Why isn't Groy starting at RG

Why can't we end the Miller/Ducasse spectacle and insert Groy at RG. He's better than both these guys combined. I seriously can't watch Duckass get spun like a rotisserie chicken anymore. Hopefully we get Dawkins at RT and our O-Line looks like this

LT - Glenn

LG- Richie

C - Wood
RG -Groy

RT Dawkins

Groy and Wood are communicators and would probably work well in tandem.

Backups -
RG - Miller

OT - Mills

OT Henderson/Waiver pickup --

PS

Ola

Mudge

Cut

Ducasse

Barton

Jefferson

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone care that Groy has never started an NFL game at guard, and save for a few snaps his rookie season in Chicago, hasn't ever played so much as an NFL snap at guard?

Meanwhile, we've got an incumbent that was one of the most improved OLmen in the entire NFL that everyone is seemingly ready to scrap for no good reason.

Scheme-fit is a garbage argument since the team ran zone blocking on over 50% of their run plays last year.

Does anyone care that Groy has never started an NFL game at guard, and save for a few snaps his rookie season in Chicago, hasn't ever played so much as an NFL snap at guard?

Meanwhile, we've got an incumbent that was one of the most improved OLmen in the entire NFL that everyone is seemingly ready to scrap for no good reason.

Scheme-fit is a garbage argument since the team ran zone blocking on over 50% of their run plays last year.

He's started at C. The theory being that if you can play C, you can play OG (but the reverse is not necessarily true).

He's started at C. The theory being that if you can play C, you can play OG (but the reverse is not necessarily true).

I do not subscribe to that theory. Eric Wood was not a very good guard, nor was Doug Legurski (though he filled in just fine at center when he was in Pittsburgh). I also think that Mike Pouncey was not very good at guard when he had to play there.

I do not subscribe to that theory. Eric Wood was not a very good guard, nor was Doug Legurski (though he filled in just fine at center when he was in Pittsburgh). I also think that Mike Pouncey was not very good at guard when he had to play there.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Groy didn't play well at all in the preseason at guard last year....it's coming back to me now.

I remember when he made the team, I was shocked because he was terrible in preseason. Then he filled in at center....pretty good.

I thought Groy would be Wood's replacement next year....well then Wood signed a 2 year extension.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Groy didn't play well at all in the preseason at guard last year....it's coming back to me now.

I remember when he made the team, I was shocked because he was terrible in preseason. Then he filled in at center....pretty good.

I thought Groy would be Wood's replacement next year....well then Wood signed a 2 year extension.

Yep. Lewis was the backup centre in pre-season last year and Groy struggled some at guard. The best right guard we have who is a perfectly adequate NFL starter and had a good 2016 is John Miller. Why they are messing with the kid's head and confidence I have zero idea.

They matched Groy to be a backup center because, as I keep saying, their MO indicates they value center highly as a position and they pay for that.