It's all about the franchise QB!!

McBeane (the combo that is McD and Beane) made some gutsy moves in trading away Watkins and Darby.

I believe that Watkins was traded because of his vast injury history and that the time was right to trade him now in order to obtain the most value for him. Darby simply did not fit the new zone coverage defensive scheme very well.

It's possibly that McBeane waited to make the Darby trade until it was confirmed that both trades would be accepted (since losing Watkins left a hole at WR and losing Darby left a hole at CB). The Bills filled those holes with WR J. Matthews and CB EJ Gaines. Matthews has actually outperformed Watkins to date. Gaines had a tremendous rookie, but a foot injury caused his ply in 2016 to tail off.

Make no bones about it, these moves were made to help the Bills rebuild, but the most important part of that is to have the wherewithal (i.e. the draft picks) to obtain a franchise QB. That could turn out to be a top 5 pick in the 2018 Draft or it could be a veteran player that the Bills decide to trade for.

The Bills currently have the following draft picks in 2018: R1/R1/R2/R2/R3/R3/R4/R5/R7 (9 picks). If they cut certain players (Ducasse, R. Davis, A. Holmes, others) they could acquire compensatory R3 and R4 picks in 2018 for losing Gilmore and Woods this year. Their 2018 draft picks would grow to R1/R1/R2/R2/R3/R3/R3/R4/R4/R5/R7 (11 picks - 7 in the first three rounds!!).

The bottom line is that just about any player or players (yes, even Watkins and Darby) are worth trading to obtain a legitimate franchise QB, which is what the Bills have been missing these last 17 playoff-less years.

The recent trades have actually been a master stroke because the Bills are finally on a path to obtain their very own franchise QB.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use those assets and take two.

i wouldn't be against it. But if they are as many think already in a mode where they are not necessarily tanking then at some point I think we'll see Peterman. Regardless, I think they believe they may have something in him. Already loving him up to the 2nd string over Vet TJ Yates. He's most likely the 2nd guy in the room at that point to fight for a starting spot.

Or they could just be looking to make the team better now and even better next year.

Tyrod is still relatively young but his elite running ability can only go for so long. Peterson is the wild card. If he turns into Cousins, albeit a weaker arm, or even better.. then the conversation becomes 6 picks next year for drafting starters and building a strong, young core. Get your LT, elite corner, LB, franchise safety, whatever.

Might be hard to get the top QBs even with with currency. Plus, who knows if Darnold is coming out. Jackson & Rosen don't look like sure things, etc. I really like our situation right now......A LOT. It's such a different approach to building a team that many of us just aren't used to.

My $0.02

Edited by r00tabaga

As of right now, the only top QBs guaranteed to come out because they are seniors are:

1- Mason Rudolph

2- Luke Falk

3- Baker Mayfield

You cannot assume that any of the top underclassman QBs are going to declare.

So if these were your choices, who would you want?

Edited by JaCrispy

Biggest problem with the idea of franchise QB:

When they're taken that high, they're done. Their life dream's accomplished, they get their money, and they never dig deep or commit for greatness. Carson Palmer, Jay Cutler, things like that.

What you need is a QB who can make every throw on the field. That's it. Then you need to give him time. Everything else is magical thinking.

Coaching is much more important. Owner is much more important than that. You need people who know everything there is about football, everything about the league and the players in it and the players who will be in it, and where the league is going the next decade.

You need ownership who puts their mark on the league and avoids getting swindled by vultures and charlatans.

Most importantly, you need owners who really want to win, and not just cash in on that TV contract.

assuming TT is not the guy after this year.

Go after Cousins, if you cant get him go for Garappoo. If that does not work you use your war chest of picks and roll the dice on a rookie. Cousins is going to be the next Drew Brees. If you added him to this roster along with the picks this team gets very interesting very quickly.

