't pay a guy this type of money if he's not 100% and can hold up for a 16 game season.

Consider everything we know about Rex Ryan now.

Now consider Russ' comment: "Don't let him out of the building" meaning keep Rex physically at OBD until we get his signature on an employment K.

Now consider this guy still holds a high role within the organization, and in fact, used to be its GM.

Holy ****. I need a scotch.

I think Pegula put the kibosh on Brandon's over enthusiastic influence factor on Football Ops finally.

Beane and McD likely would not tolerate such giddiness

healthy scratch once Dareus and Worthy came back. Clearly they don't need all 3 at the moment. Worthy has played very well so he's not going anywhere as long as he's healthy.

should still be in the rotation. if he is playing well ?

Can't say he has stood out to me this year. Hmm

this is where the league needs to come in and the owners need to make a statement. In the NBA and NHL when you get cut, your contract is dead. You must live up to the money your are paid or get a contract that the market dictates. The NFL should follow suit and drop the guaranteed money bs.

as much as I agree, very few owners would likely buy-in or stick to it because of wanting to get a player at any cost.

I think an easier way would to enforce a rule based on the salary cap that a players guaranteed can't exceeded a certain amount. Not sure what that number would be or come from but would be a better way to prevent players from cashing in then mailing in games.

Reality: This wont happen. But this would be something I would love to see happen.

Trade Dareus for a good WR and maybe even get a draft pick back.

1. Clearly, we aren't missing him.

2. Very talented, but something is up with him and he's not contributing anything close to his contract.

3. We need WR help badly this year. With the D (even without Dareus) we have a playoff caliber unit, and the offense is sorely lacking a playmaker at WR.

I am finding it harder and harder to believe Dareus will be on the roster in 2018, but odds are if they do move him that it wont happen until the off season. Its not easy to facilitate a trade in the NFL mid season, and with his talent level, wouldn't surprise me if McD and the FO want a full season with him before they make any big decisions.

PS: How many of us would trade Dareus for Sammy straight up right now? My hand is up...lol

Yes. Drafting Dareus in the first place, with AJ Green and Julio Jones (among others) still on the board.

wiokza.jpg

oops

It's so easy to do this.

The Bills needed help on the defensive line that year, and Marcel Dareus was the best DT they could have gotten. It made perfect sense.

No one could project how things would turn out the way they did. Also Dareus has had some All-Pro seasons with us.

I don't blame Dareus for the previous 2 seasons, when Wrecks made him a Nose Tackle, which is not what Dareus is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm upset at Dareus with his attitude, because he has the talent and he can be a difference maker. We've seen him do that before.

Lamenting on who else we could have drafted that year, is ridiculous.

Again, it's not the contract that's preventing others from obtaining him, it's that the Bills can't move him without absorbing a huge cap hit now. He is still a very good player that has proven it on the field when healthy and wants to. I bet 90% of the coaching staffs out there feel they could bring him in and motivate him with a change in scenery. Sometimes it doesn't matter that a new coaching staff came in, he just needs a fresh start somewhere else to motivate him Again, or a certain type of coach. Teams will go after him and the Bills won't have to pay anyone to take him like Osweiler who really hadn't proven anythi g except that he was good for a few games on a very good team.

He seems to be a guy who has lost interest, maybe because he has his deal, or the constant changes here, or nagging injuries. Some people also don't get motivated by the type of coaching the bills staff have I place right now. It's probably in the best interest of both sides to move on, unfortunately for the Bills they can't because of the cap hit they would take.

The most frustrating thing about whole situation is that when they were taking a while to negotiate his contract a few years back, I remember Marcel basically saying to the FO, "Come on, guys, do the right thing." By that he meant give him what he was asking for...people figured, ya know, he's right...he's been productive his first few years in the league- why not...boy if we only had a time machine to warn the organization.

Edited by JaCrispy

Just for fun (again don't expect anything to actually happen)

Potential WR trade partners for Dareus (note: none of this factors in Cap situations, just players I would think might make sense checking availability on for a guy like Dareus).

Mia: Jarvis Landry - Reports they don't want to pay him what he can fetch with Parker there.

GB: Davante Adams - GB def is an achilles heal there, they are loaded with WR's.

Pitt: M. Bryant and Pick - One head case for another, but they have plenty of talent at WR and the D could go from good to great with someone like Dareus

Oak: Amari Cooper - Crabtree is their best WR as Cooper has a major case of the dropsies. They have enough on offense to be a good offense and could use some big help on Def. Cooper and Dareus could be two people that greatly benefit from a reality check and change of scenery.

