Bills' 2017 Training Camp Discussion - Final Day

Building a team not accumulating talent?

Don't you want to do both Sean?

The two are inextricably linked. He swears the team will have enough playmakers to get explosive plays. The only guy I see on offense with that ability is Shady now that Sammy's gone.

@JoeBuscaglia

When going through the WRs, #Bills HC Sean McDermott says "and let's not forget about Andre [Holmes]" after Matthews, Boldin & Jones.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@viccarucci

#Bills' practice raises McDermott's ire, which then creates chippy tone. At [bN] Blitz:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/14/bills-practice-raises-mcdermotts-ire-creates-chippy-tone/

@WGR550

Chippy, Physical, Heated. Those were just a few words to describe today's #Bills practice. @pham1717 with more: http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/bills-mcdermott-had-stop-practice

I truly think this was McDermott being in complete control. They were not "fighting" before he stopped practice and gave them a ripping. As soon as he did, all hell broke loose. It would not surprise me if he was smiling inside. This shows me that he is in complete control of this team, and can motivate them on command, at his will. Today's practice will be the indicator of his ability to "focus" the team with that fire that he produced yesterday.

command and control is the first step to team building and success

The two are inextricably linked. He swears the team will have enough playmakers to get explosive plays. The only guy I see on offense with that ability is Shady now that Sammy's gone.

@JoeBuscaglia

When going through the WRs, #Bills HC Sean McDermott says "and let's not forget about Andre [Holmes]" after Matthews, Boldin & Jones.

Charles Clay down the seam? That's if Tyrod utilizes the middle of the field more this year.

And Tyrod.

He better be right. I don't see it.

Need Tyrod and Shady to play the best football of their careers if the Bills want any shot this year.

I'm not attempting to argue a point with you here. I'm just curious if you thought that with Watkins and prior to the trades that you believed that the Bills were a playoff team this season? Where we have a fundamental difference(it seems) is that I don't believe that prior to the deals this team as it was currently assembled had little chance to be a playoff team. That is why I'm more pro rebuild with adding picks that you appear to be. I have also staked out a hardened position that until this organization acquires an authentic franchise qb this team will not accomplish anything meaningful. In that light adding picks to better position the organization to get a good qb prospect in the next draft is a good strategic move.

I truly think this was McDermott being in complete control. They were not "fighting" before he stopped practice and gave them a ripping. As soon as he did, all hell broke loose. It would not surprise me if he was smiling inside. This shows me that he is in complete control of this team, and can motivate them on command, at his will. Today's practice will be the indicator of his ability to "focus" the team with that fire that he produced yesterday.

command and control is the first step to team building and success

Good lord dude. You are reading too hard into it.

When you are at work - and your boss comes over and chews you a new ass, do you walk away smiling because it puts you in a great mood - or does it basically ruin whatever good mood you might have been in and make you pissed and miserable?

It's simple human nature. When you get chewed out by someone whose respect/love/friendship you strongly desire - it tends to piss you off. And pissy moods are highly contagious. Just look at this board.

Frazier yelling at Hughes "It's all about you" within earshot of reporters is pretty surprising. That the target of his anger is Hughes...not so surprising.

I don't know if it is 17 years of missing the playoffs, the fact that I have been following this team since ~1967, or idiots like Hughes, but my attachment to the team continues to drop as the years go by. :(

Frazier yelling at Hughes "It's all about you" within earshot of reporters is pretty surprising. That the target of his anger is Hughes...not so surprising.

I don't know if it is 17 years of missing the playoffs, the fact that I have been following this team since ~1967, or idiots like Hughes, but my attachment to the team continues to drop as the years go by. :(

I'm the same way...I'm not going to any games this year because I just don't care to see the product...I think, with each passing regime, you lose more and more hope that this thing can actually get turned around...If the current staff can't build a winner, I will probably think things will never change and stop watching all together...would I still wish the best for the bills? of course...but I just won't care anymore.

I'm not attempting to argue a point with you here. I'm just curious if you thought that with Watkins and prior to the trades that you believed that the Bills were a playoff team this season? Where we have a fundamental difference(it seems) is that I don't believe that prior to the deals this team as it was currently assembled had little chance to be a playoff team. That is why I'm more pro rebuild with adding picks that you appear to be. I have also staked out a hardened position that until this organization acquires an authentic franchise qb this team will not accomplish anything meaningful. In that light adding picks to better position the organization to get a good qb prospect in the next draft is a good strategic move.

prior to the trades, I believed we could ride the defense and the running game to 7-9 wins. after the trades, I believe we could ride the defense and running game to 7-9 wins. we had 7 last year and Sammy played 8 games, and with Darby/Gilmore our secondary ranked 24th https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-secondaries-this-season

Edited by quinnearlysghost88

@mikerodak

Bills CB Shareece Wright (sprained right thumb) has returned to practice Tuesday, running with the first team

It would mildly surprise me if they don't open the season with White/Wright as the starting boundary guys and Gaines in the slot.

Edited by thebandit27

Building a team not accumulating talent?

Don't you want to do both Sean?

As soon as he said that I felt he mis-spoke. I think he meant to say building a team vs just collection of individual talents

Seymour not in the top three?

It's possible he beats Wright for the starting boundary job opposite White. I don't think he's a good enough athlete or tackler to play the slot.

Char Wright in the starting line up? Hoping he plays better in this scheme than last years. Did he Ravens run a lot of man coverage? Just keep it in front of you...

Didn't see enough of Baltimore in 2016 to speak in great detail, but for me, Wright is a great fit for what McDermott appears to want. He's the long-limbed, physical type that plays with some aggression.

I think Seymour absolutely top 3. He's battling I believe for the outside corner spot next to White. I think the "loser" is our nickel corner. Playing time will be a lot regardless.

I don't see either Wright or Seymour playing the slot. I mean, it's possible that the coaches feel that Seymour can play there, but to me, I don't see it.

It's possible he beats Wright for the starting boundary job opposite White. I don't think he's a good enough athlete or tackler to play the slot.

I don't see either Wright or Seymour playing the slot. I mean, it's possible that the coaches feel that Seymour can play there, but to me, I don't see it.

I think he can, especially since he played slot last year in place of Robey and I think he played well.

I forgot to mention Gaines. Once he gets a little more acclimated, I think it comes down to Seymour and Gaines.

I think Wright will eventually just be a back up.

Didn't see enough of Baltimore in 2016 to speak in great detail, but for me, Wright is a great fit for what McDermott appears to want. He's the long-limbed, physical type that plays with some aggression.

Seymour played slot last year and faired well IMO. I think it comes down to Seymour and Johnson with the best man starting outside and the runner up manning the slot

Wright got the nickname "Char-reece" in Baltimore because he was one of the most-torched CBs in the entire league...

Edited by Coach Tuesday

As soon as he said that I felt he mis-spoke. I think he meant to say building a team vs just collection of individual talents

If Rex can coach Buffalo to a .500 record, I believe McD, even in his first year, can do as good or better. That's just my opinion of course.