Anybody miss Whaley yet?

CDogg20

Just adding a little fuel to the fire here. After the moves that have been made recently is there anyone out there that misses DW yet? Been so many head scratcher moves lately I don't know how to feel about the new regime anymore. One day I love em the next I hate em. At least with Whaley we knew he wasn't gonna blindside us and his priority was to win now.

Anyone sick and tired of threads like this? I know I am.

The Bills were mired in mediocrity under Whaley. It remains to be seen where this regime takes the franchise. There have been some questionable moves to say the least with the jettisoning of young players, but let's see what they do with the accumulated draft capital moving forward. A heavy dose of skepticism is warranted at this juncture IMO.

This is exactly how I feel.

Cap Trouble and trading away picks to win now and the best he could do was ,500

EJ and Cardale...

Using a 1,1,2,4,4,4 on Watkins and Ragland...

Horrific contracts...

Moronic press conferences...

Weak drafts...

7 years in major role without playoffs...

No I don't miss Whaley. Does it mean McBeane is any better? No, only time will tell.

You could have pulled a random poster off of this board to handle the drafts and had better outcomes. Nice summary.

No. He is a large reason we have to purge this roster

I understand but I know a lot of people myself included were saying that if we fixed our defense we were playoff caliber. But instead when we're on the cusp we decide to blow it all up...again ala 2005. Time will tell and i'm gonna root for this team no matter what, it's just frustrating.

The Bills were mired in mediocrity under Whaley. It remains to be seen where this regime takes the franchise. There have been some questionable moves to say the least with the jettisoning of young players, but let's see what they do with the accumulated draft capital moving forward. A heavy dose of skepticism is warranted at this juncture IMO.

They've put themselves in a position where they will need to use every one of those picks. No trading three or four away to draft some QB; unless they want to use a team of veteran FA's and undrafted FA's. But then again they said they will build through the draft so they wouldn't trade multiple picks for a QB? Who knows what these jokers will do. Only certain thing is if you were brought in by Whaley your out time is drawing near. Edited by purple haze

I haven't read all of this thread. That is my disclaimer. I think that Whaley assembled a better roster than we have now. I am not sure that's even debatable. The coaching will be a little better so the results will be what they will be. In general though, Whaley has proven better at assembling an NFL roster than Beane. There is a reason that the Steelers loved him. He did a decent job. He just got stuck with Rex.

• Like (+1) 1

I haven't read all of this thread. That is my disclaimer. I think that Whaley assembled a better roster than we have now. I am not sure that's even debatable. The coaching will be a little better so the results will be what they will be. In general though, Whaley has proven better at assembling an NFL roster than Beane. There is a reason that the Steelers loved him. He did a decent job. He just got stuck with Rex.

Whaley had 3 years. Brandon has had 5 months.

Really? He hasn't even had one draft and you are already proclaiming Whaley better at "assembling" a team than Beane?

Sorry kirby, but that is crazy talk. To give a reasonable judgement you'd have to give him at least through 2 drafts and 2 more off seasons.

Whaley put together a roster that would have had 10 or 11 wins last year with any other coach besides Rex calling the defense. I had no problem with Rex as HC. I have no issue with his game management.

It is his antiquated defense that ruined everything. All he had to do was keep Schwartz and they are a playoff team.

So time will tell with Beane and McDermott. If McDermott passed on Mahomes and he turns out to be great then he needs to own it. That said I loved the trade down and the pick of White. Had he taken Kizer in the second round it would have been a great draft. So far Jones looks great but Dawkins looks terrible. The rest are backups, mostly undersized, and probably are gone in 2-3 years.

Whaley put together a roster that would have had 10 or 11 wins last year with any other coach besides Rex calling the defense. I had no problem with Rex as HC. I have no issue with his game management.

It is his antiquated defense that ruined everything. All he had to do was keep Schwartz and they are a playoff team.

So time will tell with Beane and McDermott. If McDermott passed on Mahomes and he turns out to be great then he needs to own it. That said I loved the trade down and the pick of White. Had he taken Kizer in the second round it would have been a great draft. So far Jones looks great but Dawkins looks terrible. The rest are backups, mostly undersized, and probably are gone in 2-3 years.

Thats the problem though - 10 or 11 wins MAYBE with his roster. Would you rather be like the Bengals, who cant win a playoff game to save their lives? Or would you rather build the right way and win some games in January?

Whaley had 3 years. Brandon has had 5 months.

That's true. I am 36; that is true too. It's not relevant either but it's true.

Really? He hasn't even had one draft and you are already proclaiming Whaley better at "assembling" a team than Beane?

Sorry kirby, but that is crazy talk. To give a reasonable judgement you'd have to give him at least through 2 drafts and 2 more off seasons.

I do? I didn't know those were the rules? FWIW, I loved the way that they manipulated the draft and the talent that they acquired early. I'm not sure, outside of Peterman, that the mid to late rounds were good. In general I think that they did poorly in FA. Hyde can play but in general the guys that were added are not good. Obviously it's early but so far they have done a bad job assembling the roster. They are in a rebuilding period and have the 3rd oldest team in football. That's stupid.

Honest question for those that are happy, what that has been done has impressed you? What gives you so much confidence?the overwhelming majority of the moves have been headscratching at best.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I never thought he was a bad gm. He had his issues. The B news did thier best to blow up his issues which didn;t help. He never really got the chance to run the organization. He has an eye for talent for sure, he overpayed for Sammy and never got a qb. Which allows to move on from him if you wanted.

Let me say the pose season press conference was a mess but I am not sure how much of the mess was his. A lot of stuff went on and he may have not been in the loop . is that his fault? Whaley deserved better in my book, but like I said when you miss on the qb you are at peril

I like the new structure. Can these guys pick players and put together a roster only time will tell.

I thought Whaley did well in getting talent for his coaches, the problem is we changed schemes every year or two, and had some bad injury luck. (And also the coaches sucked)

Pretty much my feelings.

Fwiw, I am really close with Kevin Colbert's family and they think the world of him. The Steelers have been a mode franchise.