My Take on the game.

MAJBobby

Ahhh this one took me longer, not because it was hard to write but it was hard to re-watch a 4 hour plus Preseason Football Game. But here is my thoughts on the games. Not going to be as in depth as normal this game was a huge drain on me

Penalties, Penalties, Penalties and more Penalties.

New coach, same results, this team is not very football smart, disciplined whatever you want to call it. But this goes back a lot further than Rex Ryan no disciplined team. Penalties have been occurring with the Bills sin bunches since before Marone. Now Ed's crew takes some blame here, they were in mid-season form with a ton of BS calls, both on the Bills and the Eagles, he is going to officiate a lot of LONG football games because he seems to think it is about him and his crew on Sunday, not the football players. However there are really four things that cause penalties 1. Players are not talented enough, 2. Players are not football smart enough, 3. Coaches do not install discipline, 4. Players are out of proper alignment. So what is it this year? Something needs to be fixed otherwise it is going to be a long season.

Tempo

Where was the tempo this week. Against Minny they were in and out of the huddle, etc etc. This time nope, where is controlling the defense, not there, instead lined up and went on first sound, that is why Philly was able to time their delayed and safety blitzes perfectly all game, yes the OL needs to get better will get to that later, but you also need to help your OL. If you are going to go on first sound all year get ready for a lot of chaos because teams like Philly will be able to time up their blitzes and the OL will have no chance to block it up.

Front 7 play - Dareus is going to be talked about on his own in a minute. But as a unit the front 7 look really good, Shaq played really well (there were a couple times he was a little late off the ball, but that will get corrected I think). Hughes is every bit back to how he was in the 4-3 and they are getting pressure yet again with only 4. If the DL keeps playing like they do the Lbers will have a really easy time in the run defense. Same with the secondary. Ryan Davis (who I have been down on) flashed a lot this game, he has multiple passrush moves and was decent against the run, there is depth on the DL.

Secondary - Played good for the most part the good thing is they got off the field on third downs, that is a nice refreshing change from years past. however it also showed how they can be exploited in this game, if there is someone just out of position, or doesn't collapse the zone as they are supposed to there are going to be big easy seams to hit, more noticeable in the second half with the depth playing, but showed that these DBs have to be disciplined in their assignments.

Ragland - It was an ok game from him, there was a play the deep throw down the middle that showed his liability athletically (he was running head down in a full spring, like a 40 at the combine) just to get his depth, he got there but because he was doing everything in his power just to get there there was NO way he could have made a play on a ball that LBers that don't have that issue would have made a play on the ball. Then in the same series read a run perfectly with instincts got up inside through the trash and stoned the RB short of the 1st on 4th down.

Dareus - The only person that stops Dareus is him. There where times in this game that he was unstoppable against double teams, then there were times his motor ran cold and was stoned 1v1. Now that could just be the preseason but when I see Dareus being stoned 1v1 against backup OGs and Centers it is noticeable.

Taylor - Ok there is a lot here more bad then good but let me start off with the good. There were plays he tossed with anticipation and on time example the Zay Jones pass he put it in the window and for some reason Zay didn't make the break, he was to concerned with the CB. If he makes that break it is caught and gets YAC. Later in the drive they ran the same route and this time Zay made is break and it was connected on. The Clay diving pass, again was proof of it was incomplete but he tossed to a window with a guy in his face and clay had an attempt on the ball. However about that timing and anticipation, consistency is the problem. we hear that a lot with Bills QBs lately don't we. Earlier on the three step drop (picture going around) he holds the ball and takes a sack. Now a couple bads, one the Tip Pick, that is 100% on him, if you watch the protection that safety was a free runner, TT has to know this, was late to recognize, didn't adjust arm angle and boom tip pick. The second pick was a poor decision, you cannot make that throw being flushed with a safety overtop. Now even if it was a bad choice, not all on TT there, Boldin has to fight for the ball there, he is just to slow at this stage of his career to be an outside WR running those speed routes. He needs to be inside running the physical routes.

Right Side of OL - Just cut Ducasse already. Bills need to address this position group when cuts are made or get Brandon Albert on the phone.

