Nate Peterman Love .. anyone vs. 2018 QB draft??

The game should have been over after the great Julio Jones catch. Run the ball with the clock as your ally and the game is over. I have no idea what Shanahan was thinking about.

The game should have been over at 28-3.

I don't know what Shanahan was thinking about either but still...you have to put a lot of blame on that defense and some on the offense for disappearing in the 2nd half.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game should have been over at 28-3.

I don't know what Shanahan was thinking about either but still...you have to put a lot of blame on that defense and some on the offense for disappearing in the 2nd half.

You can only shut down Brady for so long, but why give him more opportunities by keeping the ball in the air?

You can only shut down Brady for so long, but why give him more opportunities by keeping the ball in the air?

Again...Shanahan was being an idiot and agree with you there.

I know you can only shut down Brady for so long but 31 points in 18 minutes of football is ridiculous. Doesn't matter if it's Brady, Manning, Farve, Elway, Montana etc...31 ppg scoring average is a great average in a 60 minute game (in fact it would be around 15th all time)....the Falcons defense gave that up in a fraction of that.

Not only that, 2 - 2 point conversions they had to get. Stop one conversion and the game is over.

Edited by Teeflebees

Again...Shanahan was being an idiot and agree with you there.

I know you can only shut down Brady for so long but 31 points in 18 minutes of football is ridiculous. Doesn't matter if it's Brady, Manning, Farve, Elway, Montana etc...31 ppg scoring average is a great average in a 60 minute game (in fact it would be around 15th all time)....the Falcons defense gave that up in a fraction of that.

Not only that, 2 - 2 point conversions they had to get. Stop one conversion and the game is over.

Hey. It happens. Ask the Oliers about that when the Bills were down 35-3 in the comeback game.

They were winning in the air, they abandoned it in the 2nd half. Shanny thought he knew better.

That game was so reminiscent of the Chiefs loss in 15 and the Raiders loss in 16.

You make haftime adjustments to correct what doesn't work.

Both the Seahawks and Falcons gifted the Patriots a SB win by not running the ball as I'm sure you already know.

If you want to take this a step further, John Kasey of the Panthers kicked the ball out of bounds before the last drive of the Pats....put them in great field position to kick the FG to win it. They've been gifted 3 Super Bowls.

Again (and for the final time in this thread), the point is that Tyrod's middling work in 29 regular-season games should supersede Peterman's middling work against 2's and 3's in the preseason.

Yes, we likely have seen Tyrod's ceiling; can you honestly say that his limitations are the reason that this team did not make the playoffs in 2015 or 2016? I don't think anyone would say that.

Why not let Peterman start? I can think of 2 reasons: (1) the staff may feel (as I do) that he isn't ready, and (2) if you want to find out about your playmakers and their ability, your best bet is to put the guy out there that gives them the best chance to make plays; right now, that's Tyrod.

Bandit .. I took your challenge and quoted pre=season stats ...now your flipping the discussion back to Tyrod's 29 games ... your quoting offensive stats but thats run oriented .. yes as established by head coach and OC .. and Tyrod pads those stats as well with his legs .. so help me with how Tyrod has in his two years has helped us find out about our "playmakers" in the WR / TE position ... do you really think they played a lot of nickel/dime coverage on 1st and 2nd downs against us the last two years? My only point is we would all agree after all these years we are mediocre at best ... if you want to use the same ingredients and be mediocre again ... we can start with Tyrod ... but if he goes 2-3 games with a 27 rating ... then my preference is .. throw in the Rook and hopefully get more of a passing threat in the game.

But if you want to look into 2016 stats .. I'll take Nate Peterman stat line last year .. AT CLEMSON ... 22-37 .. 308 Yards ... 5 TDs .. zero INTs .. in the biggest road game for him on the year hostile environment ... that's one game .. Tyrod's 2016 Road Game TD total for 2016 .... 5. Yep 5 (granted he had 3 rushing TD's in those games) .. but that's what we have RB's for.

