TNF: Rams vs. 49ers at 8:25 PM ET on NFLN

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your point might have more validity if Watkins was an older player, but we're talking about a guy who's just 24 years old.

Sammy might be a member in the "flat earth society" but from a football standpoint he isn't stupid. I'm not convinced that he wanted to be part of a roster redo. This franchise is going to go through another few years of struggles. It's not a quick fix job. When he wasn't given a contract offer it was apparent right from the beginning that he was not in the plans, and quite possibly didn't want to be in the plans for this franchise.

Edited by JohnC

I think Tyrod is better than Hoyer... but I was pro taking a shot on Hoyer if Tyrod wouldn't renegotiate and we had to release him. I don't think the gap between the two is as massive as some on here would have you believe.

Fwiw I agree. What people don't see is that the gap between guys like Eli and Flacco to those guys is small.

Sammy might be a member in the "flat earth society" but from a football standpoint he isn't stupid. I'm not convinced that he wanted to be part of a roster redo. This franchise is going to go through another few years of struggles. It's not a quick fix job. When he wasn't given a contract offer it was apparent right from the beginning that he was not in the plans, and quite possibly didn't want to be in the plans for this franchise.

Pure conjecture.

Then to take the opposite side of the argument is to think that the Bills FO is run by kindergartners who just saw a football for the first time.

The key decision makers in the persons of McDermott and Beane are calling the shots for an NFL franchise for the 1st time. They have much to prove.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Pure conjecture.

I agree it is conjecture. But you have to acknowledge that being an elite receiver in Buffalo, especially with their qb situation, isn't very appealing for the receiver. More likely McDermott realized the going rate was for top tier receivers was very high and for a variety of reasons he didn't see the value.

Edited by JohnC

I agree it is conjecture. But you have to acknowledge that being an elite receiver in Buffalo, especially with their qb situation, isn't very appealing for the receiver. More likely McDermott realized the going rate was for top tier receivers was very high and for a variety of reasons he didn't see the value.

Yeah OK. Trust the guy who's a career defensive coach with respect to NFL offense.

The key decision makers in the persons of McDermott and Beane are calling the shots for an NFL franchise for the 1st time. They have much to prove.

Many of these moves were put in place before Beane arrived.

Funny how no one has an issue with Rams being run by a 31 yr old, but Bills FO are out of their league.

Yeah OK. Trust the guy who's a career defensive coach with respect to NFL offense.

Only time will tell. If we don't come away with a franchise qb in this next draft then it doesn't matter what plan anyone has. This descent into interminable exasperation (for some) is what happens when an organization is run in a second-rate manner for more than a generation.

The defensive HC that you are sneering at did a masterful job in short order of stabilizing a defense that Rex destroyed. As far as the offense goes it is an open question. You can't fix everything at once.

Although I disagree with your stance and others I understand it. It certainly has merit. My feeling is taking a patchwork and incremental approach is not going to work. In order to get beyond the middle of the road level a major reworking has to take place. This is not a quick fix. I understand what is being done and I for the most part I agree with it.

How do you guys stay in game day threads and enjoy watching the game?

You can not do both.

You can stay in the thread and watch the game.

You can stay in the thread and hate watching the game.

But you really need to not care about this team or sport at all to be able to stay in the thread and enjoy watching the game because the majority are not discussing their enjoyment of the game. The majority have been waiting all week to take their predictions of misery and failure -- the easiest thing in the NFL world to predict -- and write some version of "I told you so" over and over and over.

Do yourself a favor and leave the misery to the game day thread and go back to enjoying the game on your own. Then after the game, go to the game day thread and laugh your ass off for an hour.

Once again if the plan is to acquire a franchise QB in 2018, then trading Watkins is a shortsighted move.

But you may need the ammunition provided by the pick to get said franchise QB

Quick hypothetical, Watkins has the massive year he is capable of here and you wisely picked up hos 5th year option? Do you think that if he has say 85 catches, 1,300 yards and 10 TDs you'd get more or less than a mid 2nd and EJ Gaines? You could have used him to move up for your QB if you didn't want to pay him!!! (Although you should have just paid him). That will haunt us.

Here is another hypothetical, especially considering our offensive scheme and QB. Sammy has 78 catches for 1050 yards and 9 TDS and misses two games. Then what?