Peterman - PUMP THE BREAKS - there is some good there, liked his command throws a nice ball when clean, Him under pressure looked like a Rookie that is a later round pick and gets all flustered. but is not ready for primetime. That said He ABSOLUTELY has played Yates off this roster. Also if McD wants to light a fire under TT (played well when in a competition) give Peterman some 1st team reps this week

No secret you and have often butted heads, mostly on QB related stuff. And I am not going to change my opinion on a lot of that past stuff as I was bluntly honest about my impression of those things when you wrote them. I don't know whats changed, but the change has been a pleasant surprise.

I can give credit where credit is due to anyone. And like I told you last night, I thought you were fair and reasoned and mostly agreed with what you were saying in the shout box and thought you made a lot thoughtful and good points. I don't agree with your assessment with the tipped INT pass, but I also have no issue with your reasoning or opinion on the matter either.

In regards to this write up, another good job and I have similar thoughts on just about all of this.

Like I said, the one main thing I differ on is that first INT where I feel the OL getting blown up had more of an impact on that play then you acknowledge by putting it all on TT only. The other part about it is, ZJ was not very far from TT, its not like he can just lob it there and TT had to throw quickly and didn't have time to adjust the angle because the OL just got instantly pushed into him and the pocket. He had to rush the pass to get rid of it and the S made a nice play throwing his hand up to deflect a short throw. Again, TT is not absolved here, but I disagree its all on him only as several factors impacted that result.

Being honest...it was really hard for many here to have good dialogue with you given with the way you have posted in the past...I hope this MAJ remains and the past MAJ is gone.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice write-up, thank you. Just watching the game a 2nd time must've been tedious. Not fixing the penalties issue by regular season time would be unacceptable to me. That's something the staff knew was an issue from last year. They have some time and I'm sure some of the culprits won't be on the team by regular season time, hopefully that'll get fixed.

Tyrod struggling is concerning. Darby's familiarity may have played a bit of a role but if we don't see more out of him soon we could be in for a long season.

No secret you and have often butted heads, mostly on QB related stuff. And I am not going to change my opinion on a lot of that past stuff as I was bluntly honest about my impression of those things when you wrote them. I don't know whats changed, but the change has been a pleasant surprise.

I can give credit where credit is due to anyone. And like I told you last night, I thought you were fair and reasoned and mostly agreed with what you were saying in the shout box and thought you made a lot thoughtful and good points. I don't agree with your assessment with the tipped INT pass, but I also have no issue with your reasoning or opinion on the matter either.

In regards to this write up, another good job and I have similar thoughts on just about all of this.

Like I said, the one main thing I differ on is that first INT where I feel the OL getting blown up had more of an impact on that play then you acknowledge by putting it all on TT only. The other part about it is, ZJ was not very far from TT, its not like he can just lob it there and TT had to throw quickly and didn't have time to adjust the angle because the OL just got instantly pushed into him and the pocket. He had to rush the pass to get rid of it and the S made a nice play throwing his hand up to deflect a short throw. Again, TT is not absolved here, but I disagree its all on him only as several factors impacted that result.

Being honest...it was really hard for many here to have good dialogue with you given with the way you have posted in the past...I hope this MAJ remains and the past MAJ is gone.

I get you take on the tip pick. Understand it. And yeah the OL was pushed back which likely caused TT to pick up the free running safety late, i think he said as much too. But my other part of that is that safety came from deep, he wasnt up close to the line and was moving way early it really should have been recognized.

However no real harm being early in a football game and the Defense did a heck of a job with the quick change and held. In the future TT has to know that is his guy to beat but understand your side as well. So i can put some shared blame on OL.

Appreciate the comment on Posting Style. Alot of off message board stuff that may have caused me to be different than am now and might have shown through in my writing.

Nice write-up, thank you. Just watching the game a 2nd time must've been tedious. Not fixing the penalties issue by regular season time would be unacceptable to me. That's something the staff knew was an issue from last year. They have some time and I'm sure some of the culprits won't be on the team by regular season time, hopefully that'll get fixed.

Tyrod struggling is concerning. Darby's familiarity may have played a bit of a role but if we don't see more out of him soon we could be in for a long season.

Ooo god watching the craptastic game a 2nd time i almost stabbed myself in my eye with my pencil, VA wouldnt give me disability there though i dont think Edited by MAJBobby

and i keep saying this, reggie had that interception on that deep drop. he just needs to learn to turn his head. i thought hid coverage was good

oh and jerel worthy is a penetraing beast.

And why didnt he turn his head? O yea he was giving it all just to get depth in a full out sprint due to athletic issues

I mean seriously he looked like he was running a 40 at the combine just to get his depth. That is worrisome

Edited by MAJBobby

It being preseason, with new schemes, new coaches,some roster turmoil, vanilla game plans, I don't expect much in the way of evidence for either success or failure in the regular season. I am more focused on how individuals perform than the team. But a few things do bother me already.

First off, the penalties, especially the idiotic ones. False starts should drop off. And PI calls are often judgment calls. But personal fouls, illegal blocks, really roughing the passer, those sorts of penalties drive me nuts because they are just plain stupid.

The other thing that's a concern is what the heck has happened to Seantrel? He looks like he's just learning the game, like he's forgotten how to play. And while I'm thinking about line play, why is Ducasse still being treated as a competitor for a starting job? Whatever the coaches are seeing completely escapes me.

Ahhh this one took me longer, not because it was hard to write but it was hard to re-watch a 4 hour plus Preseason Football Game. But here is my thoughts on the games. Not going to be as in depth as normal this game was a huge drain on me

Penalties, Penalties, Penalties and more Penalties.

New coach, same results, this team is not very football smart, disciplined whatever you want to call it. But this goes back a lot further than Rex Ryan no disciplined team. Penalties have been occurring with the Bills sin bunches since before Marone. Now Ed's crew takes some blame here, they were in mid-season form with a ton of BS calls, both on the Bills and the Eagles, he is going to officiate a lot of LONG football games because he seems to think it is about him and his crew on Sunday, not the football players. However there are really four things that cause penalties 1. Players are not talented enough, 2. Players are not football smart enough, 3. Coaches do not install discipline, 4. Players are out of proper alignment. So what is it this year? Something needs to be fixed otherwise it is going to be a long season.

Tempo

Where was the tempo this week. Against Minny they were in and out of the huddle, etc etc. This time nope, where is controlling the defense, not there, instead lined up and went on first sound, that is why Philly was able to time their delayed and safety blitzes perfectly all game, yes the OL needs to get better will get to that later, but you also need to help your OL. If you are going to go on first sound all year get ready for a lot of chaos because teams like Philly will be able to time up their blitzes and the OL will have no chance to block it up.

Front 7 play - Dareus is going to be talked about on his own in a minute. But as a unit the front 7 look really good, Shaq played really well (there were a couple times he was a little late off the ball, but that will get corrected I think). Hughes is every bit back to how he was in the 4-3 and they are getting pressure yet again with only 4. If the DL keeps playing like they do the Lbers will have a really easy time in the run defense. Same with the secondary. Ryan Davis (who I have been down on) flashed a lot this game, he has multiple passrush moves and was decent against the run, there is depth on the DL.

Secondary - Played good for the most part the good thing is they got off the field on third downs, that is a nice refreshing change from years past. however it also showed how they can be exploited in this game, if there is someone just out of position, or doesn't collapse the zone as they are supposed to there are going to be big easy seams to hit, more noticeable in the second half with the depth playing, but showed that these DBs have to be disciplined in their assignments.

Ragland - It was an ok game from him, there was a play the deep throw down the middle that showed his liability athletically (he was running head down in a full spring, like a 40 at the combine) just to get his depth, he got there but because he was doing everything in his power just to get there there was NO way he could have made a play on a ball that LBers that don't have that issue would have made a play on the ball. Then in the same series read a run perfectly with instincts got up inside through the trash and stoned the RB short of the 1st on 4th down.

Dareus - The only person that stops Dareus is him. There where times in this game that he was unstoppable against double teams, then there were times his motor ran cold and was stoned 1v1. Now that could just be the preseason but when I see Dareus being stoned 1v1 against backup OGs and Centers it is noticeable.

Taylor - Ok there is a lot here more bad then good but let me start off with the good. There were plays he tossed with anticipation and on time example the Zay Jones pass he put it in the window and for some reason Zay didn't make the break, he was to concerned with the CB. If he makes that break it is caught and gets YAC. Later in the drive they ran the same route and this time Zay made is break and it was connected on. The Clay diving pass, again was proof of it was incomplete but he tossed to a window with a guy in his face and clay had an attempt on the ball. However about that timing and anticipation, consistency is the problem. we hear that a lot with Bills QBs lately don't we. Earlier on the three step drop (picture going around) he holds the ball and takes a sack. Now a couple bads, one the Tip Pick, that is 100% on him, if you watch the protection that safety was a free runner, TT has to know this, was late to recognize, didn't adjust arm angle and boom tip pick. The second pick was a poor decision, you cannot make that throw being flushed with a safety overtop. Now even if it was a bad choice, not all on TT there, Boldin has to fight for the ball there, he is just to slow at this stage of his career to be an outside WR running those speed routes. He needs to be inside running the physical routes.

