This will be a tough year for Bills fans and McDermott

gjv001

Give me a break with the fans won't stand for it stuff. Fans are fans and love their team. They get frustrated at times but they love their teams.

And if you only give the GM and HC two years you're just perpetuating the same shortsighted approach that got us in this mess.

EXACTLY!!!

Look, I hate that we aren't in the playoffs and haven't been for years, but at least we're not the Browns. Or Jaguars. Or hell, the Colts with a so-called franchise quarterback.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's just tough. We've waited this long, what's another couple years.

Same could be said last year yet the pitchforks were out in force.

I don't care what y'all say, I can't imagine ANYONE on here tolerating losing every game very long.

It will prove Bill Parcell's right. "A coach that is rebuilding is rebuilding for the see the next coach that comes in."

A Bills fans heart on game day will be saying win. However, winning will be contrary to the strategic

goal of having the best position in the 2018 draft to obtain a franchise QB. Perhaps the same for

McDermott. I'm sure he's aware that to be a great NFL coach you have to have a great QB.

I don't mean to be hard on the rookie...

But do we really need a new thread on the advantage of tanking in order to draft a franchise QB?

This subject has been discussed ad nauseam in other threads.

I think fans are too wired to "just make the playoffs" to actually see the larger picture of trying to build a championship quality roster that's 57 players deep. We were never just 1-2 players short of that.

The salary cap ere ensured that you can no longer build a roster " 57 players deep". You try to build an elite starting lineup (especially starting QB ) and hope not too many guys get hurt.

The salary cap ere ensured that you can no longer build a roster " 57 players deep". You try to build an elite starting lineup (especially starting QB ) and hope not too many guys get hurt.

And then every year if you draft well, you got guys contract running out going for the big pay day.

I don't even see how this kind of plan could work.

Trade away your good guys. Draft new guys. Suck for a couple of years. Then when (if) you start getting good, rookie contracts start to run out and your back to signing guys to plug holes.

The kindof rebuild (tank) being talked about maybe worked in the pre FA era. But you just CAN'T keep everyone you draft now. It's a revolving door. Not just us, every team.

Although it looks like Winston and Mariota are on the rise, if you look at the NFL top 100 players list, here are the QBs that make the top 30 players:

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Matt Ryan

David Carr

Dak Prescott

Drew Brees

Ben Roethlisberger

Russell Wilson

ONE of these QBs was taken in the top 10

But, I still don't think we are tanking... yet.

Sad thing is...how many of the QB's on this list were passed up by the Bills pathetic front office?

Edited by Azucho98

Everyone says tank on this board, when it happens they won't tolerate it and be calling for heads

McBean duo will last two years

Short of 2-3 win seasons, I don't see that at all. Rex was a mistake and a clown. These guys will get some time.

I don't know why anyone would say that Bills fans wouldn't accept a one year "tank". We've been accepting crap for 17 years now. What's one more year with the thought that we will finally invest high draft picks to get the best possible young QB for the future?

WTH is a "one year tank?" investing high draft picks guarantees nothing. In most drafts QB's are a crap shoot. Very doubtful the Bills would end up with a top 3 pick anyways. The 3 teams there may not trade out at any price. Also doubtful McBean would sell the draft pick haul off too move into the 4 slot. The team may suck, but there is no way the new unproven, inexperienced, regime in their new respective jobs could sell El Pegul on a tank. His butt is still hurting from his NHL team huge failure at it.

A lot of experts on here claiming the Bills will be amazing after the draft, by finally tanking after 17 LONG years of no playoffs. How many rings do Detroit and Cleveland have? Did New England tank for Brady?

The game is about winning, not positioning. The Bills threw in the towel, plain and simple. They need to nail their picks and hope they're actually any good. Not something the Bills are known for, and the most successful draft GM we had is now gone. How many teams, in the NFLs long history, have tanked purposely and it worked out?

These moves set the franchise back 3-5 years....to .500. At least I didn't waste my money on Sunday Ticket

Edited by Gigs

So the salary cap reduced the level of talent in the league? It just reduced the money spent and made the game younger and more athletic.

