Republican Tax Plan (a nothingburger with cheese)

Tiberius

7 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

That's also called a National Sales Tax or Value Added Tax.  The VAT is not a new idea as it has been discussed in the past by libertarians and conservatives but liberal and progressives have shouted it down as regressive

If Progressives want to adopt the idea as one of their own so be it. I would not be opposed to a VAT as a replacement to the income tax.

NO, NO, NO. No value added tax. That means the item is taxed at every stage where the taxes can be hidden. The Fair Tax is the way to go. One tax when the end user purchases the item.

52 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Nothing of tangible use will be accomplished here at all, you are all wasting your time in conjecture.

I work enough in building up and vivisecting these arguments and reports and it goes nowhere.

Someday we will make a difference. Hang in there! 

It takes a lot of nerve for a former deficit hawk to brush away the massive build-up of debt. “House Speaker Paul Ryan has spent much of his political career warning against the pitfalls of deficit spending and government debt. But that argument has been bent in service to another long-held priority, one that has political urgency for Republicans trying to hang on to their congressional majorities: tax cuts. The tax overhaul legislation that Ryan shepherded through the House — the Senate takes up its version this week — would add at least $1 trillion to budget deficits over the next decade, even when accounting for economic growth, according to independent tax analysts.”

On 11/17/2017 at 10:31 AM, row_33 said:

and the working class deeply resents the free ride often doing better than they do financially

A lady with a SNAP card ordering a sub at my local corner shop, while I go home to eat leftovers. :huh:

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

If she has a SNAP card, she probably doesn't have any leftovers at home.

EBT, SnAP , not sure.She could have spent that money on a loaf of bread, some mayo and ham, and had 4 or 5 meals.

Just now, Gary M said:

EBT, SnAP , not sure.She could have spent that money on a loaf of bread, some mayo and ham, and had 4 or 5 meals.

That is true...but poor people are not known for making wise purchasing decisions, which is why they're poor.

32 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Which is why the government should stop giving them other peoples money.

Yup, so the plan is to manipulate people like you into buying into this cut because it will hurt the poor, something you obviously enjoy. Then when the GOP is back to being seriously angry over the budget deficits they created with tax cuts, they can come after middle class programs. Rinse and repeat 

• Like (+1) 1

OOPS: Kamala Harris accidentally proves why Americans SHOULD support GOP Tax Bill

Democrats are working overtime to scare the crap out of Americans about the GOP Tax Bill because it would indeed cut taxes for the middle class. And you know they’re totally FREAKED OUT about the idea of people keeping more of what they earn because to a Democrat the government knows best how to spend our money.

So it comes as no surprise that Kamala Harris is front and center with her fearmongering … there’s just one problem:

By 2019, Americans earning less than $30,000 a year will be worse off under the Senate GOP tax bill… but corporations will still have big, permanent tax cuts.

Americans who earn less than $30,000 a year are likely receiving government benefits, which means people in the middle class (and those evil rich guys) are paying for a good deal of their everyday needs. The progressive tax system is killing the middle class because the rich can figure out loopholes and the poor pay nothing anyway …

Kamala just proved that this bill would help the middle class.

Oh, not to mention when there are permanent tax cuts for corporations they can HIRE MORE PEOPLE, so those making less than $30,000 a year will have more opportunity to find better jobs and make more.

Thanks, Kamala.

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

OOPS: Kamala Harris accidentally proves why Americans SHOULD support GOP Tax Bill

Democrats are working overtime to scare the crap out of Americans about the GOP Tax Bill because it would indeed cut taxes for the middle class. And you know they’re totally FREAKED OUT about the idea of people keeping more of what they earn because to a Democrat the government knows best how to spend our money.

So it comes as no surprise that Kamala Harris is front and center with her fearmongering … there’s just one problem:

Americans who earn less than $30,000 a year are likely receiving government benefits, which means people in the middle class (and those evil rich guys) are paying for a good deal of their everyday needs. The progressive tax system is killing the middle class because the rich can figure out loopholes and the poor pay nothing anyway …

Kamala just proved that this bill would help the middle class.

Oh, not to mention when there are permanent tax cuts for corporations they can HIRE MORE PEOPLE, so those making less than $30,000 a year will have more opportunity to find better jobs and make more.

Thanks, Kamala.

You forget that Democrats think $30k/year is middle class.

Vox’s ‘SCORCHING HOT take’ on Senate GOP tax bill will have you reaching for the booze

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2017/11/28/voxs-scorching-hot-take-on-senate-gop-tax-bill-will-have-you-reaching-for-the-booze/

Maybe the GOP tax bill is a hot mess, but if this is the best ammo the media have against it, Republicans don’t have too much to worry about:

The Senate tax bill would cause *3,100* more alcohol-related deaths over the next two years: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-pol/16600770/alcohol-tax-increase 

More from Vox:

The alcohol industry has been lobbying for such cuts for years. It’s finally getting what it wanted: The Senate proposal would cut federal alcohol excise taxes by 16 percent by effectively reducing taxes across the board for beer, wine, and liquor over the next two years, according to a new analysis by Adam Looney at Brookings.

But economists and public health experts argue this would amount to a public health disaster; alcohol is if anything underpriced, they argue, given the external costs that it already carries.

Old and busted: Republicans want to push grandma off a cliff.

New hotness: Republicans want Americans to drink themselves to death.

Reducing a tax kills people.....Very "Sciencey"

It all comes down to the leftist mindset that the average American can't think for themselves.

20 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Yup, so the plan is to manipulate people like you into buying into this cut because it will hurt the poor, something you obviously enjoy. Then when the GOP is back to being seriously angry over the budget deficits they created with tax cuts, they can come after middle class programs. Rinse and repeat 

The plan doesn't hurt the poor, bad decisions do.

American poor live a pretty good life, cell phones flat screens and internet. It's good they have all these things as it keeps them busy while they sit home doing nothing.

Yes I want them to be a little uncomfortable, so they have some motivation to go find a better life with some personal responsibility.

As I drove to work Monday morning I see the remnants of black Friday sales. All the flat screen TV boxes in front houses I know are welfare houses. Tell me again how this plan is going to hurt the poor.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/06/01/astonishing-numbers-americas-poor-still-live-better-than-most-of-the-rest-of-humanity/#67ec464e54ef

54 minutes ago, Gary M said:

The plan doesn't hurt the poor, bad decisions do.

American poor live a pretty good life, cell phones flat screens and internet. It's good they have all these things as it keeps them busy while they sit home doing nothing.

Yes I want them to be a little uncomfortable, so they have some motivation to go find a better life with some personal responsibility.

As I drove to work Monday morning I see the remnants of black Friday sales. All the flat screen TV boxes in front houses I know are welfare houses. Tell me again how this plan is going to hurt the poor.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/06/01/astonishing-numbers-americas-poor-still-live-better-than-most-of-the-rest-of-humanity/#67ec464e54ef

No, the bill hurts America and the middle class. The people pushing the bill make it seem like it will hurt the poor to get support for it