Character & Jordan Matthews

Doesn't matter. Matthews, Gaines, Boldin are the kind of character guys this admin is bringing in.

All 3 in the final year of their contracts. If we have another mediocre season, why would someone like Matthews, who will likely be in demand, stay in Buffalo?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sick of hearing about character. This is football.....can't have 53 really nice guys on the team

But you can win with a guy who leads by example....

The example of being on the field, producing and roughing it out through the inevitable injuries that this game brings.

Something SW couldn't do

sick of hearing about character. This is football.....can't have 53 really nice guys on the team

You are misunderstanding the character that they are talking about. They are talking about dedicated, smart, hard working team oriented players that do have talent - maybe not quite as much talent as some less dedicated players, but not a wide gap. Nobody said anything about nice.

I like the type of team that they are trying to establish - it should set them up well if they finally can find a top 1/3 of the league QB.

Jauron's 7-9 finishes might look better after this season.

Those teams had very little talent. Rex and McBeane have inherited talented teams and are destroying them.

Or you could look at the 7-9 Jauron years from a different angle. We were able to go 7-9 with a team complete void of talent. During the Whaley years we went 7-9 with teams loaded up on talent. Jauron's teams could be viewed as overachievers while Whaley's teams could be viewed as talented yet lazy teams.

We have a difference in approach. My character team is jacked and nasty. They are fit. They will wreck your hungover, club-going, suspended and preening prima donnas.

Read an article about Zay Jones' Dad Robert - jacked and nasty, but of the highest character. A gamer.

Talent trumps character when talent wants to.

The only way character wins is if talent decides it doesn't matter to them.

Sammy wasn't of bad character in that regard...he wanted to ball out and get paid. He was a hard worker and was with TT working together in the offseason.

All 3 in the final year of their contracts. If we have another mediocre season, why would someone like Matthews, who will likely be in demand, stay in Buffalo?

Because he thinks the coaches, GM, & players are nice guys.

Or you could look at the 7-9 Jauron years from a different angle. We were able to go 7-9 with a team complete void of talent. During the Whaley years we went 7-9 with teams loaded up on talent. Jauron's teams could be viewed as overachievers while Whaley's teams could be viewed as talented yet lazy teams.

Fair but I would counter that the last 2 years were on Rex, who Whaley didn't hire. We had a 9-7 team on the cusp of the playoffs with a ton of talent. And then the Pegulas bought Rex's BS (I did too).

Whaley was completely handcuffed here and he wasn't perfect. But we had as much talent as the Bills have had in a long time. I feel like we are going backwards. I like the picks of White and Jones but they seem more like solid players than gamechangers. Gamechangers aren't easy to find and we just traded one away.

This is how a lot of Eagles fans felt when they trade us Shady. They hate the move and I hate this move.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

But you can win with a guy who leads by example....

The example of being on the field, producing and roughing it out through the inevitable injuries that this game brings.

Something SW couldn't do

Sammy played through injuries. He fractured his foot...you don't "rough it out" through something like that.

Sammy Watkins makes Matthews look like a scrub in comparison. His example brings squat to the table...ask the Eagles how much he was worth. They had to toss in a third rounder to unload him for an average DB in Darby.

You and others are desperately trying to justify a horrible move by this regime, but it will be indefensible when Watkins goes on to a have a brilliant career and Matthews has a pedestrian one.

Sammy played through injuries. He fractured his foot...you don't "rough it out" through something like that.

Sammy Watkins makes Matthews look like a scrub in comparison. His example brings squat to the table...ask the Eagles how much he was worth. They had to toss in a third rounder to unload him for an average DB in Darby.

You and others are desperately trying to justify a horrible move by this regime, but it will be indefensible when Watkins goes on to a have a brilliant career and Matthews has a pedestrian one.

It's such a joke. A bunch of dudes who has never played a sport in their life questioning Sammy's toughness. He rushed back too early with a foot injury (you need your feet as a receiver) and hurt it worse. But he was so tough!

You are misunderstanding the character that they are talking about. They are talking about dedicated, smart, hard working team oriented players that do have talent - maybe not quite as much talent as some less dedicated players, but not a wide gap. Nobody said anything about nice.

I like the type of team that they are trying to establish - it should set them up well if they finally can find a top 1/3 of the league QB.

I get it...how did Watkins and Darby not have football character and how do Matthews and Gaines have more?

I get it...how did Watkins and Darby not have football character and how do Matthews and Gaines have more?

It's BS...plain and simple.

This is all about the new regime choosing their guys and jettisoning more talent in order to have more control of players and the roster.

I would be mortified if we went 7-9 this year.

I had us at 6-10 before these trades and I feel we are about the same.

Rex destroyed a top tier defense.

Last years running game was good but how far did it get us?

Are you one of those guys who accuse others of wanting TT to fail to be right?

Because we moved on a Prima Donna , got something for him, and it remains to be seen if he EVER achieves his " potential". Something you take as a given.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

I'm so sick of the phrase "Buffalo guy." My group of friends want talented players. Talent helps you win. This isn't pop warner or high school football.

I liked Matthews in the draft. He is a solid type of player. I thought he had a good rookie year. But he was bad last year. The Eagles and their fans couldn't wait to upgrade at receiver. He is a #2 at best.

Let's bury the "Buffalo guy" term. Because the "Buffalo guy" loses more often than not at pro sports.

And "Buffalo Guys" often move away for better opportunities, so why should Bills players be any different?

The difference is that Levy had no clue how to run a front office and Jauron knew nothing about offense. The FO and coaching staff that we have now are veteran FO guys and veteran coordinators. World of difference.

Huh? McDermott and Beane are first timers.