Nate Peterman Love .. anyone vs. 2018 QB draft??

Just read this article on the two bills drive this AM .. .guess Chuckie kind of likes Nate too

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/08/what_jon_gruden_had_to_say_about_buffalo_bills_qb_nathan_peterman.html

"You know the cool thing about the Gruden QB Camp show that we have is I get a chance to spend a whole day and sometimes two days with these guys," Gruden said Wednesday. "We've had almost 60 shows in the last several years. To make a long story short, I really felt that Nate Peterman was very similar to Andy Dalton coming out of TCU. Similar size, similar personalities. Athletic guys that can throw the ball. Team guys, leaders. There's a lot of intangibles I see in Peterman that I felt Dalton had. When I watch the tape in the preseason, I see a young Andy Dalton.

He's making accurate throws. He has anticipation and touch. He can handle a lot of offense. He played in two colleges. We said that during the show. This man knows the game. He loves the game, and it shows in the way he performs."

Peterman has impressed during the preseason, and with Tyrod Taylor and T.J. Yates both in concussion protocol, there's a chance the rookie could open the season as the starter. Some have wondered whether he's a better fit for Rick Dennison's version of the west coast offense than Tyrod Taylor is. Gruden doesn't think the offense matters for a guy like Peterman.

"I don't know what offense they're running in Buffalo," Gruden said. "I don't know what the 'west coast' is anymore, but whatever offense you want to run, Peterman can run it. He's athletic. He can run the read option and he can handle a lot of football. He's a mature young man. I think he's going to be a starter in the NFL whether it's in Buffalo or some place in the next year or so."

Gruden also said if he were coaching, he would put a rookie quarterback in the fire to learn, because there aren't enough reps in practice to see what you have. If a player is ready to handle it mentally, the bumps that come with starting as a rookie should be no problem.

Holy Crap ... an NFL Super Bowl winning coach .. agreeing with how Nate is looking ... shocking.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read this article on the two bills drive this AM .. .guess Chuckie kind of likes Nate too

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/08/what_jon_gruden_had_to_say_about_buffalo_bills_qb_nathan_peterman.html

"You know the cool thing about the Gruden QB Camp show that we have is I get a chance to spend a whole day and sometimes two days with these guys," Gruden said Wednesday. "We've had almost 60 shows in the last several years. To make a long story short, I really felt that Nate Peterman was very similar to Andy Dalton coming out of TCU. Similar size, similar personalities. Athletic guys that can throw the ball. Team guys, leaders. There's a lot of intangibles I see in Peterman that I felt Dalton had. When I watch the tape in the preseason, I see a young Andy Dalton.

He's making accurate throws. He has anticipation and touch. He can handle a lot of offense. He played in two colleges. We said that during the show. This man knows the game. He loves the game, and it shows in the way he performs."

Peterman has impressed during the preseason, and with Tyrod Taylor and T.J. Yates both in concussion protocol, there's a chance the rookie could open the season as the starter. Some have wondered whether he's a better fit for Rick Dennison's version of the west coast offense than Tyrod Taylor is. Gruden doesn't think the offense matters for a guy like Peterman.

"I don't know what offense they're running in Buffalo," Gruden said. "I don't know what the 'west coast' is anymore, but whatever offense you want to run, Peterman can run it. He's athletic. He can run the read option and he can handle a lot of football. He's a mature young man. I think he's going to be a starter in the NFL whether it's in Buffalo or some place in the next year or so."

Gruden also said if he were coaching, he would put a rookie quarterback in the fire to learn, because there aren't enough reps in practice to see what you have. If a player is ready to handle it mentally, the bumps that come with starting as a rookie should be no problem.

Holy Crap ... an NFL Super Bowl winning coach .. agreeing with how Nate is looking ... shocking.

LOL Guess you don't know that Gruden loves every QB.

26 CB ... as it relates to Nate .. when Bandit references the last two years of Tyrod .. what else is at my disposal .. its not like Nate has 3 years in the NFL ... the only point is we are seeing some positives in Nate's work and if no one has watched it .... just youtube the Clemson game (#2 in the nation at the time) in what is a very hostile environment ..the kid rocked it. You can't take that away from him.

