Solar Eclipse 2017

boyst

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's true about the darkness. On TV I saw the SIU coverage and right before Totality... It was still light... I said: "Boy this is a dud!" Then bam, the seconds countdown and it got dark! I was like wow... Like poster above, the sun really has to be blocked, You have to get in that Unmbra! Or... Just wait for the earth to spin into night! ;-)

Read my post below... I was floored watching Totality.

It's hot out now... And this is the cooling part of day. At 13:00 much cooler. No front came through. Same clouds, no rain. Eclipse will effect some weather patterns, temp, wind.

Yes, 100% vs even 99% is significantly different. The sun is quite bright after all.

You don't need to be an expert to tell that not much happened for those in areas below 95% today. The effects were minimal and barely noticeably.

All this will be moot in 2024, got to see that for myself.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

Yes, 100% vs even 99% is significantly different. The sun is quite bright after all.

All this will be moot in 2024, got to see that for myself.

Yep... For sure... I am going home to WNY!

Looking at temp data... We keep it every minute. There was a 4 degree blip during Eclipse.

A HighNoon it was 83. 13:00 it was 79. That was min. Then climbed back up. 14:00 was 80. 14:30 it was 82. Now 84.

Again, "hottest" part of day and you see/feel a dip like that w/no weather patterns coming through?

Wind speed also peaked to a sustained 10.1 mph around max eclipse. Now below 5 as it was pre-eclipse.

Again. No systems coming through.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yep... For sure... I am going home to WNY!

Looking at temp data... We keep it every minute. There was a 4 degree blip during Eclipse.

A HighNoon it was 83. 13:00 it was 79. That was min. Then climbed back up. 14:00 was 80. 14:30 it was 82. Now 84.

Again, "hottest" part of day and you see/feel a dip like that w/no weather patterns coming through?

Wind speed also peaked to a sustained 10.1 mph around max eclipse. Now below 5 as it was pre-eclipse.

Again. No systems coming through.

I'm not disagreeing with you on either of those points. That was in response to Chef's comments about 60% = noticeable cooldown, that I call B/S on.

It is established that eclipses can modify weather, but again, without being in totality, you're not really getting anything that noticeable, unless you think 4 degrees and a 5mph wind speed change at 90% qualifies as such.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

I'm not disagreeing with you on either of those points. That was in response to Chef's comments about 60% = noticeable cooldown, that I call B/S on.

It is established that eclipses can modify weather, but again, without being in totality, you're not really getting anything that noticeable, unless you think 4 degrees and a 5mph wind speed change at 90% qualifies as such.

It was a notice blip to the senses. But I knew it was coming. So my reaction is probably tainted.

Fair enough... I see where you are coming from.

Different parts of country and geography play a part. Chef is in the desert.

Without the glasses it just got a little darker with 97% coverage around Atlanta. Tree frogs started croacking, confused the little buggers! With the glasses....very cool.

Did you watch Totality on TV. Same thing... I thought: "This is a dud!" Then bam, got much darker.

100% where I live. Listened to "Brain Damage" / "Eclipse" while it was happening. Totally mind blowing. Corona was religious like. Overwhelming to say the least.

I still don't get the big deal about "things passing in front of other things," astronomy-wise. Sure, some give you important data - an eclipsing binary star, gravitational lensing. But for the most part..."Hey, Venus is passing across the sun today!" So? What's that going to tell me? Nothing. That's not science, it's fetishism.

I have a friend who lives in GA where it was 100%. She can't stop talking about how cool it was. She said the temp dropped 20 degrees. From the 90's down to the 70's.

Yep, I didn't notice at first but then my neighbor mentioned how it had cooled off, and I wondered how I had NOT noticed initially. We only had 3% remaining of the sun, and it was still bright out, but in an odd kind of way. Shadows were different and it was all kind of surreal. If 3% still gives us that much light, the sun is kinda bright and more than a little warm. You're welcome for that expert analysis.

Do you need NASA approved safety glasses to watch it.

I saw news about some twits viewing eclipse without anymore than regular sunglasses.

Well if their eyes burned out is is good to know the USA would be paying for twits healthcare for rest of life.

Do you need NASA approved safety glasses to watch it.

I saw news about some twits viewing eclipse without anymore than regular sunglasses.

Well if their eyes burned out is is good to know the USA would be paying for twits healthcare for rest of life.

I used knockoffs that just said ISO/SEI-C/CE... Amazon couldn't have the seller produce the certification, so they pulled them and gave me a refund.

I bought them months in advance before all this ISO & approved manufacturers thing.

They worked fine... Been staring at full sun for months. Everybody here can attest that I am fine. Just ask. Go to PPP and ask them there too.

LoL...

Oh, all packed away & saving for 2024!

Anyway... IMO, propbably 99.9% are fine unless damaged. They are just scaring people to CYA and extract money out through the certification process, manufacturing, etc... If NASA/ISO (or whomever) was all doing it for free for the manufacturers, I would be surprised.

Of course... Throw them all away will probably be the next act of BS. Don't save them for 2024. They approved ones are mostly made out of paper frames... Think they will last 7 years even if people keep them? My perfectly fine knockoffs have plastic frames.

Amazon you didn't have to give my money back, but I will take it.