Let's Talk About Clock Management

Numark3

What is going on there? A surprising amount of NFL coaches cannot manage the clock. Yet a college student can make a hierarchy of when to call a timeout at exact moments of a game to save the most clock. Him failing to call a TO with less than 40 seconds to go after a run was crazy.

Bills need to hire a time management guy to call timeouts at the end of a game

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is going on there? A surprising amount of NFL coaches cannot manage the clock. Yet a college student can make a hierarchy of when to call a timeout at exact moments of a game to save the most clock. Him failing to call a TO with less than 40 seconds to go after a run was crazy.

Disagree - everyone was close and they got the play off in under 13 seconds.

The QB on 2 straight plays needs to either throw it away or try to fit it someplace- the QB screwed up by running the ball when we need to pass.

The QB on 2 straight plays needs to either throw it away or try to fit it someplace- the QB screwed up by running the ball when we need to pass.

13 seconds in the last 40 seconds is a ton! You want to use your timeouts to save as many seconds as possible. Saving a TO and hoping to save more than 13 seconds is insane.

You call the TO there and save 13 seconds. Essentially anytime the clock stops inbounds in that position of the field you need to use your TO (not your last one). It isn't a crazy concept and thinking a different situation would have unfolded that would save more time than that is unlikely

Edited by Crayola64

Great minds think alike. I posted this on another thread.

There were some horrible coaching decisions in this game but I give McDermott the benefit of the doubt as a rookie head coach in his 2nd NFL game.

Lots of good veteran coaches (Reid) can't manage the clock, but I hope he learns. There were some issues today with it.

Time out management was terrible. The TO taken outside of 2 min after he let ~30 sec run off the clock was brutal.

I agree that he blew it at 43 seconds, but the defensive timeout was about strategy. He and Frazier wanted to see the alignment before calling the timeout. This is not the second coming of Rex.

Time out management was terrible. The TO taken outside of 2 min after he let ~30 sec run off the clock was brutal.

If you manage the clock well, you don't need those seconds. There are more ways to manage the clock in offense, which we didn't use. Anyway...We didn't run out of time. We ran out of yards.

Yea the TO before the 2 min is excusable because it wasn't to conserve time

Not sure I agree. If Zay catches that ball they need the TO they had left or else the clock would have expired. Even with the extra 13 seconds on the clock that had previously run off, they don't get down there and set up on time to spike it.

We had 2 timeouts at the time. It obviously changes how the next timeout would have been used.

Edited by Crayola64

I agree that he blew it at 43 seconds, but the defensive timeout was about strategy. He and Frazier wanted to see the alignment before calling the timeout. This is not the second coming of Rex.

Yep. It was the same thing Rivera did. Both were incredibly important plays.

Proper clock management puts us in position to win. Sean put us in position to win. If Zay did catch that and got tackled in field of play at 1 yard line then that timeout would have been very useful

Again, we had two timeouts when he should have called a TO. Look, I don't think clock management had anything to do with the loss, but saving time in the final two minutes when you have multiple timeouts is a science. There are objective moments when a timeout should be called. He missed one, hopefully its not a pattern

And to everyone who says it ended up not costing us anything, who cares? If we won, would we not be allowed to complaint about the inept offense because we won? Of course we still can.

Clock management is a pet peeve of mine because so many head coaches are bad at it. It strikes a cord

Edited by Crayola64

And to everyone who says it ended up not costing us anything, who cares? If we won, would we not be allowed to complaint about the inept offense because we won? Of course we still

But the clock didn't expire. In fact, the Panthers got the ball back and had to kneel. AND, we still could have stopped the clock one more time if needed. If we didn't actually run out of time, clock management wasn't an issue.

But the clock didn't expire. In fact, the Panthers got the ball back and had to kneel. AND, we still could have stopped the clock one more time if needed. If we didn't actually run out of time, clock management wasn't an issue.