See above ... my only other question .. Bandit ... vs. the spectrum of today's NFL QB's ... your down in the 4th quarter ... you need to win the game ... where would you rank Tyrod. For me .. he's in the bottom half of the league ... his 4th quarter stats clearly show this ... my point is .. if he can't lead the team back (with play or leadership/inspiration) .. say what you will about Brady .. but he doesn't let his guys screw up ... I say we keep looking to improve the position.

So as an olive branch .. yes TODAY ... Tyrod is better than Nate due to his NFL experience..but we know his ceiling .. since this is likely (unfortunately) a non playoff year ... why don't we test drive another option .. so we know what we have for the 2018 draft .. we know what we have in Tyrod.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/fourth-quarter-quarterback-rating/2016/

Rank QBRat > QBRat 4Q
Buffalo
# 20 86.7 81.4

the 2015 season

# 8 95.6 100.5

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

LOL Guess you don't know that Gruden loves every QB.

Yes I know Gruden QB camp is a "for profit" for Chuckie ... he's not there to bash them ... it's for TV entertainment ... that said ... I'd rather read more positive comments after the TV show ... I don't think Gruden is making up stuff when asked ..he's indicating what he likes ... you can continue with your glass is half empty ... love for Tyrod logic .. I'll press forward with hope for the future ... if you stand for the status quo (i.e. - Tyrod) and no playoffs.. .you will not grow ... enjoy Tyrod's work as he appears to be the savior for both you and Bandit.

Just curious ... how many games do you think the Bills win in 2017 with Tyrod at the helm this year ... then how many if the earth stopped rotating and we put Nate in?

Yes I know Gruden QB camp is a "for profit" for Chuckie ... he's not there to bash them ... it's for TV entertainment ... that said ... I'd rather read more positive comments after the TV show ... I don't think Gruden is making up stuff when asked ..he's indicating what he likes ... you can continue with your glass is half empty ... love for Tyrod logic .. I'll press forward with hope for the future ... if you stand for the status quo (i.e. - Tyrod) and no playoffs.. .you will not grow ... enjoy Tyrod's work as he appears to be the savior for both you and Bandit.

Just curious ... how many games do you think the Bills win in 2017 with Tyrod at the helm this year ... then how many if the earth stopped rotating and we put Nate in?

You haven't been paying attention if you're posting that I think Tyrod is a savior or I have "love" for him. Acquisition of a potential franchise QB in 2018 is where I'm at. In the interim, I believe Tyrod Taylor is the best QB on the team at this juncture. It's as simple as that.

How many games they win? I really have know idea at this point with so many question marks on the offensive line and in the WR group. IMO the defensive unit offers the most promise this season and will be the strength of the team.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

You haven't been paying attention if you're posting that I think Tyrod is a savior or have "love" for him. Acquisition of a potential franchise QB in 2018 is where I'm at. In the interim, I believe Tyrod Taylor is the best QB on the team at this juncture. It's as simple as that.

How many games they win? I really have know idea at this point with so many question marks on the offensive line and in the WR group. IMO the defensive unit offers the most promise this season and will be the strength of the team.

Last 2 years aside, why would you think that based on what you have seen this preseason? Curious as to your thoughts.

See above ... my only other question .. Bandit ... vs. the spectrum of today's NFL QB's ... your down in the 4th quarter ... you need to win the game ... where would you rank Tyrod. For me .. he's in the bottom half of the league ... his 4th quarter stats clearly show this ... my point is .. if he can't lead the team back (with play or leadership/inspiration) .. say what you will about Brady .. but he doesn't let his guys screw up ... I say we keep looking to improve the position.

So as an olive branch .. yes TODAY ... Tyrod is better than Nate due to his NFL experience..but we know his ceiling .. since this is likely (unfortunately) a non playoff year ... why don't we test drive another option .. so we know what we have for the 2018 draft .. we know what we have in Tyrod.

Well, as I've said, I think tying one's opinion about Peterman to one's opinion about Tyrod is misplaced in this discussion.

As to your question, I think you're being kind with regard to Tyrod's comeback ability. He's bottom-third easily, perhaps even bottom-5. Again though, that's irrespective of Peterman IMO.

No need for an olive branch; no animosity whatsoever (on my side anyway :pirate: ).

