Bills vs. Jets Postgame

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They had a couple pressure plays... I wouldn't exactly say they put "a lot" of pressure on McCown.

A lot of quick passing plays, wouldn't make sense to go hard after QB on those types of patterns. Our defensive game plan seemed to work well overall.

I'll never understand this concept of not trying to show things. All teams run the same plays or variations of the same stuff. A bootleg is pretty common stuff I would imagine. If the run game is going well then it should be effective every week.

its a game with in a game. If Tyrod has tells or tendencies that a bootleg is coming and preference to which direction he prefers based on alignment, postioning, etc why put that on tape unless necessary. I believe Mcdermott and Dennison are inly putting out there absolutely what they have to to win. They showed they were committed to that when they stubbornly ran that power run play for very little gains. If they were losing then you could expect the playbook to open a little more; basically enought to find a win. I think alot more if this is what we will se in the future.

Yeah, Jets, McCown, all that ... but some really encouraging things from this win:

1. Where were all the missed tackles that we've grown accustomed to from the Bills defense? McD seemed to put an emphasis on players with sound fundamentals, and it showed today. True, the Jets are lacking great playmakers, but still, it was good to see.

2. Where were all the idiotic penalties we've grown accustomed to? Same point as (1).

3. Jordan Matthews is no Sammy, but a Sammy who isn't on the field is worthless. And we've been missing that big, strong WR for many years now. I'll take "an upgrade over Robert Woods" for now, and I'll wait for Zay to emerge as the big playmaker.

4. Charles Clay was open all day and looked healthy. (again, yeah, Jets and their new DBs, but still). Now just hold onto the damn ball.

5. Tolbert does add a dimension. A little overused (please, no sweeps from the fire hydrant), but he will be a very useful player. Tyrod still needs to figure out how to get DiMarco involved. He will.

6. Poyer and Hyde are nice additions, and Tre and Gaines are too. See point (1) about actually tackling too.

7. Humber really fit in well. Might be the key defensive addition.

8. Left side of the line is looking very solid (including Wood)

Now for the bad:

1. Jets kicker: +1. Comes cheap: +2. Hauschka? -1. Costs too much: -2.

2. Tyrod is still Tyrod, which is still kind of o.k. but not really inspiring.

3. Where's the speed on offense other than Shady? I'm waiting for someone to step forward.

EDIT: and it didn't hurt that Bowles apparently never read the "when to go for 2, when not to" official coach's manual. You never go for 2 when it's 14-12 and tons of time left! If the other team scores a TD, you've just forced yourself into playing for 2 scores, not 1 (TD + 2 point conversion). It changes how you play the game and how the other team's defense plays the game, and in ways that are not to your advantage.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

A lot of quick passing plays, wouldn't make sense to go hard after QB on those types of patterns. Our defensive game plan seemed to work well overall.

I'm not saying it didn't. Just something I noticed. There were a couple drives where McCown could set up in the pocket and go through his reads.

I think some of the way the offense looked in the second half had a bit to do with just trying to sit on the game and take the air out of the ball

No question. People should remember that too when they complain about garbage time points and yards.

Yeah, Jets, McCown, all that ... but some really encouraging things from this win:

1. Where were all the missed tackles that we've grown accustomed to from the Bills defense? McD seemed to put an emphasis on players with sound fundamentals, and it showed today. True, the Jets are lacking great playmakers, but still, it was good to see.

2. Where were all the idiotic penalties we've grown accustomed to? Same point as (1).

3. Jordan Matthews is no Sammy, but a Sammy who isn't on the field is no good either. And we've been missing that big, strong WR for many years now. I'll take "an upgrade over Robert Woods" for now, and I'll wait for Zay to emerge as the big playmaker.

4. Charles Clay was open all day and looked healthy. (again, yeah, Jets and their new DBs, but still). Now just hold onto the damn ball.

