Solar Eclipse 2017

boyst

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty cool, didn't have glasses to watch it through but cloud cover was enough to make it pretty visible without it being overly bright. i definitely am seeing spots so their warnings were not overstated. it is a very cool haze out there right now

Had some glasses and saw at 95% in Durham. Pretty cool. Definitely didn't get dark but a noticeable haze near the end. Glad I took the time to watch it; next time I might try to get to an area of "totality."

i'm glad i did as well, i was very indifferent leading up to it, but really glad i took the time

Had some glasses and saw at 95% in Durham. Pretty cool. Definitely didn't get dark but a noticeable haze near the end. Glad I took the time to watch it; next time I might try to get to an area of "totality."

I watched it at Duke and it was pretty uneventful. Was that really 95%? The change to the sky was only noticeable if I turned around and looked away from the sun. I guess I was expecting it to be slightly darker. It just goes to show you how much of the sun really needs to be blocked out in order for it to get dark.

It got noticeably cooler out. We were at about 60% here.

Got much darker here... At 90%.

BS meter going off, BS meter going off...

You enjoying "Dark Side of the Moon" and some treats with your eclipse?

92% here and you barely noticed anything, outside of the indigo hue.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

BS meter going off, BS meter going off...

You enjoying "Dark Side of the Moon" and some treats with your eclipse?

92% here and you barely noticed anything, outside of the indigo hue.

That indigo hue is what was different. You never see it at the time of maximum.

No. It is so much lighter now, even with cloud cover.

I work swing. On days now. I consider my self sensitive to this stuff. I work in the dead of night and bright light of day. It was like twilight/late evening here @ max. (13:19). 80% of my work "day" is spent outside, all hours of the day/night & year.

Totally noticeable, same cloud coverage now.

And... Like Chef said... Is true. Warmer now. It's hot, less cool wind now. I have been in and out since 04:30... When it was dark.

I watched it at Duke and it was pretty uneventful. Was that really 95%? The change to the sky was only noticeable if I turned around and looked away from the sun. I guess I was expecting it to be slightly darker. It just goes to show you how much of the sun really needs to be blocked out in order for it to get dark.

Yep, that's why those "in the know" make such a big deal about totality vs. partial. I mean, where we were there was just a sliver of sun left but as you said, it only got a little hazy.

That indigo hue is what was different. You never see it at the time of maximum.

No. It is so much lighter now, even with cloud cover.

I work swing. On days now. I consider my self sensitive to this stuff. I work in the dead of night and bright light of day. It was like twilight/late evening here @ max. (13:19). 80% of my work "day" is spent outside, all hours of the day/night & year.

Totally noticeable, same cloud coverage now.

And... Like Chef said... Is true. Warmer now. It's hot, less cool wind now. I have been in and out since 04:30... When it was dark.

Chef was at 60%, two cities I looked at near 70% showed a 1-2 degree temperature drop around eclipse time, which may not even be related too the eclipse (Boston & LA for reference).

There was a 4 degree temperature difference here at 92% peak. 100% was reportedly 10-15 degrees, depending on location.

So noticeably cooler at 60%? Not buying it.

Now, darker? I guess if you want to argue about the indigo hue, which was noticeable, sure. I didn't think it was darker. Friends who live in northern UT and Fort Collins and were closer to 96% said the same. Shrader said the same thing about 95%. The effect was like you boosted shadow & highlights in your photo editor for 20 minutes. That's it. Not dusk or dawn, not evening color, just a ever so subtle change.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

That's true about the darkness. On TV I saw the SIU coverage and right before Totality... It was still light... I said: "Boy this is a dud!" Then bam, the seconds countdown and it got dark! I was like wow... Like poster above, the sun really has to be blocked, You have to get in that Unmbra! Or... Just wait for the earth to spin into night! ;-)

Chef was at 60%, two cities I looked at near 70% showed a 1-2 degree temperature drop around eclipse time, which may not even be related too the eclipse (Boston & LA for reference).

There was a 4 degree temperature difference here at 92% peak.

So noticeably cooler at 60%? Not buying it one minute.

Now, darker? I guess if you want to argue about the indigo hue, which was noticeable, sure. I didn't think it was darker. Friends who live in northern UT and Fort Collins and were closer to 96% said the same. Shrader said the same thing about 95%. The effect was like you boosted shadow & highlights in your photo editor for 20 minutes. That's it. Not dusk or dawn, not evening color, just a ever so subtle change.

Read my post below... I was floored watching Totality.

It's hot out now... And this is the cooling part of day. At 13:00 much cooler. No front came through. Same clouds, no rain. Eclipse will effect some weather patterns, temp, wind.