My main reason for not starting Peterman over Tyrod when healthy is that I believe that a rookie should have to earn the starting role. Tyrod came into the preseason as the unquestioned starter, and while he's struggled since Watkins' exit (along with the rest of the starting offense), Peterman hasn't exactly played the type of Russell-Wilson-in-the-2012-preseason lights-out football that a rookie should be playing against 2's and 3's to wrest the job from an established starter. The ancillary reasons I have for going with Tyrod include (a) I want to see what guys like Zay Jones and Jordan Matthews can do in this offense, and I think Tyrod is more capable of making plays at this stage of his career, and (b) I simply don't see a guy in Peterman that's ready to play competitive football against 1st-string NFL defenses when the bullets start flying.

Hope that clears things up.

PS--I appreciate that you bring up good talking points in a well-reasoned manner.

Edited by thebandit27

Well, as I've said, I think tying one's opinion about Peterman to one's opinion about Tyrod is misplaced in this discussion.

As to your question, I think you're being kind with regard to Tyrod's comeback ability. He's bottom-third easily, perhaps even bottom-5. Again though, that's irrespective of Peterman IMO.

No need for an olive branch; no animosity whatsoever (on my side anyway :pirate: ).

My main reason for not starting Peterman over Tyrod when healthy is that I believe that a rookie should have to earn the starting role. Tyrod came into the preseason as the unquestioned starter, and while he's struggled since Watkins' exit (along with the rest of the starting offense), Peterman hasn't exactly played the type of Russell-Wilson-in-the-2012-preseason lights-out football that a rookie should be playing against 2's and 3's to wrest the job from an established starter. The ancillary reasons I have for going with Tyrod include (a) I want to see what guys like Zay Jones and Jordan Matthews can do in this offense, and I think Tyrod is more capable of making plays at this stage of his career, and (b) I simply don't see a guy in Peterman that's ready to play competitive football against 1st-string NFL defenses when the bullets start flying.

Hope that clears things up.

PS--I appreciate that you bring up good talking points in a well-reasoned manner.

If taylor could make all the throws and if he was more than a 1 read and run QB an if the offense is more than what we've seen so far, and if the O line grows a set taylor makes more sense. That's a lot of "if"s. No QB plays in a perfect world. I want the guy who overcomes adversity when the deck is stacked against him. Taylor hasn't shown me he can do that and at this point neither has Nate, but he has shown enough to think there's hope. We'll never know what the kid has if he's on the bench.

If taylor could make all the throws and if he was more than a 1 read and run QB an if the offense is more than what we've seen so far, and if the O line grows a set taylor makes more sense. That's a lot of "if"s. No QB plays in a perfect world. I want the guy who overcomes adversity when the deck is stacked against him. Taylor hasn't shown me he can do that and at this point neither has Nate, but he has shown enough to think there's hope. We'll never know what the kid has if he's on the bench.

Actually, at least 2 of the 3 "ifs" you mention here aren't exactly accurate.

1) Taylor is not a "1 read and run" QB. Read this:

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2016/09/30/buffalo-bills-film-study-levels/

2) I'm certain that the offense will have more to it than what we've seen in the preseason, but since that can be argued as conjecture to this point, I'll toss this one to the side

3) If the OL isn't very good, does it make more sense to play the guy that's shown in the past that he can extend plays and hurt defenses down the field, or the guy that's significantly less mobile?

Look, I understand the idea about "let's find out about Nate". You have the kid under contract for 4 years, so there's no hurry. Unless he absolutely sets the world on fire in the regular season (which would be unbelievable considering he's done nothing remotely close to that against 2's and 3's in the preseason), then you're still drafting a QB with your top pick next year.

Matt Ryan has nothing to do with it.

Why not? Hokie's point is that Ryan's an established starter (like Tyrod), playing in a new offense (like Tyrod), and he hasn't performed--by the numbers--as well as Peterman this preseason (like Tyrod).

2) I'm certain that the offense will have more to it than what we've seen in the preseason, but since that can be argued as conjecture to this point, I'll toss this one to the side

3) If the OL isn't very good, does it make more sense to play the guy that's shown in the past that he can extend plays and hurt defenses down the field, or the guy that's significantly less mobile?

Look, I understand the idea about "let's find out about Nate". You have the kid under contract for 4 years, so there's no hurry. Unless he absolutely sets the world on fire in the regular season (which would be unbelievable considering he's done nothing remotely close to that against 2's and 3's in the preseason), then you're still drafting a QB with your top pick next year.

Why not? Hokie's point is that Ryan's an established starter (like Tyrod), playing in a new offense (like Tyrod), and he hasn't performed--by the numbers--as well as Peterman this preseason (like Tyrod).

Which pretty much shows that pre season means nothing. Esp. tonights game. what a waste of time.

Points well made and conceded, with the following caveat: The O line in that clip (for whatever reason) doesn't exist anymore. I don't think he has that kind of time this year to make his decisions.

Don't care about his point. My point was about Peterman and Taylor, not Ryan. Ryan is irrelivant to my point.

I'll just leave this here. point is not to compare peterman to tebow as much as it's to show gruden seems to be a poor QB evaluator.

Top QB prospects have promise

Jon Gruden ESPN Staff Writer Apr 15, 2010

Tim Tebow

I think Tebow is going to be a tremendous pro.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft10/columns/story?id=5033690

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tim-tebow-1.html

post-26084-0-71699700-1504186456_thumb.jpg

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

Don't care about his point. My point was about Peterman and Taylor, not Ryan. Ryan is irrelivant to my point.

How does it make sense to disregard 29 games of real, actual, regular-season game experience as a starting QB in favor of analyzing a mere 2+ quarters of preseason play? That's the question that Hokie is asking (albeit in a roundabout way by drawing a comparison).

How does it make sense to disregard 29 games of real, actual, regular-season game experience as a starting QB in favor of analyzing a mere 2+ quarters of preseason play? That's the question that Hokie is asking (albeit in a roundabout way by drawing a comparison).

Because he thinks TT was a terrible QB in those 29 games. Which is nonsense, but stats and facts and a slight winning percentage mean nothing to posters like him. They look for anything. Peterman may indeed turn out pretty good, but there is nothing much to base it on yet. pre season means nothing, and he didn't light it up when he was in anyways. I like him, but he's a fifth round rookie.Huge difference when the bullets fly for real.

No chance, the Bills aren't getting all of this draft capital to build around a guy that they passed on like 5 times in the draft. That should tell you how confident they are in him becoming the guy.

What does his draft status has to do with the actual performance ? theres plenty of QB's that have been passed on like 3 , 4 , 5 and yes 6 times , that doesent tell me $hit

I hope the MVPeterman gets a chance to start THIS year !

I could care less what round he was selected , I'm sure as hell rooting for the kid !!!!

OMG, It's like talking to the wall! :wallbash:

Yes, it most certainly is difficult when one person points out obscene logical fallacies and someone with an agenda just says "yeah, but let's ignore those and focus on minutiae that may or may not support my agenda".

Edited by thebandit27

With you, yes it is. A waste of time.

TT was and never will be great, but he did a nice job managing the offense he was in the last two years. He was not the main problem with this team. With a gutted team and a different offense, he probably is not the answer at QB now, but to even consider that a fifth round rookie is from mediocre play in meaningless pre season games is a stretch.The true franchise QB is not on this roster.

I just picked a QB with meh numbers that I knew he wasn't biased against. I didn't even put that much thought into it :lol:

I just picked a QB with meh numbers that I knew he wasn't biased against. I didn't even put that much thought into it :lol:

I understood the point. old school also understood the point; he simply decided that he didn't care about that point because it ran counter to his diatribe...if we don't boil the focus of the discussion down to whether or not Tyrod has looked good this preseason then it doesn't fit the narrative.

If we're only judging by this preseason then Peterman is better than Matt Ryan too. Do you really believe that to be the case?

Wow .. this expands now Tyrod is being compared to Matt Ryan ... Matt Ryan (net of the SB) ... but at least he was there ... can lead a team in the 4th quarter ...Matt Ryan has 25 4th quarter comebacks .. comments from my other posts of my issues with Tyrod in his Bills tenture revolves around this .. I want our QB to rally the troops and lord knows we've had plenty of come from behind opportunities ... see if Tyrod is even on the list below in 4th quarter comebacks. Can Tyrod "manage" the offense yes .. .is he a difference maker when the chips are on the line ... unfortunately history would indicate not. The better quarterbacks have this intangible ... I'm just yet to see it from Tyrod .. hence my stance to keep looking. The scary part of this list below ... is look at the QBs who names are above it .. my point the QB position can drive the difference between playoffs and no playoffs .. we don't have that difference maker starting ... YET.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm

The answer is no as they stop at "3" .. Tyrod had "2". Hell .. Dak a 4th rounder (heaven forbid they ever started him ... somewhat made Romo expendable didn't it) had 5 last year.

Edited by WideRightRevenge

I understood the point. old school also understood the point; he simply decided that he didn't care about that point because it ran counter to his diatribe...if we don't boil the focus of the discussion down to whether or not Tyrod has looked good this preseason then it doesn't fit the narrative.

I asked why, because of what's transpired during the preseason. Simple question. 26 said at this juncture he feels Tyrod is the best QB on the team. Wasn't a question bringing other QBs or other years in, but Jokie felt compelled to try and change the point or divert the subject. Typical when things don't fit.

What does at this juncture mean to you? It means right now, no? Does it mean Matt Ryan to you or Jokie, even though jokie did answer Peteman why throw Ryan in there, he's irrelevant to my point.

Wow .. this expands now Tyrod is being compared to Matt Ryan ... Matt Ryan (net of the SB) ... but at least he was there ... can lead a team in the 4th quarter ...Matt Ryan has 25 4th quarter comebacks .. comments from my other posts of my issues with Tyrod in his Bills tenture revolves around this .. I want our QB to rally the troops and lord knows we've had plenty of come from behind opportunities ... see if Tyrod is even on the list below in 4th quarter comebacks. Can Tyrod "manage" the offense yes .. .is he a difference maker when the chips are on the line ... unfortunately history would indicate not. The better quarterbacks have this intangible ... I'm just yet to see it from Tyrod .. hence my stance to keep looking. The scary part of this list below ... is look at the QBs who names are above it .. my point the QB position can drive the difference between playoffs and no playoffs .. we don't have that difference maker starting ... YET.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm

The answer is no as they stop at "3" .. Tyrod had "2". Hell .. Dak a 4th rounder (heaven forbid they ever started him ... somewhat made Romo expendable didn't it) had 5 last year.

No, I compared Peterman to Matt Ryan based solely on this preseason. Not the parameters I would use, but I was just following the conversation. I didn't even mention Tyrod in my post.

We've already been over the validity (or lack thereof) of comebacks as a standalone stat, but just to apply it to the context of the actual discussion in this topic Peterman has 0.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

No, I compared Peterman to Matt Ryan based solely on this preseason. Not the parameters I would use, but I was just following the conversation. I didn't even mention Tyrod in my post.

We've already been over the validity (or lack thereof) of comebacks as a standalone stat, but just to apply it to the context of the actual discussion in this topic Peterman has 0.

No you absolutely were not. Maybe you should go back and reread.

No you absolutely were not. Maybe you should go back and reread.

Okay, what did you mean by the following?

Last 2 years aside, why would you think that based on what you have seen this preseason? Curious as to your thoughts.

Because to me it reads that you would like to compare the QBs based on this preseason alone. I can guarantee you that 26's opinion on Tyrod vs Peterman is based on more than this preseason.

This convo is like a bad golf swing

all discussions are shanked left or right.

the criteria THIS PRESEASON and nothing else

Taylor has struggled. Fair assessment

Peterman looks good for a rookie thus far. Fair assessment

passing % TT ~ 50%

passing % NP ~ 50%

I know right.

Others trying to add criteria about Matt Ryan or Tyrods last 2 years into a only this years current preseason evaluation of the Bills QBs is absurd.

This convo is like a bad golf swing

all discussions are shanked left or right.

the criteria THIS PRESEASON and nothing else

Taylor has struggled. Fair assessment

Peterman looks good for a rookie thus far. Fair assessment

passing % TT ~ 50%

passing % NP ~ 50%

WGAS?!? It's preseason.

I know right.

Others trying to add criteria about Matt Ryan or Tyrods last 2 years into a only this years current preseason evaluation of the Bills QBs is absurd.

I guess I just don't see the point. Nobody making actual decisions is going to ignore a player's NFL body of work if it is available.

I guess I just don't see the point. Nobody making actual decisions is going to ignore a player's NFL body of work if it is available.

That you have to re-state the truth of this point for the bajillionth time because it's being fully ignored is utter lunacy

I'll give him some "like," but it's too early to anoint Peterman our franchise QB. Let's see if he gets a chance to play some in the regular season and watch how he does. I'll also be watching draft preparations. It's looking like there may be a number of decent QBs in the draft if we need to go in that direction, and a few risky picks too.

Not only ignore their actually body of work, instead choose to look at preseason play instead.

Edited by Wayne Cubed