Denver Run Stop Strategy/ setting edge not important to them

Bocephuz

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-week-2-surprise-takeaway-the-broncos-run-defense

This was a great article from Pro Football Focus breaking down the unconventional way Denver attacked the Dallas run game.

Convention tells you that the defensive guys on the outside need to "set the edge" and funnel everything inside.

• This writeup shows that the Broncos pretty much abandoned setting the edge and rather had their outside guys immediately shoot the gap to disrupt the RB in the backfield.
  • They also stacked the box a lot as they felt their corners could handled Dallas' deep game.

I would expect much of the same against the Bills this Sunday.

The question is .. How do we counter this?

I have some ideas.. but I'd like to hear other's first. What do you all think.. how do we counter this kind of Run D strategy?

Zone read.

Our bread n butter in the red zone last year.

Our offense is going to work, just like Seattle last year, we attack them same way.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

One way to counter Edge crashing

Have two legit RBs on the field. And run both inside and outside runs.

Another is the Zone Read

Another is swing and screens

Zone read - maybe use clay in motion as the pitch back behind taylor on an option. Or have McCoy follow for the pitch while Tolbert is the handoff back.

You can do it from pistol too with Tolbert behind and McCoy to the left or right of taylor.

Taylor reads the LB on the pitch, and the end for the hand off...

Edited by dneveu

good call on all fronts

Have two legit RBs on the field. And run both inside and outside runs.

• line up under center.. fake to Tolbert and pitch outside to Shady or vice versa

Another is the Zone Read

• TT is built for this. Why put a round peg in a square hole. Not saying they need to go zone read all the time but Dennison needs to strategically use it early and often.

Another is swing and screens

• yep

Problem is we don't have two legit RBs on the roster.

Edited by Gordio

I don't think our WRs stand a chance against their corners. Roby, Harris and Talib will smother them. There has been poor seperation downfield so far, and the Broncos CBs are each great tacklers. Good luck on those quick screens and slants.

TEs will be well challenged by Stewart and Marshall, both are great in coverage.

I think runs between the tackles will get gobbled up by Peko and Wolfe, both are outstanding in disrupting running lanes.

I would try lots of outside the tackle runs and misdirection plays, get that defense moving sideways as much as possible and hope those linebackers get tangled up. Lots of bootlegs, counters, maybe an end around or two, some zone read. I would try to set the tone and run heavy toward Von Miller. I like the idea of a split back formation, with Shady and Tolbert both in the backfield with Tyrod behind center, or Tyrod in the gun with both on his flank. Our offense needs to stay on the field as much as possible! If that defense is fresh in the 3rd and we have to throw to catch up, it's game over.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

When you can leave your 3rd best corner on Dez Bryant man to man, you can do special things on defense especially against the run. Not to mentioned that all their corners can tackle. Keep in mind they dealt Ward and are still producing at a very high level.

You'll lose badly if you don't take some chances against that defense.

You don't need to be a running back to be the pitch back on an option. High schoolers can do it. It's not about cutbacks or vision, its about speed - so tate or clay would be my choices.

If it's about speed, then those are poor choices...Taiwan Jones would be the speed guy (and he happens to be a RB)

Misdirection. Play action bootlegs, draws, cutbacks (shady's specialty), screens.

Still, I am worried about this one. We don't seem to have the "edge" anywhere. And the 3 point line, well, I don't know what to make of it. Seems like an odd line but apparently vegas has faith in our defense.

No cutbacks, both ends are crashing, that means the opposit edge defender will catch Shady the moment he cuts back.

1. RPO should work (Run Pass Option)

2. Read Option (So TT can work his magic)

3. Spread Offense (ala Gaily when Spiller was here)

4. What KC is doing with Kelce, multiple fakes to the outside with RB or WR (Hill) and shovle pass to TE

5. Trap plays, just make sure someone accounts the guy that is crashing from the opposite side.

Now passing if you want to beat the press man without taking the top off you need to use

Presnap Motion (nullifing aggressive jams)

Bunch Concepts (again backs those CBs off)

Picks (just watch NE tape)

And Mesh concepts rubbing the CBs off eachother

Let Tyrod air it out. Bombs away baby. Bombs away.

pretty much this. It's what KC does when no one expects them to do it. They did it to the Bills 2 years ago and they did it to NE. Whether we have the personnel is another story but I think Zay at least has the speed. Also throw in Roby's direction as much as possible.

Our QB coach, David Culley, is in the booth and he was WR coach for KC for years vs Denver's D.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Meh, I am interested to see what Dennison's game plan is. He has the most familiarity with Denver's defense, and their weaknesses. Even with our limited offensive talent, If he cannot scheme a game plan to at least keep this interesting, then I will start to become concerned with him.

What I don't get is everyone who thinks they have seen everything needed from him after two games and want him gone. I think back to when Gilbride was here, everyone was constantly calling for his head. Shamefully I was one of them.

If you are so knowledgeable, why are you not working in a front office? I truly believe we have a solid tandem leading this team now, if Dennison is not the right choice they will get it fixed. It just won't happen in the middle of a season. I am comfortable letting this play out.

I would like to see McCoy and Clay lined up at the same time on most plays, one as a decoy and as an outlet, and let TT read the field and try to get it to the designed target, or use his legs to get the 1st downs. There has to be a way to get them both on the field at the same time and give the defense the same look regardless of which is the designated target. We need to confuse their great D players and make them hesitate just a second too long or commit a second too soon.Miller is great, but can be too aggressive and over confident and commit too soon some times. Use that. We just don't have the receivers or the QB to stretch the field deep. Dink and dunk them to death with the short and medium stuff and hope our D can shut them down. I will take a plodding, ugly, low scoring win over an exciting loss.

Edited by simpleman

I think it is a mistake to take the statement that they don't set the edge as gospel. All of those extended arms by the outside guys are edge set contain moves.

What do we do against it? I don't think you have to look farther than Witten's stat line 10 - 97 - 1 TD. That is a 35 yr. old TE averaging almost 10 yards a reception. We are going to have to have both TEs slipping out and catching short passes. With great blocking by the WRs that could be a way to move the ball. Rolling out Tyrod on these plays could help as well.

It is nice that we were able to get film of them stopping the run against Dallas. Now we will see what this coaching staff can do with it.

If they don't set the edge against us we will have over 200 yards rushing. Tyrod is dangerous when he breaks contain and Shady is way better than Elliott in space. Containing our run game and forcing everything to the middle is exactly why the Panthers D stopped our otherwise potent rushing attack in my opinion.

One things for sure unless you are in a PPR league DO NOT start Shady Sunday

If they don't set the edge against us we will have over 200 yards rushing. Tyrod is dangerous when he breaks contain and Shady is way better than Elliott in space. Containing our run game and forcing everything to the middle is exactly why the Panthers D stopped our otherwise potent rushing attack in my opinion.

No we wont. Prescott no slouch running, Elliott elite, OL elite and Den absolutely embarrassed them.

Pray. Pray alot.

We dont match up anywhere aginst this defense

said the same thing versus Texans last year

yep ^