5. Tolbert does add a dimension. A little overused (please, no sweeps from the fire hydrant), but he will be a very useful player. Tyrod still needs to figure out how to get DiMarco involved. He will.

6. Poyer and Hyde are nice additions, and Tre and Gaines are too. See point (1) about actually tackling too.

7. Humber really fit in well. Might be the key defensive addition.

8. Left side of the line is looking very solid (including Wood)

Now for the bad:

1. Jets kicker: +1. Comes cheap: +2. Hauschka? -1. Costs too much: -2.

2. Tyrod is still Tyrod, which is still kind of o.k. but not really inspiring.

3. Where's the speed on offense other than Shady? I'm waiting for someone to step forward.

there is none. We traded our speed to the Rams.

For sure. Just can't get sacks that way. And then people say they weren't getting pressure.

Jets have no WR and limited QB. So by design it's possible we were allowing them the 5-8 yard pass over the middle. But it was very easy. The only thing they could do all game.

It's impossible for us fans to know if that was our strategy. If it was it worked pretty well. If it wasn't it's scary it was so easy for them.

there is none. We traded our speed to the Rams.

RE: lack of speed other than Shady -- McD and Dennison didn't use Taiwan or Banyard, or really any of the WRs other than the starters. There is speed there in the depth guys, and I would hope that one or more of them will work their way into the offensive mix in the coming weeks.

Jets have no WR and limited QB. So by design it's possible we were allowing them the 5-8 yard pass over the middle. But it was very easy. The only thing they could do all game.

It's impossible for us fans to know if that was our strategy. If it was it worked pretty well. If it wasn't it's scary it was so easy for them.

McDermott's defense is classic bend don't break. Schwartz did the same thing when he was here, we'd give up some chunk yards but they wouldn't score. Today we only broke once, not bad at all.

Part of that is Buffalo defensive concept. They give up some short passes but they make the sure tackles on a lot of those plays.

Offensively the running and the short to intermediate passing game look encouraging. I don't think Buffalo has any deep threats, but took a couple of shots anyway. Taylor's decision making is very good still.

I thought the playcalling at the end got real conservative but I also think the coaches knew they had the game in hand against the Jets.

The play calling was a bit vanilla, especially in the 2nd half, but i dont think that was because they were trying to hide their playbook from future teams. I think its more about trying to keep it simple for the 1st week, given all the changes we've had since last year. A whole new secondary, a whole new receiving corps. I think if they would've tried to open things up more & get 'creative', perhaps there would be missed assignments or penalties. I think starting things off slow & steady was the right move. Give the guys confidence & get the win.

Overall nothing too crazy to get excited about this week, but a wins a win & like Mickey D said in the press conference: 'We're building for the future"

Part of that is Buffalo defensive concept. They give up some short passes but they make the sure tackles on a lot of those plays.

Offensively the running and the short to intermediate passing game look encouraging. I don't think Buffalo has any deep threats, but took a couple of shots anyway. Taylor's decision making is very good still.

I thought the playcalling at the end got real conservative but I also think the coaches knew they had the game in hand against the Jets.

Correct on both ends of the ball. The only way the Bills would lose this game would be by giving it away -- turnovers, ill-advised Rex-style blitzes leaving a receiver wide open for a lucky deep lob, etc. And so the game plan made perfect sense for this opponent.

McDermott's defense is classic bend don't break. Schwartz did the same thing when he was here, we'd give up some chunk yards but they wouldn't score. Today we only broke once, not bad at all.

Yup. That's what I'm hoping. Overall the defense was very good. Obviously by 12 points and not much more than 200 yards and 2 turnovers. But Jets really suck

Poyer is a dog. Had a great game

Yeah If he adds a little more weight we might have found a gem. He plays nasty I'm just a tad worride with his style of play he might not hold up, but a fantastic introduction to our new look safety group. Hyde played an excellent game as well, looking forward to a stiffer challenge next weekend against the panthers