Go after Cousins, if you cant get him go for Garappoo. If that does not work you use your war chest of picks and roll the dice on a rookie. Cousins is going to be the next Drew Brees. If you added him to this roster along with the picks this team gets very interesting very quickly.

i like that idea. Cousins becomes a FA. Bills sign him to big contract. Then use 8 picks in the first 3 rounds going after studs that can seriously vault this team into the playoffs.

I could get behind it.

I actually like the idea of Garappolo...however, i don't think the Pats are gonna give him up for nothing...i think there is a real possibility that we just may see the first backup QB being franchised...that's just how shrewd BB is.

If that were the case and I was Garappolo, I would be pissed!

Edited by JaCrispy

I actually like the idea of Garappolo...however, i don't think the Pats are gonna give him up for nothing...i think there is a real possibility that we just may see the first backup QB being franchised...that's just how shrewd BB is.

That's why Jimmy G is going to hit the open market. Unless BB trades Brady after the season Jimmy is as good as gone.

Franchise tag would cost NE around $22 million on Jimmy, Brady carries around a $15 million hit. That's $37 million on 2 qb's and neither one would be locked up long term as Bradys contract runs out in 2019.

to my original point I think the Bills are loading up on picks to add to - Cousins, Garappolo, or Tyrod if he pans out.

Edited by Charlottebillsfan2

As of right now, the only top QBs guaranteed to come out because they are seniors are:

1- Mason Rudolph

2- Luke Falk

3- Baker Mayfield

Uncle Rico

1- Mason Rudolph

2- Luke Falk

3- Baker Mayfield

Baker Mayfield hands down. He is the best QB in college football today and I think will make a good pro....

i wouldn't be against it. But if they are as many think already in a mode where they are not necessarily tanking then at some point I think we'll see Peterman. Regardless, I think they believe they may have something in him. Already loving him up to the 2nd string over Vet TJ Yates. He's most likely the 2nd guy in the room at that point to fight for a starting spot.

Even better reason to take two.

One in the top rounds, and then your later development guy. If Petterman is locked in at 2, you start a situation where you take QBs and start flipping them (if you hit on your Franchise) ala NE.

1- Mason Rudolph

2- Luke Falk

3- Baker Mayfield

Falk - will be a top QB ni next years draft Likely third (behind Darnold and Rosen). but if not high enough to take him Rudolph IMO will shake out as a middle to late 1st rounder (if the juniors declare) so you can take him at 10 or later in a Senior only class and still get value.

However what I would do if I cant get Falk is try and flip one of our 1st or 2nds to a first next year then

Biggest problem with the idea of franchise QB:

When they're taken that high, they're done. Their life dream's accomplished, they get their money, and they never dig deep or commit for greatness. Carson Palmer, Jay Cutler, things like that.

What you need is a QB who can make every throw on the field. That's it. Then you need to give him time. Everything else is magical thinking.

Coaching is much more important. Owner is much more important than that. You need people who know everything there is about football, everything about the league and the players in it and the players who will be in it, and where the league is going the next decade.

You need ownership who puts their mark on the league and avoids getting swindled by vultures and charlatans.

Most importantly, you need owners who really want to win, and not just cash in on that TV contract.

Based on what, Are these rookie QBs not working (it is not like they are getting 60M guaranteed like before the rookie wage scale)

How are they getting something for him. They wont tag him, so unless they move him for reduced value now or before the deadline he walks as a UFA

Edited by MAJBobby

1- Mason Rudolph

2- Luke Falk

3- Baker Mayfield

MASON RUDOLPH, SO BUST!!!

The Bills will finally have some very strong options at QB instead of having to settle for what is leftover.

Their options:

1. They could go all in on a top 3-5 draft pick (stud QB) in 2018.

2. They could trade for a young vet QB (i.e. K. Cousins).

3. They could trade for an older, more proven vet QB (i.e. B. Roethlisberger).

4. They could go with what they have in Taylor and Peterman as well as draft a young QB in rounds 2-5 while utilizing the majority of their draft picks (as many as 11 w/ seven in rounds 1-3) to shore up multiple positions.

I happen to think that the McBeane Model will somehow make obtaining the best possible QB the highest priority in 2018.