You are using hindsight and an imaginary sequence of events where the missed TO would have been better. You can make a bad decision, and have it work out for you. I'm not saying that. But if you have multiple timeouts in under 40 seconds, and you waste 13 seconds after a play ends, then you missed a spot to call a TO. Because the chances of you saving more than 13 seconds in a later play is low-percentage.

It really isn't complicated.

And again, I didn't say it cost us the game or had an impact. Also not hard to understand...

You are using hindsight and an imaginary sequence of events where the missed TO would have been better. You can make a bad decision, and have it work out for you. I'm not saying that. But if you have multiple timeouts in under 40 seconds, and you waste 13 seconds after a play ends, then you missed a spot to call a TO. Because the chances of you saving more than 13 seconds in a later play is low-percentage.

It really isn't complicated.

And again, I didn't say it cost us the game or had an impact. Also not hard to understand...

It isn't complicated, what you're saying just doesn't make sense. It'd be like blaming the driver for running out of gas because you arrive at your destination 5 minutes late with 1/2 tank of gas left.

So are all you whining because Rich freaking Gannon didn't like that they used a time out? Seriously?

Do you Bills fans not have a clue?

If Taylor throws a better ball, that clock management is perfect as it leaves no time left for Carolina.

The least of the Bills' trouble is McDermott's clock management...

I wish Bills fans were not so friggin clueless.

So are all you whining because Rich freaking Gannon didn't like that they used a time out? Seriously?

Do you Bills fans not have a clue?

If Taylor throws a better ball, that clock management is perfect as it leaves no time left for Carolina.

The least of the Bills' trouble is McDermott's clock management...

I wish Bills fans were not so friggin clueless.

How many times do I have to say it didn't matter and had no impact on the game. I don't know how you can type when you are unable to read?

It isn't complicated, what you're saying just doesn't make sense. It'd be like blaming the driver for running out of gas because you arrive at your destination 5 minutes late with 1/2 tank of gas left.

What are you talking about? So if something doesn't impact the end of the game, we can't criticise or discuss it?

....seriously?...that comes under the auspices of your HC and is in his job description....

The new coaching regime scores poorly today for clock management, game management, and that decision to kick a FG on 4th and 2 in my opinion as well.

I.E., McDermott may be young, but he does represent much fresh and new in these departments at OBD.

I truly hope he gets better at these things; I had hope that he would have been better than what we saw today.

CLCOK MANAGEMENT, CLOCK MANAGEMENT

Bills fans are douches... GOD is WNY full of whiners.

It's the QB stupid...

!@#$ing sick of this moronic !@#$ing fan base!

lol this is a great post from someone calling people douches. Fails to read the thread, doesn't understand it, and starts shouting

:w00t:

How many times do I have to say it didn't matter and had no impact on the game. I don't know how you can type when you are unable to read?

What are you talking about? So if something doesn't impact the end of the game, we can't criticise or discuss it?

Just because you disagree with the strategy doesn't mean it was a mistake or mismanagement. I'm gonna have to believe that the HC of an NFL team can manage a NFL game better than you. The premise of your statements isn't that you disagree with the strategy, but rather, that McDermott can't manage the clock, which is just inaccurate and stupid.

Just because you disagree with the strategy doesn't mean it was a mistake or mismanagement. I'm gonna have to believe that the HC of an NFL team can manage a NFL game better than you. The premise of your statements isn't that you disagree with the strategy, but rather, that McDermott can't manage the clock, which is just inaccurate and stupid.

I don't think I said he can't manage a clock? So inaccurate and stupid eh? I'm talking about one specific bad clock management decision. And I don't feel like explaining why it was bad choice anymore. The second timeout in less than a minute of a game should be used to save as much time as possible. Failing to use it when it took almost 15 seconds to run a play was a bad decision objectively, because the chances of being able to save that much time with your 2nd TO is very unlikely.

Choosing when to use that last TO is much much more subjective. And saying blabla is a head coach so he is better at that than you is a silly argument. I bet you think Reid's clock management is just dandy. He of course can manage a game better than me, but I am not saying that, or saying he managed this game badly. I'm pointing out he missed a chance to call a TO in a very obvious opportunity

Edited by Crayola64