Jordan Matthews chest injury (update: Sternum chip)

YoloinOhio

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im gonna say this....dont sleep on O'Leary

Going from a guy that I thought was going to be cut this kid has actually become very reliable.

agree. Denison is doing some different things with TEs than Roman/Lynn did. O'Leary is going to contribute and their TEs coach is light years better than it was on Rex's staff. It won't be "over the middle" or nothing with the TEs. Also I think TT's familiarity with clay over the others is going to show. I'm happy with O'Leary's development after a bit of a rocky start to his career. I'm also excited to see Logan Thomas and hope he makes the 53. He has the ability to play a WR/TE hybrid role that could be a big mismatch for defenses. Edited by YoloinOhio

I would agree if not for Tyrod. Regardless of system, he has not shown the ability to find Clay consistently.

Disagree. Tyrod looked for him early and often against Philly. And in last season's Miami game the Tyrod/Clay connection was on fire (8/85/2).

Any update, conclusively, on the injury? I mean, I know he says he'll play, but players always say that.

not from the team. They expect him to be ready, but the only definitive statement will be 9/8 when the injury report comes out. I still expect "questionable" but he will be out there. It sounds like he is ready now, he has a special shirt as well. But they don't want him to risk it by playing today.

not from the team. They expect him to be ready, but the only definitive statement will be 9/8 when the injury report comes out. I still expect "questionable" but he will be out there. It sounds like he is ready now, he has a special shirt as well. But they don't want him to risk it by playing today.

Saint Doug would throw him out there to prove his toughness.

Moron.

Disagree. Tyrod looked for him early and often against Philly. And in last season's Miami game the Tyrod/Clay connection was on fire (8/85/2).

Right, which is why I said consistently.

Clay is a real matchup problem, and he's awesome with the ball in his hands. Hopefully we can use him to his potential.

If by "Not good" you mean right inline with the average NFL receiver, then I agree.

See below...

They're not good.

The only WRs that had a higher drop percentage on the same/higher number of targets were Brandon Marshall and Michael Crabtree.

In fact, of the 48 players that had over 100 targets in 2016, Matthews is one of only 6 with a drop percentage that high.

Is that the best you can come up with? A comparison to a hobbled Sammy who played in only eight games. Weak point Doc.

It isn't. The offense last year was 7th in points (before the last game where they started EJ) despite Sammy missing half the season, getting 430 yards and 2 TD's. You double (to account for a full season) and it's 860 yards for 4 TD's. I think Matthews can easily produce that for the Bills.

i think they are going to give him an extension. He's a perfect fit for the WCO and the culture. But he's a #2 WR at best so they are likely hoping Zay develops into a #1. This year I predict Clay will lead the team in targets.

Possibly. Depends on his production and what he's looking for. I agree with the article that he's not worth a lot of money.

It isn't. The offense last year was 7th in points (before the last game where they started EJ) despite Sammy missing half the season, getting 430 yards and 2 TD's. You double (to account for a full season) and it's 860 yards for 4 TD's. I think Matthews can easily produce that for the Bills.

Possibly. Depends on his production and what he's looking for. I agree with the article that he's not worth a lot of money.

depends on the value he brings to the team, and factor in the little amount they have allocated to the WR group as a whole right now. No decisions need to be made now, but I would expect them to be very open to it vs looking at him as a 1 year rental. I think they will watch him play at least 1/2 season in the offense and then start the conversations with the agent or not. Given the expectation that they will be drafting their future QB this year, he would be a good WR to have for development in the WCO. Edited by YoloinOhio

A more honest way would have been to look at Sammy's 1st two seasons of production as a comparison of any projection for Matthews.

Im gonna say this....dont sleep on O'Leary

Going from a guy that I thought was going to be cut this kid has actually become very reliable.

I think he's gonna be a good,clutch catch contributor. Didn't he win the best TE in college award?...I forget the name of it. I may be the only one with this opinion, but I feel pretty good about our receiving weapons. Two good pass catching backs, two good tight ends, Matthews and Jones. I think Reilly will be our next. but better version of Chris Hogan with Streeter helping out.

The only problem I see is the old tired saying about Tyrod having time to build chemistry. I'm sure Nate could find them all.

Edited by billsredneck1

He had drop issues at Vanderbilt and was known to be a body catcher. That might actually explain why he sustained a chip fracture of his sternum.

My nephew was at Vanderbilt when Matthews was there, I watched some of their games, my brother watched alll of them. When trade happened my brother sent me this message, "all he did was catch first down and TD passes"

I thought he had an avulsion fracture? It's that kind of fracture caused by ligament or tendon pulling away a piece of bone? Not caused by impact.

Edited by chris heff

depends on the value he brings to the team, and factor in the little amount they have allocated to the WR group as a whole right now. No decisions need to be made now, but I would expect them to be very open to it vs looking at him as a 1 year rental. I think they will watch him play at least 1/2 season in the offense and then start the conversations with the agent or not. Given the expectation that they will be drafting their future QB this year, he would be a good WR to have for development in the WCO.

I can see them starting the conversation if he does well, but I would be surprised if they signed him to a long-term deal, because I think he'll be looking for more than they want to give him. And I'm sure they figure they'll probably use one of their left over top-100 draft picks on a WR, who will be far cheaper and under contract for 4 years.

A more honest way would have been to look at Sammy's 1st two seasons of production as a comparison of any projection for Matthews.

OK. Sammy averaged a little over 1,000 yards and 7 TD's his first 2 years. I'm not even asking for that much. Again, I'll be fine with 860 yards and 4 TD's.