is jonathan williams next? - update: now cut

ronnieroscoe

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This did make me wonder though - what DID they ask him to do?

I ask b/c if he didn't contribute on special teams, did they ever ask him to play special teams??

If not, whose fault is it he didn't?

Did he play ST, and he was just bad at it?

oh that was total bs from him.

something aint smelling quite right there.

you have a great point

And anyone with a clue knows Shady missed the biggest home game of the year.....the NE game........and was too hurt to play the week before in Miami and had to be pulled after a woeful performance due to hamstring pain that knocked him out of the game the week before.

He basically missed two of the of the 3 or 4 most important games on the entire schedule.

Losing both of those killed their tie breakers and flipped their position with Miami.

But MG played well in both.......just too bad the superstar wasn't available. :thumbsup:

He's a year older so it's probably safe to roll with a less secure net now though. :flirt:

Gilislee did nothing in that Miami game.

Because they let MIke G. Walk!?

Because they didn't resign Gilmore!?

Because they traded the always injured Sammy!?

Because they traded Darby who is coming off a down year!?

Because Boldin signed then retired!?

Because they kept Vlad!?

Each move by itself isn't an indication of a tank but all of those combined is getting harder and harder to make sense of.

Here's how I see it -

-they didn't want to pay their backup RB $4M this year, and devote $12M in cap space to their top 2 RBs. They took the 5th round pick and turned it into Nate Peterman. I'm good with that.

Was that truly a McDermott move anyway, putting the original round tender on MG? Whaley did the same thing with Hogan the year before (original round tender) and chose not to match the offer.

- McDermott doesn't need a $13M man cover CB in his zone (cover 3) scheme. Plus the Bills only had $19M in cap space at the time with 26 players to sign. Oh, and Whaley had 2 years to sign Gilmore and didn't. It was reported long before McD was hired that Whaley wasn't willing to pay more than $11.5M to Gilmore.

- Sammy was injured a lot, that's true. And he said he was looking to change the pay structure of the NFL with his new contract. So they chose to move on and get assets in return.

- Darby was coming off a down year, true again, and he was struggling in the zone scheme. It takes more thinking to play zone, where as in man all you do is cover your guy. A lot of times man cover CB's aren't good in zone and vise versa. I think that was the case here.

- they did sign Boldin. They were trying to bolster the WR position. They had no control over him choosing to retire. Can't call that a tank move...

- keeping Vlad is a bit of a head scratcher. He sucks, it he does know this scheme pretty well. As of now he is just a backup though, and we've had backup OL of his caliber before. Many teams have sucky backup OL men.

Edited by BillsFan4

Well a whole bunch of teams must be stupid too, since JW cleared waivers.

I don't think that's the point. No one is denying running backs are a buyers market, and no one thinks JW is a hidden superstar. But he is a young player with promise on a very inexpensive contract. And he was cut to retain older players who seemed to perform no better or worse. Alone that wouldn't be a big deal, but it comes after a string of decisions where the Bills dumped talent for questionable compensation. There are reasons they traded their best corner and receiver for inferior replacements. There are reasons why they dumped last year's second round draft pick who was just recovering from a knee injury. There are reasons why they traded a corner who had once shown promise for a receiver on his fifth team without a single regular season catch. And there are reasons they dumped Williams - I believe special teams is the operative spin. But for all the reasons, the "process" seems to be dumping players in a firesale, with players from the former regime having a big bullseye on their back.

Edited by grb

-they didn't want to pay their backup RB $4M this year, and devote $12M in cap space to their top 2 RBs. Was that truly a McDermott move, putting the original round tender on MG? Whaley did the same thing with Hogan the year before (original round tender) and chose not to match the offer.

- McDermott doesn't need a $13M man cover CB in his zone (cover 3) scheme. Plus the Bills only had $19M in cap space at the time with 26 players to sign. Oh, and Whaley had 2 years to sign Gilmore and didn't. It was reported long before McD was hired that Whaley wasn't willing to pay more than $11.5M to Gilmore.

- Sammy was injured a lot, that's true. And he said he was looking to change the pay structure of the. FL with his new contract. So they chose to move on and get assets in return.

- Darby was coming off a down year, true again, and he was struggling in the zone scheme. It takes more thinking to play zone, where as in man all you do is cover your guy. A lot of times man cover CB's aren't good in zone and vise versa. I think that was the case here.

- they did sign Boldin. They were trying to bolster the WR position. They had no control over him choosing to retire. Can't call that a tank move...

- keeping Vlad is a bit of a head scratcher. He sucks, it he does know this scheme pretty well. As of now he is just a backup though, and we've had backup OL of his caliber before. Many teams have sucky backup OL men.

Just about says it all.

I don't think MG was Whaley's call.. don't think he made any calls after that press conference.

Just about says it all.

I don't think MG was Whaley's call.. don't think he made any calls after that press conference.

You could very well be right. I honestly don't know. None of us do... But it does fit Whaley's MO.

If it was all McD, I think at the very least he was relying on Whaley's input. He was only here a couple months at that time and hadn't coached any of these players yet (or even met them in some cases). I would guess that Whaley was pretty confident that J. Williams could replace Gillislee, or that he could draft another 5th round RB with the pick from MG to replace him.

Again, I have no clue though. I am just speculating.

I don't think that's the point. No one is denying running backs are a buyers market, and no one thinks JW is a hidden superstar. But he is a young player with promise on a very inexpensive contract. And he was cut to retain older players who seemed to perform no better or worse. Alone that wouldn't be a big deal, but it comes after a string of decisions where the Bills dumped talent for questionable compensation. There are reasons they traded their best corner and receiver for inferior replacements. There are reasons why they dumped last year's second round draft pick who was just recovering from a knee injury. There are reasons why they traded a corner who had once shown promise for a receiver on his fifth team without a single regular season catch. And there are reasons they dumped Williams - I believe special teams is the operative spin. But for all the reasons, the "process" seems to be dumping players in a firesale, with players from the former regime having a big bullseye on their back.

this is a fair summation.

But I have to think Pegulas on down knew this was going to be the method.

just gotta roll with it anyways.

submit submit submit /jk

Gilislee did nothing in that Miami game.

More like that wasn't one of Anthony Lynn's better days.

McCoy was horrible....8 carries for 11 yards :sick: ......and should have never been out there.......then MG was put in and had like 32 yards on 3 carries but Lynn called a reverse or some sh*t in the shadow of their goal post late in the game and MG ended up losing 12 yards. :doh:

But even with that....... in those 3 games where McCoy was affected MG still ran for 165 yards on 23 carries with 2 TD's........an average of over 7.2 yards per carry.

Dude was purdy good. :thumbsup:

Hopefully.

Even though from my view he's an average backup RB, he is familiar with the system and I believe if given the opportunity he'd do decent.

If nothing else, he needed a wake-up call like the rest of Whaley's draft picks did. No more automatically making rosters like EJ & Kujo and hoping one day they'll pan out. Maybe he'll learn from it.