TNF: Rams vs. 49ers at 8:25 PM ET on NFLN

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair questions and I agree 100% on the Gilmore deal. He's a nice player but not worth that money. I felt the same way on Woods too. If he was at $4M it's an easy decision.

The Rams are supposedly already working on the Watkins extension. They are going to spend A LOT this offseason between him and Donald. They probably let Trumaine Johnson walk. As of right now though they have the 3rd most cap space in the league next year. They can add $6.5M by cutting Saffold, $7M by cutting Barron, $4.1M by cutting Brockers and the one that will almost assuredly happen, $11.5M to cut Quinn. Basically, they can add $30M more if they want!!! They are in great cap shape.

I see it as an imbalanced deal because the Bills sold low. The return was okay but I'd never trade Watkins for Gaines and pick 40. That's a dime for 2 nickels. Time will tell how it will play out but I am very confident that the Rams will look back on the trade as one of the turning points for their franchise. I'm glad that we sent him somewhere like that though that you only have to see every 4 years.

Clearly, what was the turning point for the Rams was not the acquisition of Watkins but the bold trade-up to get Goff the prior year. Once this team secured its franchise qb it then had many options to upgrade the rest of the roster. There is no doubt that Watkins can be an important ingredient in the turn around but what was as important (my opinion) was the upgrading of the OL.

Whaley was bold in the drafting of Watkins. The problem was that he got the basic sequence backwards. He should have used his boldness to first draft a serious franchise qb before expending resources for secondary issues. The sad irony is after being fired he was asked what he would have done differently. His response: I would have put more effort in getting a qb. :wallbash:

I'm happy for Watkins. He deserves to be in a situation where his scintillating talents can be manifested. It wasn't going to materialize in Buffalo because it has operated in a half-assssed backwards. Hopefully, in due time a smarter approach will reap rewards.

Clearly, what was the turning point for the Rams was not the acquisition of Watkins but the bold trade-up to get Goff the prior year. Once this team secured its franchise qb it then had many options to upgrade the rest of the roster. There is no doubt that Watkins can be an important ingredient in the turn around but what was as important (my opinion) was the upgrading of the OL.

Whaley was bold in the drafting of Watkins. The problem was that he got the basic sequence backwards. He should have used his boldness to first draft a serious franchise qb before expending resources for secondary issues. The sad irony is after being fired he was asked what he would have done differently. His response: I would have put more effort in getting a qb. :wallbash:

I'm happy for Watkins. He deserves to be in a situation where his scintillating talents can be manifested. It wasn't going to materialize in Buffalo because it has operated in a half-assssed backwards. Hopefully, in due time a smarter approach will reap rewards.

This might be the best thing I've read in this entire thread! And, yeah, ^ what he said!

:beer:

Does that also mean that people shouldn't throw hissy fits about the 2017 offense?

:lol: Whether they should or not doesn't matter. The visceral reactions will continue after poor performances or losses because it's what fans do. Hell there was even griping by some after the week one win.

Have you seen the haul it took for the Rams to go from 15th to 1 when they selected Goff?

The Bills would basically need to trade away 5/6 of their picks in the first three rounds in 18' and then trade away their first for the following year.

Whatever was given up to trade for Goff was well worth it. They now have a franchise qb while after a quarter of a century we still don't. Goff is going to get better while TT is going to remain what he is. I'm not knocking him because he is the best that we currently got. But if you want to thrive you either address the qb issue or continue on the path of wrenching mediocrity. Isn't a generation long enough for you?

Whatever was given up to trade for Goff was well worth it. They now have a franchise qb while after a quarter of a century we still don't. Goff is going to get better while TT is going to remain what he is. I'm not knocking him because he is the best that we currently got. But if you want to thrive you either address the qb issue or continue on the path of wrenching mediocrity. Isn't a generation long enough for you?

That's a little premature IMO. Sure he has looked good for a couple games. So have a lot of other QBs that flamed out.

That's a little premature IMO. Sure he has looked good for a couple games. So have a lot of other QBs that flamed out.

When a player dramatically gets better in his second year I'll gladly bet on that player. There are rarely guarantees but I'm confident that he is going to be a good qb. If you think otherwise that is fine.

When a player dramatically gets better in his second year I'll gladly bet on that player. There are rarely guarantees but I'm confident that he is going to be a good qb. If you think otherwise that is fine.

I don't necessarily think otherwise. He has looked good and they put a lot of resources around him to help him out. I hope our team does the same when they draft their guy. I just think its premature to call him a franchise QB already is all.

I think you're generally right. It is just that Whaley thought EJ was the franchise guy at the time.

I think you're generally right. It is just that Whaley thought EJ was the franchise guy at the time.

He was hideously wrong. He was not close to being a first round talent. Regardless of the position being evaluated it was a bad evaluation. Overall, his drafting record was average to below average. He and his staff being fired should not be a surprise. It was very warranted.

What a fun game that was to watch! Remember when our offense was fun? Yeah, it seems like a long time ago.... :(

It seems like the franchise never fully recovered after the firing of Polian. That was the pivot point for this lackluster franchise. :sick: