Hall Of Fame - Most deserving/Most likely

BuffAlone

Greetings fellow fans. Didn't see anything posted regarding this fact so I thought I'd look for some feedback...for the record, this information comes from an article I read, and am paraphrasing from.

Buffalo has 7 former players and coach up for HOF voting to be enshrined in '18. Of them....

Steve Tasker. WR/ST 1985-1997

Claimed off waivers in '86, become a 7 times Pro Bowler and only ST to be named Games MVP in '93. Been in top 25 voting for HOF 6 times.

Bills Wall of Fame inductee '07

Terrell Owens. WR 1996-2010

Only one year played for Buffalo(2009) after an often time tumultuous career. Retired in 2010, ranking 2nd in receiving yards(15,934),2nd in TD's(153), 2nd in receptions(1,078), and 1st in popcorn sales. Holds Bills' franchise record for longest TD pass caught from none other than Fitzy...

No Wall of Fame

Darryl Talley. Lb 1983-1996

Spiderman finished his career with 1190 tackles(1095 for Bills).Played in 204 straight games from 1983-1994.

Bills Wall of Fame inductee '03

Cornelius Bennett. Lb 1987-2000

What can I say? We completely hosed Indy on *that* deal Biscuit appeared in 5 Pro Bowls, 5 Super Bowls, including being a 3 time All Pro and 2 time AFC DPOY.Finished with 1048 tackles( 751 for Bills),71.5 sacks(52.5 for Bills),7 Int's(6 for Bills).

No Wall of Fame

Ruben Brown. G 1995-2007

Dominate.Consistent.Durable. Missed only 8 games in 9 years. Pro Bowler 9 times and was First team All Conference in both '98 & '99

No Wall of Fame

Kent Hull. C 1986-1996

The anchor up front.Nicknamed by teammates as simply "Tough". Appeared in 121 straight games at one point, his overall career games played stands at 170(regular season).Sadly passes away at age 50 in 2011.

Bills Wall of Fame inductee '02

Chuck Knox. Coach 1973-1994

Knox coached in Buffalo from 1978-1982 and finished with a 37-36 record after having made the playoffs in both 1980 & 1981. Knox finished with a career mark of 186-147-1. Named NFL coach of the year an admirable 4 times and is 10th all time in regular season victories.

So my question is, of this list who is Most Deserving, and who is Most Likely to be enshrined into the Hall of Fame first?

*apologies for the bad paragraphing, thats not how I typed it lol*

Edited by Just Jack
fixed paragraphs

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TO is an idiot but he's probably the only one who belongs in the HOF. Maybe Tasker if they want to recognize STs.

But those are a group of good to very good players. The HOF is for greatness and has become dilute.

And I'm a big fan of Biscuit, obviously. I was young during the glory days but wasn't a knock on him was that he was a little soft and didn't go hard all the time?

Well, he also chimed in with 27 fumble recoveries and 3 TD's. So I don't know about soft. Personally I'd say Tasker is most deserving and T.O. is most likely. How bout you?

I thought that knock on the Bills D during the SB years was being soft. Bruce is arguably one of the best defensive players ever. It made the job of everyone else much, much easier. I just remember hearing the Biscuit could have been a much more dominant player if he cared more. I could be wrong.

And I don't know if the rest of NFL values STs enough. It's a third of the game but then that might open a Pandora's box about other ST guys over the years. Like Matthew Slater is a great ST. Should he be in the HOF?

That said, for Tasker do what he did in the NFL is amazing. When you meet him, he is the poster child of dad bod and most ordinary looking man.

I think T.O. gets in first, but Tasker deserves it. Owens didn't change his position like Tasker did, although he excelled at it.

And I honestly feel like Biscuit is at least worthy of Wall of Fame induction due to numbers alone, without the determination of drive or motivation

Teams planned for Tasker often putting two or three players on him.

The rule preventing a player from going out of bounds voluntarily and returning to make stop was put in due to Tasker who did it to get around double and triple teams.

Putting Tasker in Hall of Fame may open the door a crack but that would not be enough to get many special team players in it.

I thought that knock on the Bills D during the SB years was being soft. Bruce is arguably one of the best defensive players ever. It made the job of everyone else much, much easier. I just remember hearing the Biscuit could have been a much more dominant player if he cared more. I could be wrong.

And I don't know if the rest of NFL values STs enough. It's a third of the game but then that might open a Pandora's box about other ST guys over the years. Like Matthew Slater is a great ST. Should he be in the HOF?

That said, for Tasker do what he did in the NFL is amazing. When you meet him, he is the poster child of dad bod and most ordinary looking man.

