Week 2: Panthers' Game Preparation - Inactives Announced

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if they put Matthews outside for that reason. He might be nullified in the slot with the help that their LBs provide in coverage. Kuechly had an amazing INT on Sunday. I wouldn't blame Tyrod for not throwing over the middle this game...

Tis important for all you who have mentioned him not passing "Over the Middle"

Be unwise against the Panthers generally speaking

I think you want to put Matthews in the slot in '11' sets. He's got the best catch radius of the 3 (at least until Zay proves otherwise) and probably has the best feel for where to settle between the LBs and safeties in Carolina's zone looks.

Plus I think having both Matthews and Clay inside forces Carolina to commit more to the interior than they'd like, which should give one-on-one opportunities for Zay and Shady out of the backfield.

Dude

Edited by 3rdand12

I think you want to put Matthews in the slot in '11' sets. He's got the best catch radius of the 3 (at least until Zay proves otherwise) and probably has the best feel for where to settle between the LBs and safeties in Carolina's zone looks.

Plus I think having both Matthews and Clay inside forces Carolina to commit more to the interior than they'd like, which should give one-on-one opportunities for Zay and Shady out of the backfield.

That's a good point.

I've been thinking this is Zay's time to shine against those CBs.

It's going to be a tough game, timing is in our favor though because Newton still looks injured. Carolina has all the pieces for a rebound season and it's their home opener. Taylor will need to be sharp as will the front 7. Push the pocket this week and stop playing patty cake with the online.

great breakdown of their defense....looks to me like a lot of pass rush was generated because San Frans LG played like booty cheeks. Hopefully this is not the case with Richie

Also looks like their zone defense gives up a lot of boundary passes, something TT can do well

great breakdown of their defense....looks to me like a lot of pass rush was generated because San Frans LG played like booty cheeks. Hopefully this is not the case with Richie

Also looks like their zone defense gives up a lot of boundary passes, something TT can do well

Like I said: with Matthews and Clay working the inside, Zay will have his fair share of opportunities on the boundary. I also think this is a game where you want to work Shady in the passing game early and often. If you can force the Panthers to match Davis (or Kuechly) on Shady, you'll open up those larger throwing windows in their zones for Clay/Matthews.

The matchup I worry about with their front is when they move Short over Miller's outside shoulder--he's quick and stout enough to cause major disruption working from the 3-tech spot.

Defensively, they'll need to stay disciplined, and they'll need to generate pass rush with their front 4 when Cam takes his deep drops.

Like I said: with Matthews and Clay working the inside, Zay will have his fair share of opportunities on the boundary. I also think this is a game where you want to work Shady in the passing game early and often. If you can force the Panthers to match Davis (or Kuechly) on Shady, you'll open up those larger throwing windows in their zones for Clay/Matthews.

The matchup I worry about with their front is when they move Short over Miller's outside shoulder--he's quick and stout enough to cause major disruption working from the 3-tech spot.

Defensively, they'll need to stay disciplined, and they'll need to generate pass rush with their front 4 when Cam takes his deep drops.

for sure on all accounts. Shady said after the game that they didnt throw one designed pass play to him, we will see that this week. Moving one of those LBs in man coverage out on shady, or even forcing them to honor him in their zone coverage will DEF. open things up in the middle, abbbbsoooolutely

What can we do in those situations where short is lined up over millers outside shoulder - particularly in pass pro? Shift pass pro to the right so wood can help with an inside move by Short? Blast our FB/RB up the gut to help an inside rush move by Short? This does worry me

for sure on all accounts. Shady said after the game that they didnt throw one designed pass play to him, we will see that this week. Moving one of those LBs in man coverage out on shady, or even forcing them to honor him in their zone coverage will DEF. open things up in the middle, abbbbsoooolutely

What can we do in those situations where short is lined up over millers outside shoulder - particularly in pass pro? Shift pass pro to the right so wood can help with an inside move by Short? Blast our FB/RB up the gut to help an inside rush move by Short? This does worry me

I suspect you'll see a fair amount of Tolbert as the lone back in obvious passing situations, as he's a solid blocker. If it were me, I'd try to leave him unblocked a few times early and run a few trap plays in his direction; hopefully hit a few big-gainers on the ground and force him to take an extra half-second to read his keys moving forward.

I don't think you'll see a lot of help from Wood, since that's a heckuva reach for him to get to Miller's outside shoulder. More likely you'll see Mills squeeze down on the B-gap to try to prevent Short from knifing through quickly; better to take your chances that Mills can squeeze down the gap and get a half-push on the LDE (who you're then hoping will be cut/bumped by the back in pass pro) than let Short take the path of least resistance.

At least that's how I'd approach it.

I suspect you'll see a fair amount of Tolbert as the lone back in obvious passing situations, as he's a solid blocker. If it were me, I'd try to leave him unblocked a few times early and run a few trap plays in his direction; hopefully hit a few big-gainers on the ground and force him to take an extra half-second to read his keys moving forward.

I don't think you'll see a lot of help from Wood, since that's a heckuva reach for him to get to Miller's outside shoulder. More likely you'll see Mills squeeze down on the B-gap to try to prevent Short from knifing through quickly; better to take your chances that Mills can squeeze down the gap and get a half-push on the LDE (who you're then hoping will be cut/bumped by the back in pass pro) than let Short take the path of least resistance.

At least that's how I'd approach it.

Yes your pass pro approach makes sense, but with Wood what I am referring to would be: Miller steps right at snap to prevent outside rush by Short, Wood steps right to eliminate a quick charge from Short across Miller's face, in the time it would take Short to come across Miller's face, Wood should be able to get to Miller's inside shoulder and help fend off that inside rush

I also suspect we see a lot of Toldozier in pass pro

Their DB's are not terrible. They're young and there is footage on them. They started to get exposed later in the season but I imagine them to become among the best backfields in the league in a few years. All very young and they just need a nice linch pin at safety

Keuchly will not be all over Cam. I imagine he will roam across the LOS and key on McCoy more than Taylor. I would send McCoy out wide leaving a RB in the backfield to have an option or run or pass for Taylor. I don't fear Keuchly anymore. Davis has always been more potent. He will be a bigger factor.

Clay could have a big game if we find the seams of their zone and know their Defense

These guys really likely their defensive line. It's scary.

Weather report is saying 83 and Sunny in Charlotte on Sunday with 69% humidity. Knowing how hot and humid it could be down here Bills dodged a bullet with the weather.

You think that is dodging a bullet. Heat index almost at ninety sounds pretty warm to me!