It's all about the franchise QB!!

Or they could just be looking to make the team better now and even better next year.

Tyrod is still relatively young but his elite running ability can only go for so long. Peterson is the wild card. If he turns into Cousins, albeit a weaker arm, or even better.. then the conversation becomes 6 picks next year for drafting starters and building a strong, young core. Get your LT, elite corner, LB, franchise safety, whatever.

Might be hard to get the top QBs even with with currency. Plus, who knows if Darnold is coming out. Jackson & Rosen don't look like sure things, etc. I really like our situation right now......A LOT. It's such a different approach to building a team that many of us just aren't used to.

My $0.02

This.

It takes 2 to tango.

If there are 2 or 3 Elite QB prospects, why does everyone just assume we could so easily trade up for one?

My bet is that one of these 3 "Elite" prospects (Darnold, Rosen, Allen) won't be viewed the same way by the end of the college year and/or/plus like you say maybe Darnold doesn't come out.

Then you're left with 1.

I still think we draft someone, but we'll have to keep Taylor, too, in all likelihood. That's unless he has a below average or bad season.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This.

It takes 2 to tango.

If there are 2 or 3 Elite QB prospects, why does everyone just assume we could so easily trade up for one?

My bet is that one of these 3 "Elite" prospects (Darnold, Rosen, Allen) won't be viewed the same way by the end of the college year and/or/plus like you say maybe Darnold doesn't come out.

Then you're left with 1.

I still think we draft someone, but we'll have to keep Taylor, too, in all likelihood. That's unless he has a below average or bad season.

I am very much on the "let's see how the college season plays out" boat. Kirby is big on the fact that it isn't just those 3... but Rudolph and Falk and Mayfield and maybe Jackson and possibly one or two others. I see that argument but I very much doubt that we are talking about 5 genuine 1st round level QBs next draft season.

But they are building capital to take one... can they find a trade partner? Who knows?

I am very much on the "let's see how the college season plays out" boat. Kirby is big on the fact that it isn't just those 3... but Rudolph and Falk and Mayfield and maybe Jackson and possibly one or two others. I see that argument but I very much doubt that we are talking about 5 genuine 1st round level QBs next draft season.

But they are building capital to take one... can they find a trade partner? Who knows?

IMO, the most likely draft scenario is something like what played out this year, except with 5 or 6 top QBs instead of just 3: No consensus first pick, a lot of uncertainty as to where the top guys will land, and therefore an excellent chance that a top prospect or two will fall to the middle of the first round. I think that would be a great scenario for the Bills.

This.

It takes 2 to tango.

Then you're left with 1.

If all the Juniors declare my first thought this class will be better than 04 and rival 83 classes

I think we have the capital. But teams that don't have a franchise QB and really need one and have the opportunity to draft one are unlikely to give up their opportunity to draft one just for a bunch of draft picks.

Remember, the Rams still had hopes for Bradford back in 2012 when the 'Skins came calling. The Titans had Mariota last year when the Rams came calling.

The Colts I'm sure refused some absolutely insane offers from other teams in 2012 despite the fact that they already had one of the best QBs in history recovering and coming back to play the next year.

The Browns are the Browns... so if they're up there, apparently they don't care much about drafting a QB since they gave their 2nd pick to the Eagles last year.

But if we choose to go get one of these Elite guys and aren't one of the worst teams in the league in 2017, it's not going to be easy.

Yea... depends who the worst teams are. I think Denver will be there early... question whether they are ready to move on from Lynch already. I think the Colts could be bad too.... I suspect they would be willing to trade out.

Obviously if the top 3 are the Jets, Browns and 49ers they are not trading out.

Edited by GunnerBill

Yea... depends who the worst teams are. I think Denver will be there early... question whether they are ready to move on from Lynch already. I think the Colts could be bad too.... I suspect they would be willing to trade out.

Obviously if the top 3 are the Jets, Browns and 49ers they are not trading out.

But i also think Browns dont take a QB. Hugh is in love with Kizer

I think the sammy move was also a big cap move. Setting us up to take a run at cousins should he become available. If he becomes available we become very attractive with all those picks. Can you imagine getting a first round wr, rb, then a couple lb's and linemen in the 2nd and third? we could have a really good young team next year.

I think the sammy move was also a big cap move. Setting us up to take a run at cousins should he become available. If he becomes available we become very attractive with all those picks. Can you imagine getting a first round wr, rb, then a couple lb's and linemen in the 2nd and third? we could have a really good young team next year.

