SI Article- With Confidence- The Bills are Not Tanking

jethro_tull

How did Andre Johnson and Demaryius Thomas fare in the system? Rather well IIRC.

He's making $30K/week with the minimum set at $7200/week. Pretty darned good for a guy no team wanted.

touche ( good example)

Edited by Figster

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a good read. Thanks for sharing. I particularly liked this quote -

“We’re new, and we’re adding to the roster, and taking away from the roster,” McDermott said. “It’s a little more of a constant, constant, constant focus on the standard. Because if you don’t, that culture’s gonna grow up around you in the form of weeds. If you don’t manage the culture, develop the culture on a daily basis, it’s going to grow around you whether you like it or not"

Unfortunately the biggest weed has too high of a price tag to eradicate right now.

This is what the Neanderthals here don't understand. First, you have to create a culture of expectations where roles are clear; goals are set; and a steady progress is outlined so people understand. Second, patience, you stick to the plan in the short term when results are not perfect and sailing isn't smooth. Bailing on the system, especially one you are replicated from other successful systems, ensures failure. This goes to ownership too, they have to believe in the system and the process and give it time. The quickest way to failure is constant change, chasing your tail out of impatience, or in the case of Rex, a bad hire. But this is where RW sucked and who I blame for where this team is.

I like it and I want to see it applied and stuck to for at least 3 seasons.

This is what the Neanderthals here don't understand. First, you have to create a culture of expectations where roles are clear; goals are set; and a steady progress is outlined so people understand. Second, patience, you stick to the plan in the short term when results are not perfect and sailing isn't smooth. Bailing on the system, especially one you are replicated from other successful systems, ensures failure. This goes to ownership too, they have to believe in the system and the process and give it time. The quickest way to failure is constant change, chasing your tail out of impatience, or in the case of Rex, a bad hire. But this is where RW sucked and who I blame for where this team is.

I agree with everything you said, 100%.

Yep 100% spot on. It really isnt rocket science, I am highly highly confident the Pegula's understand this, they have THEIR handpickled GM and HC both of which are on the same page.

This regime has at least 3 years imo unless of course they prove total incompetence as was the situation with Rex.

man, some Neanderthal chick musta broke your heart something awful back in the day. they are your go-to subspecies when you disagree with someone.

all else is well-said, but you gotta stop the neanderthal-shaming. they just wanted to be loved like everyone else.

Yep 100% spot on. It really isnt rocket science, I am highly highly confident the Pegula's understand this, they have THEIR handpickled GM and HC both of which are on the same page.

This regime has at least 3 years imo unless of course they prove total incompetence as was the situation with Rex.

Handpicked? :lol: youre aware the Pegs handpicked Rex too right? :lol:

man, some Neanderthal chick musta broke your heart something awful back in the day. they are your go-to subspecies when you disagree with someone.

all else is well-said, but you gotta stop the neanderthal-shaming. they just wanted to be loved like everyone else.

:lol: :lol:

Good sht here. Them neanderthal chicks are ruthless :lol:

I like the analogy of taking a house down to its studs. I don't agree with every move that has been made, but they know what they are trying to build and who the key building pieces are.

I like it when he said if you don't manage the culture, you're going to get weeds. Thanks to McBeene for pulling the weeds out so far and sending them out of town, the landscape looks much better. :)

How does this "up to the standard" BS apply to getting rid of Watkins? Or J Williams for that matter.

IMHO the Sammy trade is going to make the Bills look stupid for the nest 5-10 years.

Oh, some of the really great trades that the Bills have pulled off live in infamy far longer than 5-10 years. Trading future Pro Bowl QB Darryl Lamonica for a has-been QB and even more of a has-been WR back in the 1960s was the all-time great. In this century, trading away All Pro LT Jason Peters for a late first rounder in 2009 has only been topped by the Bills trading away All Pro RB Marshawn Lynch for a fourth rounder. Trading Sammy for a second and player still has a ways to go before it reaches the level of those three trade disasters.

I think it might outrank the Bills' trading their 2004 2nd and 5th rounders plus their 2005 first rounder for the great opportunity of drafting JP Losman when they could have drafted the much more serviceable starting QB Matt Schaub with that 2nd or waited a year to use that first rounder on Aaron Rodgers.

