Hurricane Irma General: Potential NFL Impacts (Updated!)

Charlotte likely sees challenges even if not extreme damages. You start getting into evacuating people from nearby locations and suddenly football creating traffic, eating up hotel rooms, filling flights, and so on can become something you just take out of the equation.

Correct its not just about where it hits. It is all the surrounding areas too.

I do not take this lightly, a Cat 5 storm this far out still sheds bad news. And it has an "I" name which history has shown us is never a good sign. A few tracks have it coming as far inland as Atlanta.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or Thursday....

NFL considers moving Miami Dolphins-Tampa Bay Bucs opener due to Hurricane Irma

http://www.syracuse.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/09/nfl_considers_moving_miami_dolphins-tampa_bay_bucs_opener_due_to_hurrican_irma.html

That does make sense because MIA will start seeing the rain and wind early Sunday Morning, even if it stays off the coast and shoots the gap between MIA and Cuba

Its not coming this way. Ive been here for 30 years and 4 major hurricanes, and this ones not coming this way. The tract is way off.

This Hurricane is bad news, reminds me of something that happened to me one time long time ago when I was out at sea.

Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte, just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen-footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, Chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know... was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent.

They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. Y'know, it's... kinda like ol' squares in a battle like, uh, you see in a calendar, like the Battle of Waterloo, and the idea was, shark comes to the nearest man and that man, he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin', and sometimes the shark'd go away... sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. Y'know the thing about a shark, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'... until he bites ya. And those black eyes roll over white, and then... oh, then you hear that terrible high-pitch screamin', the ocean turns red, and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin', they all come in and they... rip you to pieces.

Y'know, by the end of that first dawn... lost a hundred men. I dunno how many sharks. Maybe a thousand. I dunno how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin', Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland- baseball player, boatswain's mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up... bobbed up and down in the water just like a kinda top. Upended. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. Young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper. Anyway, he saw us and come in low and three hours later, a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. Y'know, that was the time I was most frightened, waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a life jacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water, three hundred sixteen men come out, and the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945

This Hurricane is bad news, reminds me of something that happened to me one time long time ago when I was out at sea.

Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte, just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen-footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, Chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know... was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent.

They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. Y'know, it's... kinda like ol' squares in a battle like, uh, you see in a calendar, like the Battle of Waterloo, and the idea was, shark comes to the nearest man and that man, he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin', and sometimes the shark'd go away... sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. Y'know the thing about a shark, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'... until he bites ya. And those black eyes roll over white, and then... oh, then you hear that terrible high-pitch screamin', the ocean turns red, and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin', they all come in and they... rip you to pieces.

Y'know, by the end of that first dawn... lost a hundred men. I dunno how many sharks. Maybe a thousand. I dunno how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin', Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland- baseball player, boatswain's mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up... bobbed up and down in the water just like a kinda top. Upended. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. Young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper. Anyway, he saw us and come in low and three hours later, a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. Y'know, that was the time I was most frightened, waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a life jacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water, three hundred sixteen men come out, and the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945

Wow...Just Wow

Irma does look to be bad. I live in PR which is scheduled to get rocked tomorrow afternoon - Thursday afternoon. State of emergency already declared. Power authority says power could be out for weeks/months!!!

I evacuated to south florida for the week. And then ditching South Florida on Friday to come up to the home opener. I am one step ahead of this one. However, I am nervous for my house/possessions and friends down there. I'll provide the local PR update after I hear what damage has been done.

Irma does look to be bad. I live in PR which is scheduled to get rocked tomorrow afternoon - Thursday afternoon. State of emergency already declared. Power authority says power could be out for weeks/months!!!

I evacuated to south florida for the week. And then ditching South Florida on Friday to come up to the home opener. I am one step ahead of this one. However, I am nervous for my house/possessions and friends down there. I'll provide the local PR update after I hear what damage has been done.

Good luck, man.

clearly you've never seen me predict the winter... And all indications point to the north having a pretty rough one and down here down south it being very bad

Two years ago you said it was going to be one of the worst winters ever in the Northeast & it was the mildest winter I could ever remember. I golfed 2 rounds in January.

Expecting nearly 80 mph winds for kickoff Sunday if they don't move it makes me want them to play sunday

Two years ago you said it was going to be one of the worst winters ever in the Northeast & it was the mildest winter I could ever remember. I golfed 2 rounds in January.

what part of the northeast? Haha. Can't be right every time.

Expecting nearly 80 mph winds for kickoff Sunday if they don't move it makes me want them to play sunday

what part of the northeast? Haha. Can't be right every time.

If that is the case I am going to bet my mortgage on the under. Easy money.

I don't see how they can move this game up - it's Tuesday already and there is so much going on in the NFL as the season starts and so much going on in south Florida as people start preparing for what could be a very bad storm.

Moving the game to the bye week isn't a great option, but it certainly is the easiest logistically - I'd be surprised if that wasn't the option they chose. Amazing that both teams had the same bye week and that this was even an option - I don't see how the league overlooks that great bit of fortune.

This storm is strong, but she cant go down with three barrels. Not with three she can't!

I've been wanting to clean the bottom of my boat anyway, so Ill be taking it out of the water on Friday. But ONLY because I want to clean it. No other reasons.

Edited by Captain_Quint

This storm is strong, but she cant go down with three barrels. Not with three she can't!

I've been wanting to clean the bottom of my boat anyway, so Ill be taking it out of the water on Friday. But ONLY because I want to clean it. No other reasons.

I will take your word for it sir. You have been around these waters a lot longer than anybody else on this board.

Best thing MIA-TB can do is to play it off site. Possibly, like the Bills did with Detroit on Monday night in 2014. Right now the most important things for people to do in South Florida, is to prepare for this storm, not for a football game. The NFL should have already made a decision. Back during "Snowvember" they were still trying to get people to dig out the stadium while people were stuck in their cars until the local leaders shamed them into moving it. Just shows what the NFL is really concerned about.

we delivered the bomb

how about $3.50?

Tree Fiddy? I ain't giving no tree fiddy you god damn Loch Ness monster! Get your own god damn money! (I gave him a dollar) She gives him a dollar! (I thought he'd go away if I gave him a dollar) Well of course he's not gonna go away now - you gave him a dollar he's gonna assume you got more!

/South Park Reference

Source: Due to looming Hurricane Irma, #Dolphins home game vs #Bucs, originally scheduled for Sunday will not be played in Miami on Sunday

Options for #Bucs-#Dolphins: playing the game this Sunday at a neutral site or in Miami later this season. Update coming as soon as possible

If Bucs-Fins moves to Week 11, both teams will play 16 straight games with no break. Miami will play one of them in London. #playersafety