Last time the Bills made you cry

Buffalo716

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimbos retirement speech I welled up some. then again when he broke the news he had cancer.

I didn't cry hen he was diagnosed. But when he was declared cancer free, my allergies started going crazy. Someone bought me a Kelly Tough shirt and that made me cry. But that's because my grandma and cousin both died of cancer within two years of each other, both of their last names were Kelly.

Mckelvin fumbling away the upset of NE.

I think that was my last one for me.

Another time would've been week 15 the year Jauron was coaching and he didn't attempt a FG against the Titans with a playoff spot still potentially open. I believe it would have been from 51 yards to win!

Instead on 4th down we trotted out Losman and he got sacked on a disaster of a play call!

Another season was over.

Definitely the day everybody knew the Pegulas had the winning bid. I was still at Brockport and shared a house with a couple NYets fans who had spent the spring before telling me that there was no way the team was staying. As soon as the Kelly Pegula tweet went viral, a couple friends came over and started partying, and we didn't stop until about 6pm the next day. We just sat in my room and listened to WGR all day, shirking all other commitments. I was an emotional wreck all day, and doing my best to keep it together, but I lost it when JR from the DR called into the Howard Simon Show. A lifetime of doubt about the security of the franchise evaporating will do that, I guess.

Again, everybody who says I will never cry, it's just a game Is completely overthinking it and just acting tough for the crowd.

You are posting on a Bills message board for crying out loud, that automatically makes you in the 1-2% of fans. It's not about a loss.

It can be the day Kevin Everett returned to buffalo and walked in the stadium... thousands were crying , so you can't sit here and say it's just a game I'd never cry over.

Because I see Bills fans crying all the time, for real reasons not on the field related

Ok, I probably did tear up a bit when Everett walked. I hadn't even considered that moment.

In 1999 I turned 10 years old. I was a diehard NHL and Sabres fan. Honestly, I had loved the Sabres since I could walk. The sport clicked with me more because I played it and grew up in a hockey family. I remember attending game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals, the first Cup game hosted in Buffalo since 1975. It was electric. We lost 2-1, and I was devastated. I didn't cry, but I remember being very upset that it put us down in the series, and it was the first time that I considered the possibility that we might lose. You see, up until that point in my young life it hadn't occured to me that my favorite city was actually destined for failure. It only made sense that we would win it all before this game. Hell, we had Hasek!

Later in the week we lost the finals in game six. It was late. I was up, but it was just so late, and being young and watching the cup being hoisted around by the Stars while there was all this controversy and just hearing my parents talk about getting screwed... it just really affected me. I remember just shouting "WHY?" over and over again into my pillow. It's weird that the same feeling has bubbled up in me...maybe not the tears, but an internal "what did I do to deserve this" mantra has appeared so many more times over the years as a Buffalo sports fan.

Anyways, that's not the last time I cried over sports. Later that year I got really into football. Of course I was a already Bills fan, and we had season tickets, but this was the first year that I really "got it". Remember that first year where you learned who the nickel corner was? The first year where you actually followed the draft and paid attention to position battles in training camp? 1999 was that year for me. The year I got hooked for life.

A few memories stuck out more than others that season... I remember a home game against the Steelers where we held on for our fourth or fifth consecutive win. We were 4-1 or 5-1 at the time and I could feel for the first time that playoff energy you get after the game where it's just clear that we're having a good season. I've since learned to reject this feeling out of superstition. We were buzzing about how Antoine Smith looked like a promising rookie and Flutie had looked so much better than Kordell Stewart.

When we made the playoffs I remember my father getting me hyped for the game. I had just missed the Kelly years. Sure, I was technically there... I had been to a few games and I have some scattered memories of our "dynasty", but I wasn't old enough to really "get it". My Dad explained to me how important this season was. We still had Bruce and Andre, and Phil Hansen. There was a passing of the torch to younger guys like Moulds and Winfield and Cowart, and I was fortunate enough to witness it!

I'm sure my Dad was just getting me excited because he wanted to experience the playoffs with me and enjoy watching me go through my first time following a team on a run. I mean, can you blame him? It's still the 90's and we hadn't done much else but win.

I don't remember the game at all, just the last minute. I must have blacked it out from all the chaos. When Christie hit the field goal to go up I remember jumping up and down in the living room. My Dad and I had earlier pushed the couches back to play a little fake goal line stand game in between the TV timeouts so there was more room than usual. So there I was, just running around and jumping and genuinely celebrating. When the kickoff happened I was barely watching. My Dad got my attention when he screamed for them to squib it and that made me focus on the return just as the forward pass took place.

The rest is insane. It's a blur, really it is. I just remember the feeling compounding with the Cup loss not six months before and just crying into the night. It broke me. I think the joy of watching the game with my Dad, after being groomed all season to really follow the team, and the heartbreak right after made it feel surreal. I didn't just take the loss like a loss, I took it as if the world had played a cruel trick on me, and it wasn't fair.