LAC: Mike Williams - LAC are still what they have always been...medicore team who can't close out games. They got a young stud in Bosa they can pair with Dareus for a long time in that rebuild and they still have quite a bit at WR like Allen, Williams, and Benjamin where the offense wont miss the rookie. I know he's had some back issues, but he is expected to debut this week or next and looks to be ready.

All this Dareus Hate. Yes, he does not play up to his incredible talent and potential. Yes, he may be playing hurt. He still is capable of being an asset and a beast on the field. The offenses still are game planning around him. Yes, his contract was a huge mistake by the Bills. But this nonsense about taking a huge cap hit is idiotic.When his contract will allow a trade without a massive cap hit, go ahead and give him another chance to "prove it" with another team. not at a loss though.

And this elevation of McD as some saintly genius. This worship of some nebulous "process" as a miracle cure.

I see McD as a egotistical crusader who has been able to correct the damage done to the defense by another egotistical personality named REX. The Bills D was great before Rex, it has just returned to where it was pre-Rex.

Yes, somebody did great on bringing in Poyer , Hyde. They hit the jackpot on Tre in the draft. They brought in Hauschka in FA. It amazes me that everyone gives McD 100% of the credit for them, but puts down Whaley for other selections. If it turned out good, it was McD, if it turned out bad it was Whaley. Everything that happens that turns out good is because of the "process", while everything that happens bad is Whaley's fault.

The Offense under McD is much worse than when McD was brought in.

McD has not proven anything other than he does not suck as bad as Rex did on the Defensive side of the ball.

Reality: This wont happen. But this would be something I would love to see happen.

Trade Dareus for a good WR and maybe even get a draft pick back.

1. Clearly, we aren't missing him.

2. Very talented, but something is up with him and he's not contributing anything close to his contract.

3. We need WR help badly this year. With the D (even without Dareus) we have a playoff caliber unit, and the offense is sorely lacking a playmaker at WR.

I am finding it harder and harder to believe Dareus will be on the roster in 2018, but odds are if they do move him that it wont happen until the off season. Its not easy to facilitate a trade in the NFL mid season, and with his talent level, wouldn't surprise me if McD and the FO want a full season with him before they make any big decisions.

PS: How many of us would trade Dareus for Sammy straight up right now? My hand is up...lol

Good post in regard to what Buffalo is likely to do.

I think they should just work him out all season. keep talking to him.

Maybe even next year if he "trusts The Process"

Some WRs want to go to a serious contender. Some just want to get the money, and everything in between.

Hope Marcel just keeps his head down and gets to work

It's so easy to do this.

The Bills needed help on the defensive line that year, and Marcel Dareus was the best DT they could have gotten. It made perfect sense.

No one could project how things would turn out the way they did. Also Dareus has had some All-Pro seasons with us.

I don't blame Dareus for the previous 2 seasons, when Wrecks made him a Nose Tackle, which is not what Dareus is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm upset at Dareus with his attitude, because he has the talent and he can be a difference maker. We've seen him do that before.

Lamenting on who else we could have drafted that year, is ridiculous.

I was cheering when he was picked. And I have not given up on him.

Never liked Gilmore starting draft day. I tried.

All this Dareus Hate. Yes, he does not play up to his incredible talent and potential. Yes, he may be playing hurt. He still is capable of being an asset and a beast on the field. The offenses still are game planning around him. Yes, his contract was a huge mistake by the Bills. But this nonsense about taking a huge cap hit is idiotic.When his contract will allow a trade without a massive cap hit, go ahead and give him another chance to "prove it" with another team. not at a loss though.

And this elevation of McD as some saintly genius. This worship of some nebulous "process" as a miracle cure.

I see McD as a egotistical crusader who has been able to correct the damage done to the defense by another egotistical personality named REX. The Bills D was great before Rex, it has just returned to where it was pre-Rex.

Yes, somebody did great on bringing in Poyer , Hyde. They hit the jackpot on Tre in the draft. They brought in Hauschka in FA. It amazes me that everyone gives McD 100% of the credit for them, but puts down Whaley for other selections. If it turned out good, it was McD, if it turned out bad it was Whaley. Everything that happens that turns out good is because of the "process", while everything that happens bad is Whaley's fault.

The Offense under McD is much worse than when McD was brought in.

McD has not proven anything other than he does not suck as bad as Rex did on the Defensive side of the ball.

Yo would you like some salt with that salt

giphy.gif

I feel like there was a poster on this board that had the top 3 players from that draft as being Miller--Watt--Julio...wish I could remember who...

https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/127671-when-the-bills-were-on-the-clock-who-did-you-want-the-last-few-years/page-2?do=findComment&comment=2136589

it certainly wasn't me. i wanted them to tank for Cam Newton or Jake Locker