Zay Jones drops huge catch. <radio edit>

r00tabaga

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the cold light of dawn, it's increasingly clear to me from watching the overhead view posted by 26cb that that was basically a perfect throw. Jones really screwed the pooch on that one--no field or time awareness plus a late stagger that occurred after taylor released it. Jones just blew it. There's really nothing more to it.

It looks like a bad throw because Zay tripped breaking to the corner. Just watch it...

That said, TT could have certainly had a better game. No support from the O-line in the run game either.

Yes, he stumbled in his beak and therefore was late getting his head around. Ball was already in the air because it's an anticipation throw everyone says Tyrod can't make from 35 yards away.

If Zay has a smooth break and gets his head around, he tracks it over his shoulder as he trots into the end zone.

If tryrod throws where Zay was running it's tough for him to stay in bounds and catch.

Blame who you want, I think he threw to the right spot.

But Sammy does.

That is all I could think at the time. If that had been Sammy, we would have won that game and are 2-0. This lose is on management for gutting the team this year for a gamble on possible unknown gains in next year's draft. A Sammy or an OBJ makes that catch.

Edited by simpleman

For those who blame Tyrod- he probably won't be here next year, and if he is he's a place holder for a rookie. But hey... we were right there in a game where our number 1 rushing attack had like 10 yards, go D!

For those who blame Zay - he's a rookie and he's honestly probably pressing a bit because he has to. This is why it's rare to see rookie WRs make a huge jump unless they're supremely talented, he's struggling to get open.

In the cold light of dawn, it's increasingly clear to me from watching the overhead view posted by 26cb that that was basically a perfect throw. Jones really screwed the pooch on that one--no field or time awareness plus a late stagger that occurred after taylor released it. Jones just blew it. There's really nothing more to it.

Correct. And like you and I have said, he also slowed down. He started trotting to the sideline, then seemed surprised to see the ball coming towards him and fought the catch with his hands. It was a disaster of a route and demonstrated a disturbing lack of focus and situational awareness.

It was a bad throw

Says who? You? I trust my eyes, the experts and Zay Jones' own words but carry on.

So are we giving Taylor a pass for the first 58 minutes because he made one throw that may or my not have been catch-able?

Everyone gets a pass if you win. That's all I'm concerned with. If my defense gets gashed for 1,000 yards but makes the game-winning goal line stand...yes, they get a pass. Tyrod did enough on the last drive to earn us a victory. Unfortunately, we lost (or fortunately for some "fans") so let's move on.

Nope try again. A real QB puts that in an area that would allow Zay to walk into the endzone. Zay was wide open, shame, I feel bad for Zay.

Agree

How hard is it to have more than 25 yards passing in the first half? You could of had 25 yards for crying out loud.

Edited by offsides#76FredSmerlas

The way I'm starting to look at this is that it was good that TT had trust in a rookie WR to make that play in that situation. He had that much faith in Zay. I like that. The flip side is, damn, a great deal of pressure is being placed on a rookie to make clutch potential game winning plays.

It hit him in the hands because he made an incredibly quick adjustment inside on an outside route.

Blaming Jones is amateur hour analysis

Luckily we didn't play a 100% Cam Newton. He was inaccurate today just coming off rotator surgery. That game would have been way more out of control.

The D did a real nice job.

So are we giving Taylor a pass for the first 58 minutes because he made one throw that may or my not have been catch-able?

Taylor's first 58 minutes were atrocious no doubt. The Panthers front seven is actually good too so let's not lose that in the discussion. That said, the Panthers revealed a weakness to TT and this offense. They stacked the box and took McCoy away and dared TT to make plays to the WR's. It didn't happen. Weaknesses revealed.