Bandit .. I took your challenge and quoted pre=season stats ...now your flipping the discussion back to Tyrod's 29 games ... your quoting offensive stats but thats run oriented .. yes as established by head coach and OC .. and Tyrod pads those stats as well with his legs .. so help me with how Tyrod has in his two years has helped us find out about our "playmakers" in the WR / TE position ... do you really think they played a lot of nickel/dime coverage on 1st and 2nd downs against us the last two years? My only point is we would all agree after all these years we are mediocre at best ... if you want to use the same ingredients and be mediocre again ... we can start with Tyrod ... but if he goes 2-3 games with a 27 rating ... then my preference is .. throw in the Rook and hopefully get more of a passing threat in the game.

But if you want to look into 2016 stats .. I'll take Nate Peterman stat line last year .. AT CLEMSON ... 22-37 .. 308 Yards ... 5 TDs .. zero INTs .. in the biggest road game for him on the year hostile environment ... that's one game .. Tyrod's 2016 Road Game TD total for 2016 .... 5. Yep 5 (granted he had 3 rushing TD's in those games) .. but that's what we have RB's for.

I've watched that game half a dozen times and see the same thing from Peterman we've seen all preseason. The kid's not a fluke.

You're using NFL preseason and NCAA stats in one game as proof of Peterman's NFL readiness?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

If you want to take this a step further, John Kasey of the Panthers kicked the ball out of bounds before the last drive of the Pats....put them in great field position to kick the FG to win it. They've been gifted 3 Super Bowls.

I'm gonna disagree on this. The Beast was abysmal at short yardage (3rd or 4th down with 2 yards or less to get) that year. the problem was not the play call, but the execution. Russell Wilson tipped off Buttler. Buttler says they came out of the huddle and Wilson was signaling something to Baldwin (or whoever it was). And looked over again before the snap. he wouldn't be doing that if it was a run up the gut so he was looking for it. It was also horrible execution on the WRs. Hawks lost that one due to poor execution.

Russell Wilson was like the dog that's bad at poker. Every time he gets a good hand, he wags his tail.

Edited by reddogblitz

I'm gonna disagree on this. The Beast was abysmal at short yardage (3rd or 4th down with 2 yards or less to get) that year. the problem was not the play call, but the execution. Russell Wilson tipped off Buttler. Buttler says they came out of the huddle and Wilson was signaling something to Baldwin (or whoever it was). And looked over again before the snap. he wouldn't be doing that if it was a run up the gut so he was looking for it. It was also horrible execution on the WRs. Hawks lost that one due to poor execution.

Russell Wilson was like the dog that's bad at poker. Every time he gets a good hand, he wags his tail.

The play call stunk. I hate harping on playcalling usually because it's overrated , but this was simply a no brainer. Collinsworth said it best after the bizarre decision. From the one? You give it to Marshawn 3 times and if the defense can stop you, well god bless 'em

Tyrod pads those stats as well with his legs .. so help me with how Tyrod has in his two years has helped us find out about our "playmakers" in the WR / TE position ...

Hotrod made Sammy and Harvin look pretty darn good with the passes he delivered to them. He also hit Woods in the hands on quite a few passes some of which he dropped.

Nasty Nate is just not accurate or consistent enough yet. Half of his passes look Canton worthy while other half look bust worthy. He's gonna get somebody killed out here. Against the Ravens I counted 3 EJ to JJ Watt passes the defender luckily didn't catch. Not to mention ducking and chucking into a crowd and just out and out dropping the football.

He's got a lot of work to do.

Again (and for the final time in this thread), the point is that Tyrod's middling work in 29 regular-season games should supersede Peterman's middling work against 2's and 3's in the preseason.

Yes, we likely have seen Tyrod's ceiling; can you honestly say that his limitations are the reason that this team did not make the playoffs in 2015 or 2016? I don't think anyone would say that.

