Why dont the Bills Audible?

MAJBobby

Tyrod Taylor asked how much freedom he has to audible: "We're getting to that." Says he doesn't have free rein but getting more each week

That sure sounds like the Bills do audible and Taylor has been doing it.

Do people really even care about the truth at this point, though?

So We are getting to that is yes we audible?

Ooo doesnt have free rein but getting more means they audible?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think folks are going to be real disappointed when he actually has to play against real NFL defenses.

Maybe, maybe not. But what I can tell you for sure is if we see a few more sub 250 yard 10 point games, there wouldn't be that much justification to keeping TT in the lineup.

I think he might actually be better suited for the offensive design and the receiver core we have. I don't think there is any question he would go through progressions and make quicker decisions. With our receivers and our swiss cheese oline that may be what we need. However, I am not sure the final result will change much as he will probably throw more ints and have spotty accuracy. I think they might move down the field more though.

I am not calling for it to happen but I have to admit I would be intrigued by watching what happens.

For me this is the potential downside for Peterman, makes quicker reads, moves the offense better but gets more int's. Which overall could lead to either net negative or equal impact as your average TT start.

On the flip side, I think he could potentially lead us to more yards and points.

Keep TT in as the QB and if he can't get this offense going by midseason, yank him.

I asked this same question when Taylor first got here. His 2nd year here was the same, only a hand full of times did Taylor change the play or make a advantageous adjustment to the offense. Now in his 3rd year here people want to magically see Taylor change plays at the LOS, it's not going to happen and never will.

As Taylor has said in certain packages he can audible. Matt Ryan doesn't have free reign either.

And that's why I'd love to have a more robust discussion on the topic with some real analysis. I have to believe he has some responsibility at the line but it feels like very little and it's not a new issue

And that's why I'd love to have a more robust discussion on the topic with some real analysis. I have to believe he has some responsibility at the line but it feels like very little and it's not a new issue

I'm sure it is very little. Just his persnap reads is what it seems like.

Maybe, maybe not. But what I can tell you for sure is if we see a few more sub 250 yard 10 point games, there wouldn't be that much justification to keeping TT in the lineup.

For me this is the potential downside for Peterman, makes quicker reads, moves the offense better but gets more int's. Which overall could lead to either net negative or equal impact as your average TT start.

On the flip side, I think he could potentially lead us to more yards and points.

Keep TT in as the QB and if he can't get this offense going by midseason, yank him.

We all know the allure of the second string quarterback; it's basic human psychology 101. But this Peterman Thing takes it to whole new levels. All we've seen from NP is preseason play, almost exclusively against (and with) the 2s & 3s. The results were a 54.4% completion percentage for 5.4 yards per attempt. His longest pass was 28 yds long. Taylor played a terrible game against a brutal defense in a regular season contest and still managed 68% completion for 5.0 yards per attempt. There isn't the slightest reason to believe Peterman last Sunday wouldn't have been lambs to the slaughter. There are good reasons why Peterman (like Taylor) was drafted so late. And I think Peterman (like Taylor) has a good chance to prove the critics wrong. But to do so (like Taylor) he's going to have to maximize his talents with discipline, focus and a lot of hard work. Wherever you rank Taylor in the middle-third of current starters, I'll bet he wouldn't have been anywhere near as good if dropped into the lineup his rookie year. You put NP out there now and all you'll do is expose him. His best shot is long term.

Edited by grb

We all know the allure of the second string quarterback; it's basic human psychology 101. But this Peterman Thing takes it to whole new levels. All we've seen from NP is preseason play, almost exclusively against (and with) the 2s & 3s. The results were a 54.4% completion percentage for 5.4 yards per attempt. His longest pass was 28 yds long. Taylor played a terrible game against a brutal defense in a regular season contest and still managed 68% completion for 5.0 yards per attempt. There isn't the slightest reason to believe Peterman last Sunday wouldn't have been lambs to the slaughter. There are good reasons why Peterman (like Taylor) was drafted so late. And I think Peterman (like Taylor) has a good chance to prove the critics wrong. But to do so (like Taylor) he's going to have to maximize his talents with discipline, focus and a lot of hard work. Wherever you rank Taylor in the middle-third of current starters, I'll bet he wouldn't have been anywhere near as good if dropped into the lineup his rookie year. You put NP out there now and all you'll do is expose him. His best shot is long term.

The peterman love is better than the jeff tuel obsessions. But not by a wide margin.

Nah... the backup qb nonsense is Bologna. If it was Yates no one is calling his name and everyone knows that. Psychology 101? Ok, fun agenda bud.

Fact is, it's more complex than that.

Starting qb stinks, and is on his way out.

Peterman has shown some flashes.

Expose him? To what, football? Good, the only way a qb gets better is by playing football. Not watching an inferior qb play football.