I'm in the weirdest generation of Bills fans. We're all rounding the corner to 30, and yet remarkably, that is the only playoff game we remember. We're the right age to understand how the city and community feels when the team is dominating, but we were just so young that we don't have clear memories of it. Those of use that have been fans since the '99 season... the drought hits us maybe the hardest. The "hey day" is the stuff of legends. Playoffs seem less like a regular season goal and more like greek mythology.

I've watched those epic games like the '90 AFC Championship and I shed a tear even though I wasn't there. Just to experience that feeling. How great it must have felt. Those of us from Buffalo, we have something to prove. I live in California now, but there isn't a single friend out here who doesn't know I'm a Bills fan. They can't figure out why I have so much pride about the Bills, but that's because they've never had that memory. Hugging and high-fiving your father in the living room one minute, crying yourself to sleep the next.

In 1999 I turned 10 years old. I was a diehard NHL and Sabres fan. Honestly, I had loved the Sabres since I could walk. The sport clicked with me more because I played it and grew up in a hockey family. I remember attending game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals, the first Cup game hosted in Buffalo since 1975. It was electric. We lost 2-1, and I was devastated. I didn't cry, but I remember being very upset that it put us down in the series, and it was the first time that I considered the possibility that we might lose. You see, up until that point in my young life it hadn't occured to me that my favorite city was actually destined for failure. It only made sense that we would win it all before this game. Hell, we had Hasek!

Later in the week we lost the finals in game six. It was late. I was up, but it was just so late, and being young and watching the cup being hoisted around by the Stars while there was all this controversy and just hearing my parents talk about getting screwed... it just really affected me. I remember just shouting "WHY?" over and over again into my pillow. It's weird that the same feeling has bubbled up in me...maybe not the tears, but an internal "what did I do to deserve this" mantra has appeared so many more times over the years as a Buffalo sports fan.

Anyways, that's not the last time I cried over sports. Later that year I got really into football. Of course I was a already Bills fan, and we had season tickets, but this was the first year that I really "got it". Remember that first year where you learned who the nickel corner was? The first year where you actually followed the draft and paid attention to position battles in training camp? 1999 was that year for me. The year I got hooked for life.

A few memories stuck out more than others that season... I remember a home game against the Steelers where we held on for our fourth or fifth consecutive win. We were 4-1 or 5-1 at the time and I could feel for the first time that playoff energy you get after the game where it's just clear that we're having a good season. I've since learned to reject this feeling out of superstition. We were buzzing about how Antoine Smith looked like a promising rookie and Flutie had looked so much better than Kordell Stewart.

When we made the playoffs I remember my father getting me hyped for the game. I had just missed the Kelly years. Sure, I was technically there... I had been to a few games and I have some scattered memories of our "dynasty", but I wasn't old enough to really "get it". My Dad explained to me how important this season was. We still had Bruce and Andre, and Phil Hansen. There was a passing of the torch to younger guys like Moulds and Winfield and Cowart, and I was fortunate enough to witness it!

I'm sure my Dad was just getting me excited because he wanted to experience the playoffs with me and enjoy watching me go through my first time following a team on a run. I mean, can you blame him? It's still the 90's and we hadn't done much else but win.

I don't remember the game at all, just the last minute. I must have blacked it out from all the chaos. When Christie hit the field goal to go up I remember jumping up and down in the living room. My Dad and I had earlier pushed the couches back to play a little fake goal line stand game in between the TV timeouts so there was more room than usual. So there I was, just running around and jumping and genuinely celebrating. When the kickoff happened I was barely watching. My Dad got my attention when he screamed for them to squib it and that made me focus on the return just as the forward pass took place.

The rest is insane. It's a blur, really it is. I just remember the feeling compounding with the Cup loss not six months before and just crying into the night. It broke me. I think the joy of watching the game with my Dad, after being groomed all season to really follow the team, and the heartbreak right after made it feel surreal. I didn't just take the loss like a loss, I took it as if the world had played a cruel trick on me, and it wasn't fair.

I'm in the weirdest generation of Bills fans. We're all rounding the corner to 30, and yet remarkably, that is the only playoff game we remember. We're the right age to understand how the city and community feels when the team is dominating, but we were just so young that we don't have clear memories of it. Those of use that have been fans since the '99 season... the drought hits us maybe the hardest. The "hey day" is the stuff of legends. Playoffs seem less like a regular season goal and more like greek mythology.

I've watched those epic games like the '90 AFC Championship and I shed a tear even though I wasn't there. Just to experience that feeling. How great it must have felt. Those of us from Buffalo, we have something to prove. I live in California now, but there isn't a single friend out here who doesn't know I'm a Bills fan. They can't figure out why I have so much pride about the Bills, but that's because they've never had that memory. Hugging and high-fiving your father in the living room one minute, crying yourself to sleep the next.

Im 29, so I feel you. Outta curiosity are you a Doug Flutie fan? He is still my favorite Bill of all time, and I think it has to do with what you mention, the late 90s are what I remember as a kid.

Sunday when they set offenses back 40 years

My wife took our three year old grandson to the park while I screamed with my two boys visiting Nashville. I think he might have cried had he witnessed our reaction to that offensive offense. It's too soon to scar the young boy. We start at the 5th birthday in my family.