The "bend but don't break" Walt Cory defense was criminal. He wasted HOF defenders and near HOF defenders to put on an avg soft defense showing. When Bryce Paup showed up and they played an attacking D, under Wade Phillps as new DC, they played better with much less talent.

Edited by cba fan

Most Deserving - Steve Tasker first and foremost without a doubt. TO also deserves to be in, looking at his body of work and in the amount of time he did it in.

Most Likely - TO

I respectfully disagree with you all who think Biscuit isn't deserving...i think he was a freak of nature and and absolute beast on the field. I do believe that if his intensity matched his talent level, he probably would've posted even higher numbers all around...

I think TO is both most deserving and most likely.

Absolutely.

Tasker - they can throw him a bone as a Legacy member (or whatever they call it)

Talley - no to the HoF

Bennett- no to the HoF, hell yes to the WoF

Ruben - hell no to either, :censored: him for quitting on the team. :thumbdown: If he ever went it, let it be as a Bear.

Hull - maybe Legacy, but since he's already passed (RIP), I don't see it.

Knox - no to the HoF, but he'd be OK to the WoF

Well, he also chimed in with 27 fumble recoveries and 3 TD's. So I don't know about soft. Personally I'd say Tasker is most deserving and T.O. is most likely. How bout you?

....agree......it took awhile for MLB to consider relievers for Cooperstown......in the NFL,Stenerrud was first kicker to be enshrined in 1991 along with George Blanda, Lou Groza, Ray Guy,....has to come a time when Special Team standouts like Tasker finally get in IMO.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Your right Matthew slater is an amazing ST player he still can't hold Steve Taskers Jock

Tasker was 1 of a kind

Most likely: T.O. will and should get in. But, though it was fun having him for a season, I don't really think of him as a Bill.

Most Deserving: Steve Tasker should already be in. When they talk about criteria for the HOF it usually comes down to two things, was the guy transcendent at his position and did he change the game. The answer to both is yes. Probably the best special teamer to ever play (outside of kickers) and he (along with Marv and guys like Mark Pike) made special teams relevant again at that time in the game. Teams had to game plan for him. And on a 4-time Superbowl team with multiple HOFs, his special teams play many a time, turned a game or won a game for his team. He had a huge impact and with so many fewer snaps than the guys starting on O or D.

Chuck Knox should eventually get in. Great coach. Though his playoff winning percentage of .389 is probably what hurts his case.

O-linemen are tough. It's hard to quantify their careers without solid stats and most people don't understand or watch line play enough to really compare one great O-lineman vs. another. No doubt Kent Hull and Reuben were soooo important to the Bills teams they played on. Kelly often says Hull is the one who really made that offense work. But were they more transcendent than other O-linemen who are in the conversation? I'm not sure. I guess as they said on the John Murphy show, you'd have to talk to the players they played against to stack them up. But I think it may be a tough road for them to get into the HOF. Not that they aren't deserving.

Cornelius was a supremely talented athlete who made a lot of impact plays on a 4-time AFC championship team. I think he is on the bubble. But I'd be thrilled if he got in.

Darryl Talley was not only the heart and soul of that 4-time AFC championship defense, but its brain and emotion as well. He still sits at 10th All-time in the NFL for total tackles (of all players since the 70s when they started keeping the stat). That stat alone should keep him in the conversation. Not sure if he'll ever get in, but imho, he should get in.

Good luck to all of them!

Edited by folz

TO is without a doubt the most deserving and most likely. Not sure how that's even a conversation. He's on of the best WRs ever, no question.

Of the other Bills it's between Tasker and Bennett imo. Tasker is the best gunner in history and if Ray Guy is in, he should be in at some point imo. Most likely legacy. Don't think he gets in on the regular ballot. Bennett was a beast. Just not sure if he's worthy of the HoF

TO is without a doubt the most deserving and most likely. Not sure how that's even a conversation. He's on of the best WRs ever, no question.

Of the other Bills it's between Tasker and Bennett imo. Tasker is the best gunner in history and if Ray Guy is in, he should be in at some point imo. Most likely legacy. Don't think he gets in on the regular ballot. Bennett was a beast. Just not sure if he's worthy of the HoF

...TO will be punished for a LONG time as he was never a media darling and some of the minions voting subjectively hold personal grudges versus objective analysis.........I'd bet Jerry Sullivan would vote against his mother.............

I think we're past the point of regular trips to Canton in August. Of that list, only Tasker may be the last one in, (I'm not considering TO) before they reach the age where the Senior committee decides if they get in.

....would be nice Jack if the Senior Committee FINALLY breaks the ice with Special Teamers IMO........but they should also have been productive at their natural position as Tasker was..........