Playing Taylor gets nothing accomplished. We're taking a qb in the draft. Playing Peterman at least gives us an idea of what the kid has.

Tyrod has been in the league for 7 years now.

I think it's more how this Coaching Staff thinks than anything else.

This is the 3rd OC that hasnt given Tyrod the full freedom to change plays at the line. Either its a coincidence or they all didnt want to give him with that responsibility for a particular reason. Edited by Bangarang

This is the 3rd OC that hasnt given Tyrod the full freedom to change plays at the line. Either its a coincidence or they all didnt want to give him with that responsibility for a particular reason.

I'll keep echoing that it makes sense if you buy he's weak pre-snap. It's much harder to throw intermediate over the middle (into the crowd) if you aren't reading the safeties and linebackers well before the snap

It's all about TT's height. You have to go under center to audible. Everyone knows TT can't play under center because he can't see the field until he hits max depth on his drop. Starting a rookie this year or next means giving up on the next 3 years of football. Lots of careers that are gone because of that. Really hard to do. Also, rookie WRs are running the wrong routes. Add in audibles or switches, and it makes that worse.

Vet gets one full year, no questions ask. Rookie rides the bench the first year. No playoffs, draft a QB and repeat.

Edited by rant_and_go

Intelligence. Pure and simple. I'd bet a year's salary that Tyrod lacks the intelligence to scan the defense, diagnose the offensive play called vs the defensive alignment, and then make an adequate adjustment. I'll beat this drum until I'm dead and gone but brains at the QB position are more important that raw physical skills. It is an analytical position requiring and analytical mind. This isn't a RB, see hole, run through hole. I brought this up with fellow fans this weekend and the consensus is this guy is limited by intellect. I'm not saying he's dumb, I'm saying his intelligence and the way he sees and reads things doesn't work for him as a QB. Some people are good at math right? And some people are good at math and athletic. And some people suck at math and are athletic. Just because I guy can run and throw a football does not make him smart. That doesn't even include personality, the third leg on the three legged stool. Intelligence and/or athletics minus drive, will, grit, and motivation is useless. Dareus with Ray Lewis' hatred of losing is a perennial pro bowler, all pro, and HOFer. Absent that, he's a useless pile of wasted physical talent. And don't start with the "you don't know his upbringing" because that's an excuse but it's also a mistake to draft a guy like that if you have a single question about his drive and motivation, or drug use for that matter.

This is the problem with the NFL talent evaluation system. There's still too many Buddy Nix types out there with a stiffy for physical talent and that's why BB wins. I'll keep saying it, but Kraft said it live on TV during training camp, they don't draft dummies. And it's clear they don't draft lazy malcontents and underachievers.

Was the last QB allowed to audible Fitzpatrick? Not sure, didn't read this entire thread. But that would make sense.

I've been saying this for a long time.

TT doesn't have the QB smarts to not have limitations, and that is why it's so frustrating. He's everything else you want from a QB, but he's missing the biggest piece of the puzzle, and it cannot be aquired.

It's all about TT's height. You have to go under center to audible. Everyone knows TT can't play under center because he can't see the field until he hits max depth on his drop. Starting a rookie this year or next means giving up on the next 3 years of football. Lots of careers that are gone because of that. Really hard to do. Also, rookie WRs are running the wrong routes. Add in audibles or switches, and it makes that worse.

Vet gets one full year, no questions ask. Rookie rides the bench the first year. No playoffs, draft a QB and repeat.

Since when does a QB have to be under center to audible? His height has zero to do with whether he can or can not audible.

But have they ever really been a consistent offense? They have always been spotty. They would have terrible halves where they did nothing.

They scored 24 or more points in 11 of 16 games last year.

They scored 21 or more points in 11 of 16 games in 2015.

I don't remember the last time that's happened for a Bills' O.

The offense of the past 2 years wasn't perfect, the pass game certainly needed some work, but the run game was far from predictable, audibles or no audibles.

The run game plan did an excellent job of moving a defense a certain way, setting up blocks, opening up a cutback lane where the D didn't expect it..etc.

Most NFL run games these days are kind of vanilla, but I enjoyed watching this one...it showed imagination and innovation.

29 runs of more than 20 yards didn't happen by accident.

Unfortunately, people believe "just give it to Shady" is about all that you need to do. It would be nice if it were that simple.

He's going to get some plays, like the screen against the Jets, where he is going to get a lot of yards through his own improv.

But he's going to lose many opportunities by a play not being set up. He's also going to lose more opportunities by the D knowing where he's going before the snap.

I'll keep echoing that it makes sense if you buy he's weak pre-snap. It's much harder to throw intermediate over the middle (into the crowd) if you aren't reading the safeties and linebackers well before the snap

He does some things well it I dont think hell ever be a guy who reads coverages well and finds the weak spots.