They have plenty of cap next year. Over $35 million. Not counting players such as Shady, Kyle, and Tyrod possibly coming off the books who else are they paying significantly besides Dareus?

Assuming their plan is to draft a QB they won't have to pay him or pretty much anyone for another 5 years.

The idea of the Bills being worried about their future cap is ludicrous. They just didn't want to pay Watkins his salary this season.

Never doubt that the Bills won't draft a QB in the first round in 2018, no matter where they pick or how crappy the QB draft class is ... and rest assured that unnamed rookie QB will start sooner rather than later. It's simply a reprise of 2013 because after this season, the Bills will need to excite fans again to put butts in the seats.

They don't want to spend that much on the WR position. It's not about available cap, it's about how they want to allocate the cap space.

Yep. WRs are irrelevant to winning football games in the 21st century ... and the Bills are going to prove it. //sarcasm off

You shouldn't insult your people like that, Mr Caveman.

Kelly was one of the biggest douchebags in the history of professional sports. He'd probably agree.

Anyone who ever was in a bar when Andre Reed walked in knows Reed would have given Jim a run for his money in the douchebag department.

Levy was able to control them by proxy(IE: players policeing themselves like Rex did) just enough to carry on pretty well on field.

I like it when he said if you don't manage the culture, you're going to get weeds. Thanks to McBeene for pulling the weeds out so far and sending them out of town, the landscape looks much better. :)

There is absolutely no proof or reports that any of the young good talent the Bills have dumped had any kind of attitude or behavior issues.

This is just more McCliche coach speak.

Absolutely just the opposite of the players they continue to keep on roster like Hughes and Dareus. (I know Dareus is uncuttable due to salary cap and I do not want to see either cut) Just saying.

That was a good read. Thanks for sharing. I particularly liked this quote -

“We’re new, and we’re adding to the roster, and taking away from the roster,” McDermott said. “It’s a little more of a constant, constant, constant focus on the standard. Because if you don’t, that culture’s gonna grow up around you in the form of weeds. If you don’t manage the culture, develop the culture on a daily basis, it’s going to grow around you whether you like it or not"

That was my favorite part of the article.

I don't know how good of coach McD is. But he's done nothing since he's been here so far to make me doubt him. I like the way this guy talks and I'm glad he's not afraid of bold action.

Excellent post. We'll see the term plus from this regime. Bank on it.

And excellent read, OP.

Unlike what the Browns are doing the Bills took back good players in Matthews and Gaines. Matthews and Gaines are undoubtedly less talented than Watkins and Darby. However due to health and fit in system Matthews and Gaines have a chance to be more productive than Watkins and Darby. It is a calculated risk the trades and decisions they made but a series moves designed not to be worse this upcoming season but to rather stay competitive (and even possibly be slightly better) and get a series of draft choices in 2018 and beyond.

Ragland might not have ever been a fit for the system so avoiding the sunken cost fallacy to get value for a player who is both coming off injury and might not have been a fit for the system anyway is a smart move. The Jones move was good, even a late round pick is good for a player that would have been cut most likely. The only puzzling moves that I think were a bit foolish were Seymour (who I thought could have been a productive nickle corner) and cutting J.Williams (Not a major move but thought he could be a good backup RB.)

Overall I think the design of these trades and off-season moves aren't designed to punt away the season and make future moves. The trades are designed to make the team as competitive but have a boat load of future picks. The design of the trade might not work out but the intentions of the moves do matter.

Aside from portions of our rabid fanbase, most NFL evaluators who are paid to give their opinions and many others understand the logic of the Sammy trade due to his injury history, salary cap implications cost vs benefit analysis. Reasonable people can agree to disagree with the decision but from a rational perspective it was completely justified.

The Bills are highly unlikely to make the playoffs even if Sammy had a huge year.

Sammy was unlikely to return to Buffalo (with a new QB probably on the horizon in 2018, and given his strainged relationship with the organization).

I believe Sammy has top talent but the Bills got something, when after this season, they may get nothing. I support the move and only time will tell if it was the right one.