Close to what you posted, but i dont think worth $12M

Granted, I think not picking up the option was the right move, if you thought wrong move partial answer is pay him the option money ..i just think that was a huge risk with Sammy's injury history.

Edited by plenzmd1

To the contrary, Les Snead has been the GM since 2012. McVay is the new head coach.

The genius Les Snead who put his team in line for the first pick in the draft and can't extend his star DL because of cap trouble? He'll certainly have an interesting offseason with another Donald holdout, Trumaine free agency and $50 million tied to 3 WRs (if he signs Sammy)

But you may need the ammunition provided by the pick to get said franchise QB

Here is another hypothetical, especially considering our offensive scheme and QB. Sammy has 78 catches for 1050 yards and 9 TDS and misses two games. Then what?

Close to what you posted, but i dont think worth $12M

Granted, I think not picking up the option was the right move, if you thought wrong move partial answer is pay him the option money ..i just think that was a huge risk with Sammy's injury history.

Fair question, I've been on the train that you pick up the option even with the injury. Even off of last year. You hope for the best but know their isnrosk. As an example I'd take 12 games of Watkins (around his career average) and 4 games of Holmes over 16 game of Matthews 8 days a week. In those 12 games Sammy has a chance to be the difference in a few of them. I'd say last night the Rams may not have won without him. I think that the Bills would have won last week with him. Guys like Matthews have a role and can help but they don't often impact the outcome. Playmakers impact the outcome. So long story short I would have rolled the dice on Sammy staying healthy knowing that when he is on the field he can be the difference.

In those 12 games Sammy has a chance to be the difference in a few of them. I'd say last night the Rams may not have won without him. I think that the Bills would have won last week with him.

And i think that is the quandary McBeane faced. I don't think there is one person who can say with a straight face the Bills offense is better off without Sammy. But let's say he gets you 2 extra wins, and now you go 7-9 instead of 5-11. Now, you don't have that extra second, you are faced with a tag/no tag decision, and you prolly still do not have enough ammo to get a franchise QB.

And roundand round we go as Bills fans :doh::lol:

Fair question, I've been on the train that you pick up the option even with the injury. Even off of last year. You hope for the best but know their isnrosk. As an example I'd take 12 games of Watkins (around his career average) and 4 games of Holmes over 16 game of Matthews 8 days a week. In those 12 games Sammy has a chance to be the difference in a few of them. I'd say last night the Rams may not have won without him. I think that the Bills would have won last week with him. Guys like Matthews have a role and can help but they don't often impact the outcome. Playmakers impact the outcome. So long story short I would have rolled the dice on Sammy staying healthy knowing that when he is on the field he can be the difference.

Someone else brought up the point regarding Watkins and his status with the Rams. Will the Rams be able to sign him to his next contract? The Rams are going to be cap squeezed if they do go out and sign him at what his market rate is. They already have contract problems with some of their best players, now and next year. I have never been a doubter over Watkins's dynamic skills but it is a legitimate issue to have doubts about his durability.

It appears to me that McDermott wasn't willing to offer Watkins a yield contract and saddle his cap with a contract that would limit other player options. Gilmore and his high cost requirements was let go and replaced with a rookie player who is cheaper and more effective in his zone system. That was a good cost/benefit deal. Don't be dismissive of getting another starting CB in the Watkins deal. And if that acquired second pick is used in a deal to draft a high end qb prospect then the Watkins deal looks much better, at least in my eyes.

My point here is that the Watkins deal is not such an irrational and imbalanced deal as some people are trying to portray it (not necessarily you?) Sometimes a deal is good for each party involved in the transaction because each team has different circumstances. Ask yourself if the Rams have Watkins for one year is it a good deal for them? All I'm suggesting is let's consider this deal not from a one year perspective but consider it from at least a three year perspective. You still might not agree with the deal but it should become more understandable and reasonable.

And i think that is the quandary McBeane faced. I don't think there is one person who can say with a straight face the Bills offense is better off without Sammy. But let's say he gets you 2 extra wins, and now you go 7-9 instead of 5-11. Now, you don't have that extra second, you are faced with a tag/no tag decision, and you prolly still do not have enough ammo to get a franchise QB.

And roundand round we go as Bills fans :doh::lol:

If QB needy teams are ahead of the Bills, that extra 2nd round pick won't matter one bit.