Right Side of OL - Just cut Ducasse already. Bills need to address this position group when cuts are made or get Brandon Albert on the phone.

Peterman - PUMP THE BREAKS - there is some good there, liked his command throws a nice ball when clean, Him under pressure looked like a Rookie that is a later round pick and gets all flustered. but is not ready for primetime. That said He ABSOLUTELY has played Yates off this roster. Also if McD wants to light a fire under TT (played well when in a competition) give Peterman some 1st team reps this week

Great stuff Bobby. On the penalties, Its 1 &2. Beane and McD will be shoring that up with cuts coming up and cuts / non re-signs next offseason.

QB: TT flat sucks. Sorry folks he just does. I say give Peterman the year and let the record be what it is, prep the kid.

Dareus: That has been his issue, plays when he wants to. You don't give 100 Mill to a DT period let alone a player like that. OOPS! Whaley already did.

And even than we almost won the game. Yates intercept in the end zone. Ragland stop on 4th and one was great. O'lery played well. There were many good plays. Hard to watch were all the penaltys. Refs in training also. Thought we were going to pull it out. Third week will be very telling. Got to watch it this morning on NFL Network.

It would be great if you could provide a little more detail on the performance of the backup safeties, especially with Anderson experiencing a setback.

I didnt notice them look out of place. Gary seemd to have a grasp in his Zone Concepts. I dont think we have to worry about out safety play at all.

There was a couple deep throws they didnt react to the ball well and collapse the zones with allowed some catches (The one were Raagland had trouble getting drop) most glaring.

To be honest by the time i got the the second half i was zapped

Also dont be surprised if one of the CBs start getting tried out at the FS spot. They really are someone interchangeable in Zone heavy schemes

Edited by MAJBobby

Good write up, MAJBobby.

I see your point about Dareus, but I am not concerned about it as much. Now that he is no longer being misused as a Nose Tackle, we can get the production from him that we expect.

Anquan Boldin should not be lined up wide and running deep patterns, that is the wrong way to use him. Once Jordan Matthews returns, I expect that to change.

Zay Jones looked very good, and i can't wait to see him progress.

I do not want to see Patrick DiMarco & Mike Tolbert going in motion as wideouts. Please tell me that is just a preseason playbook thing.

Look forward to more of your reports, MAJBobby. I guess you could be the new what's his name in NYC.

I didnt notice them look out of place. Gary seemd to have a grasp in his Zone Concepts. I dont think we have to worry about out safety play at all.

There was a couple deep throws they didnt react to the ball well and collapse the zones with allowed some catches (The one were Raagland had trouble getting drop) most glaring.

To be honest by the time i got the the second half i was zapped

Also dont be surprised if one of the CBs start getting tried out at the FS spot. They really are someone interchangeable in Zone heavy schemes

thanks!

When Glenn gets back, just roll with Miller and Dawkins on the right side.

They drafted Dawkins to end the mess at RT, so just live with his growing pains.

And even though Miller is inexperienced in this type of offense, live with his growing pains too.

Cause you can't get much worse than Vlad and Mills on the right side.

I thought O'leary caught and blocked very well.

I liked EJ & Poyer in the secondary.

I liked Lorax & Hodges, the backers.

Really liked Zay & Reilly's game.

3rd down defense.

Disappointed with the Oline, Boldin, Tyrod, refs (some flags were ticky tac), Logan Thomas sucked & oh yeah, the play of Holmes...or lack there of.

Yates still sux, so nothing changed there.

And why didnt he turn his head? O yea he was giving it all just to get depth in a full out sprint due to athletic issues

I mean seriously he looked like he was running a 40 at the combine just to get his depth. That is worrisome

I don't think he was running to get depth. He was running hard covering a WR. Kudos to the Eagles for finding that mismatch on 3rd and 19