TNF: Rams vs. 49ers at 8:25 PM ET on NFLN

26CornerBlitz

It's much simpler than that. Zay is on a rookie contract, Sammy is about to ask for money worthy of a Julio Jones, and he isn't that. They hope Zay develops into a #1 next year and are exchanging Sammy's production for a 2nd round pick and a cheap replacement.

This is not sustainable. It is precisely how to acquire average talent IMO.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see this perspective but again the difference between Zay Jones and Watkins IS game changing. So if they truly valued the position, why trade Watkins? Why settle for a awful receiving corp? They don't utilize it, that is why.

If they didn't value it they wouldn't have bothered to get those guys. Why trade up for a guy if you don't need him? Why trade a starting corner for a guy? Why keep Andre Holmes when he fits the comp formula? Why add Kaelin Clay instead of keeping Seymour. Dennison had Thomas and Sanders!! They value them but the guys they have are very bad. It's not like they neglected the position like OL for example.

My bold prediction is Robert Woods ultimately has a better career than Sammy Watkins because he is tough and physical, and I expect his style to last longer in the NFL.

I will bet my first born. TALENT >>>>> EFFORT Edited by Kirby Jackson

It's much simpler than that. Zay is on a rookie contract, Sammy is about to ask for money worthy of a Julio Jones, and he isn't that. They hope Zay develops into a #1 next year and are exchanging Sammy's production for a 2nd round pick and a cheap replacement.

Even if Sammy IS that, it's a lot to devote to one guy for this type of offense. Zay will get better, built they still need to keep investing at WR in a serious way. Cheap young guys is fine if you can find the right ones.

Watkins is in his 4th year, one beautiful catch isn't going to change anyone's opinion. He has the natural talent to take over the league lets see if he wants it or not. It will be intresting to see how the Rams handle the contract situation.

IMO something is off with Sammy. We shall see.

My bold prediction is Robert Woods ultimately has a better career than Sammy Watkins because he is tough and physical, and I expect his style to last longer in the NFL.

I've said, all along, that Bob Woods was the best receiver on the Bills. Sam might have more raw talent. But Woods is more durable, more dependable, more dedicated and more selfless. And that makes him better, IMO.

And I think the Rams agree.

He's that kind of talent though and you invest in that. Sammy is going to get paid. There is some risk but you don't win paying Jordan Matthews $8M instead of Sammy $13M.