Week 2: Panthers' Game Preparation - Inactives Announced

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills are about run into a buzsaw

23 points against a bottom feeder team? They lost a fumble, threw a pick, and Cam had 171 yards passing. They also benefited from 74 penalty yards. I'm not saying that Cam won't show up swinging in the home opener (he absolutely will), but this a 6-10 team that scrambled to fix holes. Also, Cam Newton hasn't shown anything after shoulder surgery.

Gotta hope McDermott is going to know how to attack and take advantage of those young CBs they trial-by-fire'd last year.

I wonder if they put Matthews outside for that reason. He might be nullified in the slot with the help that their LBs provide in coverage. Kuechly had an amazing INT on Sunday. I wouldn't blame Tyrod for not throwing over the middle this game...

The Panthers are not that great. They are your typical average team in the NFL, kinda like the Bills have been and might be again this year. I'd take the points, but really won't be too surprised if the Bills lose by 10 or win by 10.

PS - Holy crap does Brian Blessing look old!!

I wonder if they put Matthews outside for that reason. He might be nullified in the slot with the help that their LBs provide in coverage. Kuechly had an amazing INT on Sunday. I wouldn't blame Tyrod for not throwing over the middle this game...

I think you want to put Matthews in the slot in '11' sets. He's got the best catch radius of the 3 (at least until Zay proves otherwise) and probably has the best feel for where to settle between the LBs and safeties in Carolina's zone looks.

Plus I think having both Matthews and Clay inside forces Carolina to commit more to the interior than they'd like, which should give one-on-one opportunities for Zay and Shady out of the backfield.

In my opinion, this is not a very good matchup for the Bills.

The Panthers offensive strengths have the potential to exploit the Bills biggest weak points. Specifically, Cam Newton's running ability, Greg Olsen matched up against our linebackers in coverage and Christian McCaffrey out of the backfield. To stop these guys, you need some speed and athleticism at LB (and we really don't). As a positive, Sean McDermott faced Newton every day in practice. If anyone has a strategy to shut him down, our coaching staff should have it on Sunday.

On the other side of the ball, we don't really match up well either. Last year, the Panthers defense was pretty good at stopping the run (Top 10 in YPA). So handing the ball to Shady 20+ times may not be enough to move the ball consistently. The Panther pass defense was bottom half in most categories, but they were #2 in sacks. This was mostly due to them starting two rookies on the outside. If the Jets game was about attacking the linebackers in coverage, this game should be about attacking the corners. With our group of wide receivers, I'm not entirely confident we can do that effectively.

It's fair to question whether the Panthers are closer to the 2015 team (15-1, NFC Champions) or the 2016 team (6-10, Last Place). Their record since hiring Ron Rivera and drafting Cam Newton has been constantly up-and-down. They are one of the hardest franchises in the NFL to predict. To win this game, I think the Bills need to have success in areas they usually struggle at. They need to get great coverage from their linebackers. They need to stay disciplined on the defensive line. They need to keep the pocket clean and get yards passing the ball to their receivers.

@SalSports

86-degrees for Bills/Panthers Sunday in Charlotte.

Dang - it's been unseasonably cool in NC lately too. Good thing they have experience now with the heavy DL rotation from first game