One thing I've noticed is Kyle rarely talk now. Could it be

Cherrybone

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is where McDermott will change the thinking. You don't overpay aging players for "loyalty." This is the NFL. You give loyalty because the team gives you millions of dollars every year. We shouldn't need to rely on feel good stories like Fred Jackson to carry us through the season, smart cap management and firm negotiations will lead to wins.

That's not true. See Bad Santa.

It's all about the money. And you are correct - we don't know schit about these players. Furthermore, these players don't give a schit about anything other than their bank accounts. And that's okay by me.

That's why it's imperative to have the right leadership, and the right leadership in as many positional groups as possible, because you are right , most guys just want that $$, could care less about W's.

Leadership has been a key cog in the Patriots winning ways. McD has established leadership and guys who truly care about winning in almost every positional group.

Offense- Richie,Wood...Taylor.. McCoy,Tolbert

Defense- Kyle.. Lorax.. Hughes..Hyde

Feel like these guys truly want that W on Sunday and this has a ripple effect.

As is the added incentives to Shady's contract

I can actually see the sense behind the incentives. Shady is probably not thrilled by what's happened on the team this summer. He may lose interest when the team starts losing games especially if they put in the rook QB. He'll be more concerned about protecting his body than gaining yardage. The Mc D says he's going to ride Shady like a pack mule. Better throw him some incentives to be productive. If Sahdys contract wasn't prohibitive I think he'd likely have been traded already. I love Shady , but he's not been shy about expressing his love for his contract.

That's why it's imperative to have the right leadership, and the right leadership in as many positional groups as possible, because you are right , most guys just want that $$, could care less about W's.

Leadership has been a key cog in the Patriots winning ways. McD has established leadership and guys who truly care about winning in almost every positional group.

Offense- Richie,Wood...Taylor.. McCoy,Tolbert

Defense- Kyle.. Lorax.. Hughes..Hyde

Feel like these guys truly want that W on Sunday and this has a ripple effect.

I think this is kind of overblown . The Pats win, therefore they have great leadership and " culture". It's easier to get all kinds of guys to buy in when they know they'll be winning games.

So why did they pay Wood?

I think they overpaid Wood by about $1.5 million per year. It is still pretty average money for a center and his leadership/character is exactly what McDermott wants. Wood came out and said he loves the new regime and the direction they're heading. He was playing well last year before the injury and he's 3 years younger than Kyle. That's a long time in NFL years, basically as long as his extension is.

He's getting the largest pay check of his career this season; of course he's standing pat. He'll gut it out for one more and retire. Kyle's a character guy, he'll give his all and earn it. I doubt there's much out there on the open market. If he has a productive and healthy season, the Bills "might" ask him back for one more, but I don;t see them offering more than a couple mil. . If the Bills aren't winning, my bet is he retires.

After Rex was fired there was a short interview with Kyle Williams where he said he wasn't sure if he'd be coming back, he specifically mentioned that if Tyrod wasn't coming back he wasn't sure he'd want to. It was a while ago so I doubt I'll find a link but I rememember it clearly.

Yes it was before coaching staff was established and he had not had discussions with them to know their plans for him. Do you "rememember" that?

Kyle was likely mulling retirement but stuck around to get one last payout. I get it. He's still a leader in the locker room and I hope he still contributes a lot on the field this year.

...probably correct......as a 35 year old UFA in 2018, I'm sure his "look/see" visits league wide don't amount to much more than vet minimum with incentives...or maybe Boldin type money at $2.75 mil...just sucks that as a 5th round gem, the kid never sniffed the playoffs at OBD...........yet........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

It's a business. Teams and Players treat it that way.

Partially. He just used his contract contract as leverage.

He basically said, "If you're going to keep me around for another tear down and rebuild, you WILL compensate me...generously".

As people are fond of saying during the Great Whaley Purge of 2017, "the new regime has no obligation of loyalty to player X..so who cares"

Well, KW has no obligation of loyalty to them.

They asked him to restructure and he told them to FO.

IF he gets a good offer from a contender next year, I see him going.

And I'll be happy for him.

Partially. He just used his contract contract as leverage.

He basically said, "If you're going to keep me around for another tear down and rebuild, you WILL compensate me...generously".

As people are fond of saying during the Great Whaley Purge of 2017, "the new regime has no obligation of loyalty to player X..so who cares"

Well, KW has no obligation of loyalty to them.

They asked him to restructure and he told them to FO.

IF he gets a good offer from a contender next year, I see him going.

And I'll be happy for him.

A 35 year old DT isn't going to get a good offer from a contender.

...he's making $8.3 mil this year....who comes close next year as a UFA?....

And?

Who's expecting him to get 8 million next year?

If a playoff team offers him 3 or 4, or even less on a one year contract...think he'll take it?

I would.

I didn't have to but I was inspired ridiculousness of it all.

it started with your avatar.

I am beginning to like your chutzpah

A 35 year old DT isn't going to get a good offer from a contender.

nope, this is it for him in my opinion. finishing his career as Bill. Folks should appreciate that.

considering as to be playing for just the money is BS. if they cut his contract and played him, he would have left the game

He said clearly, and I billieve him. If he is not playing for the Bills he will retire.