Solar Eclipse 2017

boyst

I hope you haven't been living under a rock and have somehow missed the incredible pictures posted on every news site around, but in case you have...

360 degree sunrise/sunset colors through the sky.

Day->night->day in minutes

Corona visible with naked eye

Diamond ring & Baileys Beads

Rolling shadow of the moon, most noticeable if you're on a high piece of land and see the shadow racing at 2000 mph toward you.

The strange view of the sun blocked by a black mass.

Ask anyone who was in totality and they will tell you how mind blowing it is, but if you're outside of that strip, you won't know....

I'm outside of most strips. I guess the over reaction shouldn't be a surprise. Hell grown men camp out over night to be the first in line for the latest Star Wars or Batman movie. Why not get over hyped for an eclipse? Different strokes I guess. Hell, I get excited to have a couple beers and draft my fantasy football team. I'm willing to bet lots of people think that is nonsense.

Edited by Dante

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm outside of most strips. I guess the over reaction shouldn't be a surprise. Hell grown men camp out over night to be the first in line for the latest Star Wars or Batman movie. Why not get over hyped for an eclipse? Different strokes I guess. Hell, I get excited to have a couple beers and draft my fantasy football team. I'm willing to bet lots of people think that is nonsense.

The hype was over the top for areas outside of 100%, but if you were in it, no way, the hype is real.

I have not heard from one person who wasn't blown away by totality.

Even at 98%, you are not getting 98% of the "total solar eclipse" experience. Totality or bust.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

The hype was over the top for areas outside of 100%, but if you were in it, no way, the hype is real.

Even at 98%, you are not getting 98% of the "total solar eclipse" experience. Totality or bust.

We had 97% coverage, and without glasses it was only mildly interesting. Amazing how only 3% of the sun can light up the world around you. If I had glasses in time I would have headed for totality, but maybe regretted it. A 3-4 hour trip up was a 7+ hour return for people we know when everybody left at once. I'd still go thru the hassle to do it once, and hope it didn't get cloudy like it did for our friends.

Today, one of my students said that he traveled south, but just outside the totality range. He said, "It was cool to see 99%." I was polite and said, "In 2024, go all the way. Trust me on this." But I was thinking, why travel for ALMOST totality? That's like pulling out five seconds before climax and saying, "That's enough for me."

Today, one of my students said that he traveled south, but just outside the totality range. He said, "It was cool to see 99%." I was polite and said, "In 2024, go all the way. Trust me on this." But I was thinking, why travel for ALMOST totality? That's like pulling out five seconds before climax and saying, "That's enough for me."

Very good point! But I'm happy you only thought that. We have certain threads for teachers who went the extra step. (Complete with mug shots.)

Very good point! But I'm happy you only thought that. We have certain threads for teachers who went the extra step. (Complete with mug shots.)

Ha! I'm happily married, no "extra curricular activities," so to speak. As Paul Newman once said, "When you have steak at home, you don't go out for hamburger."

Ha! I'm happily married, no "extra curricular activities," so to speak. As Paul Newman once said, "When you have steak at home, you don't go out for hamburger."

While I WAS kidding, it's scary how you can do everything right and still get in trouble. We've seen enough that I warned my high school girls tennis coaching buddy to never be alone with any one girl. You don't have to be guilty, but you have to be able to prove you are innocent. I've heard both sides of several situations, and that stuff scares me.

when you're with a woman who you don't trust, this is the best option.

Quote is not exactly right ....

“I don't like to discuss my marriage, but I will tell you something which may sound corny but which happens to be true. I have steak at home. Why should I go out for hamburger?”
― Paul Newman
Yeah that is true but I remember another quote not by Newman:
"Yeah I have steak at home but sometimes I go out for hamburger. Why? I like my steak rare but not very rare steak only given as a treat."

So you're suggesting that he didn't want to get the sun pregnant?