Hey, if you can get a guy and keep all he picks!!! I seriously don't know just how good Cousins is. Not really questioning him, I just don't know where he'd rank??? Edited by Augie

Hey, if you can get a guy and keep all he picks!!! I seriously don't know just how good Cousins is. Not really questioning him, I just don't know where he'd rank???

the guy just threw for almost 5k yards. the thing is...like drew brees he had no defense. i like that mcd is a defensive head coach so that if we do get that qb he will ensure that we have a defense so that our TEAM is good and we hopefully don't end up like the colts, saints etc. Sure the colts and saints got a ring each but man with that qb play it's sad they couldn't get a defense to go with the offense. that's where the pats have the leg up. bb is a defensive genious.

I just don't understand how we get to "genius moves" or even a "coaching staff that finally gets it" by letting our marquee players walk out the door for peanuts.I mean that's pretty much the one line summary of every GM we've had for 20 years. "We believe in building through the Draft" - McDermott "Unless it's somebody else's draft" - Beane.

I mean, seriously. Why on earth would anyone expect they'll do a better job of drafting from the same talent pool, with mostly the same grades as every other team in the league? Can anyone tell me the last time that a tank or even a "rebuild" created a perennial contender/dynasty in the NFL?

The Browns have shown no evidence thus far that it's worked. If it does, it'll be one the back of Kizer that every single team could have had.

The Colts have yet to bear fruit from Suck for Luck

Are the Bucs going to finally move from potential to contender? My money is nope.

The Steelers, Patriots, Seahawks, Raiders, Broncos, Cowboys, Chiefs, Packers, Cardinals, etc haven't had to go through a "rebuild" let alone 5 or 6 of them to get where they are. They just drafted players that became stars and kept them. Except for the Broncos who don't have a QB, every single one of those teams QBs could have been had by any team that really wanted them.

What I hear Beane/Buffalo Fans telling me is QB is all that matters. If that's the case why not just draft 3 every year, let the best 2 split time, keep the best one after the season and do the whole thing again the next year until you get a guy you can live with? What's the point of taking a 5th round linebacker if you're telling me you can't win without a top 10 QB? Draft them all. Take every Kirk Cousins, Derek Carr, Dak Prescott, Russel Wilson, etc that's available and get one that works out. If you get two, trade one for a linebacker. You're probably going to tell me that's ridiculous, but is it any more so than letting two 23 year old high draft picks walk out the door for slightly better than nothing?

McBeane (the combo that is McD and Beane) made some gutsy moves in trading away Watkins and Darby.

I believe that Watkins was traded because of his vast injury history and that the time was right to trade him now in order to obtain the most value for him. Darby simply did not fit the new zone coverage defensive scheme very well.

It's possibly that McBeane waited to make the Darby trade until it was confirmed that both trades would be accepted (since losing Watkins left a hole at WR and losing Darby left a hole at CB). The Bills filled those holes with WR J. Matthews and CB EJ Gaines. Matthews has actually outperformed Watkins to date. Gaines had a tremendous rookie, but a foot injury caused his ply in 2016 to tail off.

Make no bones about it, these moves were made to help the Bills rebuild, but the most important part of that is to have the wherewithal (i.e. the draft picks) to obtain a franchise QB. That could turn out to be a top 5 pick in the 2018 Draft or it could be a veteran player that the Bills decide to trade for.

The Bills currently have the following draft picks in 2018: R1/R1/R2/R2/R3/R3/R4/R5/R7 (9 picks). If they cut certain players (Ducasse, R. Davis, A. Holmes, others) they could acquire compensatory R3 and R4 picks in 2018 for losing Gilmore and Woods this year. Their 2018 draft picks would grow to R1/R1/R2/R2/R3/R3/R3/R4/R4/R5/R7 (11 picks - 7 in the first three rounds!!).

The bottom line is that just about any player or players (yes, even Watkins and Darby) are worth trading to obtain a legitimate franchise QB, which is what the Bills have been missing these last 17 playoff-less years.

The recent trades have actually been a master stroke because the Bills are finally on a path to obtain their very own franchise QB.

Not done treading yet.

No. If the Browns are so bad they're in the top 3 again it'd be head-scratchingly baffling if the Browns didn't take a QB in the top 3 of this supposedly great class.

Of course, it's the Browns 0:)

Or they are happy with Kizer and trade down for, say, 2 #1's? Edited by PromoTheRobot