Give me a break with the fans won't stand for it stuff. Fans are fans and love their team. They get frustrated at times but they love their teams.

And if you only give the GM and HC two years you're just perpetuating the same shortsighted approach that got us in this mess.

...EXACTLY....and the ONLY attractive part for attempting to attract incoming GM or HC talent is sign 'em to a five year deal and they'll know it includes three years' paid vacation ...makes perfect sense, right?..

Tanking is a waste of time. If all it took was sucking to become a powerhouse then teams like the Browns or Clippers would be champions by now. You don't develop a winning culture by tanking.

How about Jacksonville? They did a full on tank 4 years ago including taking a QB at #3.

4 years later, they still suck and have Coach Moron for a HC. LOL. Let's do that.

So the salary cap reduced the level of talent in the league? It just reduced the money spent and made the game younger and more athletic.

No, it made it tougher to retain your players and therefore affected depth. For example, the 90's Bills had quality backups due to strong drafting in middle to late rounds. Not surprisingly, those players were some of the first signed by other teams when FA first began. So teams are now forced to rely more on less expensive ( younger ) players as depth rather than veterans experienced in that team's system. It has affected depth, but I doubt that it reduced money spent. I'm pretty sure it has increased the percentage that is going to the players.

Fans can stuff it up their yoohoo.. Time for ownership to stick with a coach and GM through the thin. if fans want to B word and moan.. Who cares.. At this point we have to get assets for any player that won't be here after next season. More then likely this season is going to be tough to handle and 7-9 records are counter productive to any long term goal

The Bills have been lucky recently because a few things have fallen their way that have cushioned fan disappointment to continuously fielding a crappy team, most notably the change in ownership and the hiring of Rex Ryan, both of which boosted ticket sales. Now, the Bills are peddling the idea that they've turned over a new leaf. Again, that's going to boost ticket sales -- and don't kid yourself that a team like the Bills isn't attuned to paid attendance. Making a profit is nice, but making a larger profit is even better.

IMO, there's not much "new" about the Bills current leaf at all. It bears a depressing resemblance to the leaves under Williams, Mularkey, Jauron, Gailey, and Marrone. In other words, the team seems to be operating the same it's been operating since Wade Phillips, John Butler, and AJ Smith went west. The names of the GMs, coaches, and players have changed but the fundamentals of "the Bills way" for the last 16 years remain the same. For neophytes, the basic tenets of "the Bills way" include ...

• Draft defense over offense in the first two rounds.
  • When drafting offense in the first round, pick DBs, WRs, and RBs 'cause they're cheaper.
  • Do not pay premium $$ to keep even All Pro DBs, WRs, RBs because new ones can always be had in the draft.
  • Do not tolerate any player calling "Foul!" at something that OBD has done.
  • Character counts more than talent and production.
  • Pay 1 or 2 fan favorites to keep the fans happy ... and counteract the idea that the Bills don't re-sign their own stars.
  • Periodically bring in a big name for big $$$ to excite fans when they threaten to become jaded by continuous losing seasons. Alternatively, draft a QB in the first round even if there's no real QB talent available in the draft when you decide to do this.
  • Hire HCs with modest credentials because they're a whole lot cheaper than hiring a HC with lots of winning seasons on his resume.
  • Maximize the "wait 'til next year" mentality by winning at least 7 games, so that the fans remain hopeful. If the fans become restless, fire the coaching staff and be sure the next guy has an entirely different philosophy on offense and defense so that you can shed good veterans through FA or trades in the name of "he doesn't fit the system".
  • When in doubt,cry poverty ... and blame the salary cap.

No, it made it tougher to retain your players and therefore affected depth. For example, the 90's Bills had quality backups due to strong drafting in middle to late rounds. Not surprisingly, those players were some of the first signed by other teams when FA first began. So teams are now forced to rely more on less expensive ( younger ) players as depth rather than veterans experienced in that team's system. It has affected depth, but I doubt that it reduced money spent. I'm pretty sure it has increased the percentage that is going to the players.

not the Bills depth, we can't even put out 22 quality starters let alone locking up excellent backups.