Republican Tax Plan (a nothingburger with cheese)

Tiberius

1 hour ago, Logic said:

So far, some of the things in the bill that seem, Oh, I don't know, what's the word? Ridiculous (I saw this posted elsewhere and had to dig through the herculean bill itself to find them, but alas). The tax bill:

has an abortion law reclassifying life at conception, has a clause to drill oil in Alaska’s arctic wildlife preserve, and pulled the mandate for the ACA.

So, yeah...Not sure what place any of that has in a TAX BILL.

We'll actually get to see if the individual mandate was even necessary in the first place as Obama argued it wasn't in the '08 primaries and attacked Hillary and Edwards for suggesting it.  He flip flopped on that so I won't shed a huge tear over them getting rid of the individual mandate.

My biggest problem with the bill throughout was not being able to deduct state and local taxes along with property taxes.  I guess they're going to allow up to $10,000 on property taxes now (hopefully they'll keep that in) which is great news, but I'll still be paying more than last year.  A $250.00 maximum write off for teaching supplies was also added in which also helps us.  Public outrage does help after all.

I think when the tax bill doesn't invigorate the economy like some are anticipating you're going to see cuts to medicare and medicaid unfortunately.  However, if you're a Republican you should be happy right now.  Unless you live in a blue state and just happen to be in the position financially where you'll have to pay more.

Edited by Doc Brown

4 hours ago, Logic said:

So far, some of the things in the bill that seem, Oh, I don't know, what's the word? Ridiculous (I saw this posted elsewhere and had to dig through the herculean bill itself to find them, but alas). The tax bill:

has an abortion law reclassifying life at conception, has a clause to drill oil in Alaska’s arctic wildlife preserve, and pulled the mandate for the ACA.

So, yeah...Not sure what place any of that has in a TAX BILL.

To regulate, enforce, and legislate is to tax.  When you put the funding for something into the hands of Congress you accept this as the cost of doing business.  Democrats tend to forget that when they expend the purview of the regulatory state they aren't not always going to have control over the regulatory state and the things they do are not undoable.

the sooner they learn this lesson the better, but I'm not hopeful.

Tax cuts are just hard for the Left to comprehend. They want so badly to take your money and spread it around.

Pat Sajak has a fantastic reminder for anyone who is concerned about the government not being able to stay afloat.

Reminder to all: tax rates are merely legal minimums. You are free to send as much as you’d like.

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Summers drew on studies from the Urban Institute and the Chan School of Public Health and used a more conservative estimate of 10 million dropping coverage. The studies estimated that one person in a range of 176 to 830 people die when they lose health coverage.

"Dropping" and "losing" are not the same thing.  Not forcing someone to do something is not taking it away.  :wallbash:

At times, Republicans sound as though they are writing Democrats’ campaign ads for them. Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) made his in-kind contribution last week. Newsweek reported: “During the tax debate on Thursday evening, [Hatch] commented on the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), saying that it would be funded but that the lack of funds available was problematic for CHIP. … ‘There’s no question about it in my mind. It’s got to be done the right way. But we, the reason CHIP’s having trouble is because we don’t have money anymore,’ ” Hatch said as the Senate was considering a mammoth tax bill that will hemorrhage $1.5 trillion in revenue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/12/04/after-huge-tax-breaks-for-the-rich-theres-not-enough-for-the-sick-and-poor/?utm_term=.c2b9edab9ae3

3 hours ago, DC Tom said:

"Dropping" and "losing" are not the same thing.  Not forcing someone to do something is not taking it away.  :wallbash:

These are the same people whose definition of a 5% increase in Government spending instead of a 10% increase is a Draconian Cut

Or whose definition of lowering a subsidy as denying access

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

what is CNBC and why should anyone care what they have to predict?

CNBC is a network that has guests.

There is no "CNBC prediction."

I saw the Larry Summers spot and Ken Langone's rebut.

Summer's views are his own.

Langone is a Home Depot founder and philanthropist.

British taxation was one of the key reasons for the Revolutionary War. 

It's the people's money, people. 

It's the coercive governments that take it from us. 

The Left won't stop at taxing income, and a VAT won't make income taxes disappear. It'll just be an add-on.

They covet personal wealth and that is key to their thinking and emotions.

One day they will confiscate your IRAs and 401k, etc. and give you Government Bonds in return.

What a country! 

“The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets.” Will Rogers

• Haha (+1) 1

It appears that what will most likely come out of conference will be a bill that will benefit middle income earners who have children, corporations and stock holders.    There most likely will be a somewhat minimal residual wealth effect because of the bill that will trickle into the economy, but nothing out-of-this-world.    

Some high taxed states will see some people be slightly worse off but in regards to the effects on the overall economy, over the next decade it will be a net positive.    In regards to the deficit, it does appear that it will be add a decent little bit, so all-in-all, I believe this tax bill isn't much to write home about.   But it certainly isn't the big panic-hysteria burger that liberals are making it out to be.

THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE ARE GONNA DIE BECAUSE OF IT!!!

Most of those who remain living will likely have some of their taxes reduced. Even the highest earners will probably pay less on the money in the lower brackets.

The "progressive" nature of income taxes means we pay more on each bracketed amount until we reach Liberal Nirvana when all income is taken by the government.

10 minutes ago, Azalin said:

I'm a bit surprised to see that run in the Washington Post. Good for them.

80% of the purge we're seeing go on throughout various institutions is being done behind the scenes. 

Money was cut off. Funding networks shut down. And now, pressure is being brought to bear on internal organizations (cough CIA) to reign in their influence within certain other institutions. 

If the whole thing was being done in plain sight, people would lose their minds. The amount of corruption being dismantled is staggering, too staggering for most to swallow whole.

imo of course. :beer: