So who's YOUR starting qb?

Steptide

Which QB  

449 members have voted

1. 1. So who's YOUR starting qb?

1. Peterman is completing 50% of his passes...that is TEBOW-esque.

2. I do LIKE Peterman as a prospect, and the WORST way to develop a kid who isn't ready is to throw him to the wolves. Everyone here who wants him to start either hates the kid or doesn't understand how to develop a QB.

3. We have one of, if not the worst, offensive line in terms of pass protection in football right now. Another reason putting him out there too early could just set the kid back.

I swear, its like the fan base here has had their head in the sand for 17 years. Serious question: HOW MANY TIMES DO THE BILLS NEED TO RUIN THE DEVELOPMENT OF A YOUNG QB BEFORE YOU PEOPLE REALIZE ITS THE WRONG WAY TO DO IT?

Putting a young QB out there who isn't quite ready behind a bad offensive line is a TERRIBLE...and I mean TERRIBLE tactic to develop him. There is NO REASON to start him over Taylor, not one. It changes nothing for us.

And most important, Taylor has already been named the starter Week 1, so this poll is a dead thread and completely pointless. I do think that if Taylor and the offense continue to struggle into the season, that Peterman WILL and SHOULD get a chance to take over and showcase what he may or may not be the rest of the season. HOWEVER, there is ZERO chance that is week 1. Not guessing, but literal ZERO chance as McD already stated with a shadow of a doubt that TT is the starter entering the regular season.

With all due respect Alpha, but doesn't it tell you something when a rookie appears to execute a newly installed O better then experienced QB 's that have been in the league for years?

When Nathan Petermam walked off the field last night the BIlls were ahead having scored the only TD drive by the ones throughout the the playoffs against one of the best D's in the league. (IMO)

Edited by Figster

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Peterman is completing 50% of his passes...that is TEBOW-esque.

2. I do LIKE Peterman as a prospect, and the WORST way to develop a kid who isn't ready is to throw him to the wolves. Everyone here who wants him to start either hates the kid or doesn't understand how to develop a QB.

3. We have one of, if not the worst, offensive line in terms of pass protection in football right now. Another reason putting him out there too early could just set the kid back.

I swear, its like the fan base here has had their head in the sand for 17 years. Serious question: HOW MANY TIMES DO THE BILLS NEED TO RUIN THE DEVELOPMENT OF A YOUNG QB BEFORE YOU PEOPLE REALIZE ITS THE WRONG WAY TO DO IT?

Putting a young QB out there who isn't quite ready behind a bad offensive line is a TERRIBLE...and I mean TERRIBLE tactic to develop him. There is NO REASON to start him over Taylor, not one. It changes nothing for us.

And most important, Taylor has already been named the starter Week 1, so this poll is a dead thread and completely pointless. I do think that if Taylor and the offense continue to struggle into the season, that Peterman WILL and SHOULD get a chance to take over and showcase what he may or may not be the rest of the season. HOWEVER, there is ZERO chance that is week 1. Not guessing, but literal ZERO chance as McD already stated with a shadow of a doubt that TT is the starter entering the regular season.

To the bold: I'm not really worried about "ruining" Peterman by playing him this year. I'll be concerned with the development path of the new QB we pick in 2018 though.

Before either of your read my replies, remember I definitely LIKE this kid Peterman, I am only talking about this kids readiness.

Yeah a lot of drops and penalties ,in there. Killing yds and completions . Get real He looks alot better than T.T. in this O.

Penalties do not affect completion %...through 3 games, mostly against scrubs, he is completing 50% of his passes. A couple passes were dropped, that still has him in the low 50's...but all QB's experience drops, and they still complete over 60% of their passes. So this isn't an excuse.

With all due respect Alpha, but doesn't it tell you something when a rookie appears to execute a newly installed O better then experienced QB 's that have been in the league for years?

When Nathan Petermam walked off the field last night the BIlls were ahead having scored the only TD drive by the ones throughout the the playoffs against one of the best D's in the league. (IMO)

With all due respect Figster, TT looked good Preseason game 1, before the FO stripped him of his best weapon. Then he struggled preseason 2, and barely played in preseason 3. Plus, TT has proven in live NFL games that he can produce, over exaggerating ONE preseason game and 3 pass attempts in another doesn't erase 2 years of pretty productive football, 2 Pro Bowl invites, the 5th highest scoring season in Bills history (likely at least 3rd if he doesn't sit last game of season last year), or how dangerous he is with his legs.

TT is stil figuring out his weapons and a new offense. So even if you make the case the offense may fit Peterman better, thats actually more of a reason to be patient with TT because he is having to adjust to a different type of offense.

But...this is not about TT, this about Peterman. The absolute WORST way to develop any young QB is to throw him into a situation that is difficult for him to succeed. He is not ready, like most rookie QB's are not ready coming into the league, and this OL is one of the worst pass blocking units I have ever seen, literally. And there is literally NO REASON to start Peterman, it literally changes nothing for the Bills this year. The absolute best play is to let TT start, ride him out good or bad, and let the kid keep learning before making a change during this season if TT struggles. There is a reason that NFL coaches would rather have a young QB sit at least a season before they play, because it creates a higher probability of success.

Based on a handful of preseason reps?!? We are all prisoners of the moment. It truly is amazing how short our memories are.

Really? Tyrod was never a good QB regardless of what his "stats" said.

Oh and the only reason I believe TT will start week #1 is because McD doesn't have the balls to pull the trigger and start the "rookie"

If he starts TT and he is bad it's on TT whereas if he starts NP and he is bad then it's on McD.

Making scared decisions already based on what makes him look good or bad, they can't tell me with a straight face that TT is a better QB today than is NP.

What's sad about that is one is a 7 year vet and one is a true rookie and it's people like you who can't fathom the thought of a true rookie being better than a 7 year vet which in turn, turns into a pissing contest about being right vs being wrong. Some people can't ever admit or handle being wrong about anything.

To the bold: I'm not really worried about "ruining" Peterman by playing him this year. I'll be concerned with the development path of the new QB we pick in 2018 though.

Why though? Brady was a 6th rounder...Warner was undrafted...Jason Peters was undrafted TE.

This obsession over where a player was found by this board never ceases to amaze me. This board always OVER VALUES draft picks over talent...then when we use those draft picks on players, everyone wants to write them off if they don't like the exact spot where they were drafted.

Not yelling, caps to emphasize: ONCE YOU ARE ON A ROSTER, HOW YOU GOT THERE HAS ZERO RELEVANCE...PERIOD. I am soooo tired of people disregarding players because they hate where they were taken in the draft.

Dak was a 3rd, Russel was a 3rd, Carr was a 2nd, Brady was a 6th, Cousins was a 4th, Brees was a 2nd, Warner wasn't drafted, and so on and so on. The draft isn't until after the season, we already have Peterman a guy who was projected to go in the 2nd-4th round going into the draft. So why just say "who cares, let him get ruined because we will just draft another one next year" and see if we might have found a gem like its happened so many times before?

I mean this logic is aggravating and baffling to me. Nothing would be better than to see a QB on this roster cease the job for the future so we can use the bounty of picks building this team. Even if you don't think it will happen, it still could. The staff has repeatedly said they like this kid...he is not ready today, but man he has shown some real potential, and to disregard and throw in the towel on him is stupid.

Before either of your read my replies, remember I definitely LIKE this kid Peterman, I am only talking about this kids readiness.

Penalties do not affect completion %...through 3 games, mostly against scrubs, he is completing 50% of his passes. A couple passes were dropped, that still has him in the low 50's...but all QB's experience drops, and they still complete over 60% of their passes. So this isn't an excuse.

With all due respect Figster, TT looked good Preseason game 1, before the FO stripped him of his best weapon. Then he struggled preseason 2, and barely played in preseason 3. Plus, TT has proven in live NFL games that he can produce, over exaggerating ONE preseason game and 3 pass attempts in another doesn't erase 2 years of pretty productive football, 2 Pro Bowl invites, the 5th highest scoring season in Bills history (likely at least 3rd if he doesn't sit last game of season last year), or how dangerous he is with his legs.

TT is stil figuring out his weapons and a new offense. So even if you make the case the offense may fit Peterman better, thats actually more of a reason to be patient with TT because he is having to adjust to a different type of offense.

But...this is not about TT, this about Peterman. The absolute WORST way to develop any young QB is to throw him into a situation that is difficult for him to succeed. He is not ready, like most rookie QB's are not ready coming into the league, and this OL is one of the worst pass blocking units I have ever seen, literally. And there is literally NO REASON to start Peterman, it literally changes nothing for the Bills this year. The absolute best play is to let TT start, ride him out good or bad, and let the kid keep learning before making a change during this season if TT struggles. There is a reason that NFL coaches would rather have a young QB sit at least a season before they play, because it creates a higher probability of success.

I get where your coming from, but T T's ceiling is becoming more apparent and the high scoring O from the last two seasons was accomplished mainly by running the football.

If Buffalo drafts a QB in the 1st round next year the window to evaluate Peterman is small in my humble opinion.

I get where your coming from, but T T's ceiling is becoming more apparent and the high scoring O from the last two seasons was accomplished mainly by running the football.

If Buffalo drafts a QB in the 1st round next year the window to evaluate Peterman is small in my humble opinion.

And Taylor was a BIG part of the reason we led the league in rushing, don't forget that. Not only did he heavily contribute to both our leading totals and yards per attempt average, the threat of TT as a runner makes it much harder to defend our entire run game. Without Taylor in there, they are going to stack the box on Peterman and McCoy isnt going to have it too easy and this OL is going to get exposed as over rated in the run block game. This entire run offense heavily benefited from how dangerous TT is with his legs, OL included.

But again, this is about Peterman. Don't you think its better to evaluate Peterman when you have put the kid in a better position for success? Is it really fair to throw a kid to the wolves before he is ready, behind a bad OL and with an entire offensive personnel still learning a brand new playbook?

If you truly want to evaluate Peterman, the best strategy is without question to let him sit, keep learning, let the offense settle into the new OC more, get our OL healthy, etc. I mean our top 2 WRs are a rookie yet to play an NFL snap of meaningful football and a WR who just got here and got hurt on first play in practice. There is literally no reason to play Peterman at a time where everything is working against his development and success.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Sad when a rookie QB with a 50% completion rate, averaging 5.47 YPA with a QB rating of 71 is everyone's savior...just shows how bad Taylor has been

Nobody said savior. In fact, I think Peterman is more along the lines of tank in everyone's minds.

Edited by leonbus23

Agreed

That concussion didn't look to pretty on the replay.

Players need to hold their head up when going down, guess that is the old wrestler in me.

Well whoever is their ultimate #3 needs some time to prove himself and get some game work - I'm mostly assuming it's not Yates.

If TT is any risk at all to not play week 1, they need to have Peterman plus a backup rdy to go.

Unless they bring somebody else in, it's Yates , YIKES! :(

I love how folks are trashing Peterman for 50% passing when its higher that TT this preseason. Thats right TT is less than 50%.

True Story

PASSING STATISTICS

Player Att Comp Yds Comp % Yds/Att TD INT Long Sck

Nathan Peterma 68 34 372 50.0 5.5 1 0 28 3

T.J. Yates 41 23 233 56.1 5.7 1 2 21 4

Tyrod Taylor 29 14 100 48.3 3.4 0 2 15 4

Peterman is the statistical leader on the team

But Yates has a higher completion percentage! :D

Pretty much.

No Hulk Hogan option :(

He plays for Cleveland.

And Taylor was a BIG part of the reason we led the league in rushing, don't forget that. Not only did he heavily contribute to both our leading totals and yards per attempt average, the threat of TT as a runner makes it much harder to defend our entire run game. Without Taylor in there, they are going to stack the box on Peterman and McCoy isnt going to have it too easy and this OL is going to get exposed as over rated in the run block game. This entire run offense heavily benefited from how dangerous TT is with his legs, OL included.

But again, this is about Peterman. Don't you think its better to evaluate Peterman when you have put the kid in a better position for success? Is it really fair to throw a kid to the wolves before he is ready, behind a bad OL and with an entire offensive personnel still learning a brand new playbook?

If you truly want to evaluate Peterman, the best strategy is without question to let him sit, keep learning, let the offense settle into the new OC more, get out OL healthy, etc. I mean our top 2 WRs are a rookie yet to play an NFL snap of meaningful football and a WR who just got here and got hurt on first play in practice. There is literally no reason to play Peterman at a time where everything is working against his development and success.

Again, I understand where your coming from and have been a big supporter of T T from day one. The problem I have is T T's ceiling is known for the most part and Taylor in all likelihood playing his last season in Buffalo.

Peterman is NFL ready and could be the biggest steal of the draft.

Do you honestly think Buffalo will draft a QB in the 1st round next year and not begin his development (starting) immediately?