Why not let Peterman start? I can think of 2 reasons: (1) the staff may feel (as I do) that he isn't ready, and (2) if you want to find out about your playmakers and their ability, your best bet is to put the guy out there that gives them the best chance to make plays; right now, that's Tyrod.

We discussed this before so I don't want to belabor the point. I wouldn't be surprised if Peterman is inserted as a starter by the time the second half of the season begins. From everything I have heard about Peterman he is a mature enough person who should be able to handle the pummeling and failures that rookie qbs inevitably experience. I believe that he is strong enough person where we will benefit more in the long run rather than be scarred by playing before he is fully prepared.

With respect to the highlighted segment on TT and his lack of culpability for not making the playoffs the last two years I agree with you that he is not at fault for that failure. But the thing about TT as you astutely acknowledged is that we already know about his limitations and there is no getting beyond that fact. So if this is a roster cleansing year why not make a determination on another qb, Peterman? So when we enter next year's draft we have a sense of what he can do. That would be a good thing to know.

It was at the one yard line with 26 seconds left. You punch that ball in with Lynch or if he was that bad, you sneak it with Russell.

If Tom Brady can go something like 54 straight QB sneak conversions, Wilson can too. You don't put the ball in the air because DB's are just going to be aggressive because they are backed up against a wall. When you have the likes of Max Unger and James Carpenter in the middle opening things up....you use that.

The play call stunk. I hate harping on playcalling usually because it's overrated , but this was simply a no brainer. Collinsworth said it best after the bizarre decision. From the one? You give it to Marshawn 3 times and if the defense can stop you, well god bless 'em

It should have been an option play. Then you have two running threats to deal with.

Hotrod made Sammy and Harvin look pretty darn good with the passes he delivered to them. He also hit Woods in the hands on quite a few passes some of which he dropped.

Nasty Nate is just not accurate or consistent enough yet. Half of his passes look Canton worthy while other half look bust worthy. He's gonna get somebody killed out here. Against the Ravens I counted 3 EJ to JJ Watt passes the defender luckily didn't catch. Not to mention ducking and chucking into a crowd and just out and out dropping the football.

Sure he's accurate enough. As I mentioned, there were 4, arguably 5, dropped passes by his receivers. That pushes his completion percentage to 65 to 69%. As for the 4 passes that were batted down, that's more good DL play than poor play by the QB. And they were similar plays, i.e. designed throws over the head of DL where there is a good possibility of that happening. Perhaps removing those play calls would be in order? And the toss to avoid a sack was ill-advised, but a teaching/learning moment. I doubt he does that again.

Edited by Doc

No, I'm not flipping anything. I played along with old school's silly "name 5 things" challenge, and said that he should really do the same.

I've stated my point over and over, and I won't do it again. I will, however, say that playing well against Clemson means nothing in the NFL. I'd rather take the guy that's done it in the NFL over the guy that's been mediocre in the preseason against backups.

It was at the one yard line with 26 seconds left. You punch that ball in with Lynch or if he was that bad, you sneak it with Russell.

If Tom Brady can go something like 54 straight QB sneak conversions, Wilson can too. You don't put the ball in the air because DB's are just going to be aggressive because they are backed up against a wall. When you have the likes of Max Unger and James Carpenter in the middle opening things up....you use that.

I've said many times that the bigger issue isn't the play call on its face, but rather the implication it had on clock management.

First, you had Belichick not calling a timeout when it was 1st-and-goal with under a minute left, which effectively meant that he was guaranteeing that Brady wouldn't get another shot if Seattle scored. That should've sealed NE's fate, but oh no, Pete Carroll had to one-up Billy Boy.

There'e less than 30 seconds left in the game, and you have the ball on the 1-yard line. Call a run play--or in the very least a play that rolls the QB out--so that in the event you get stopped, you run the clock down to below 15 seconds. That way, you ensure that Brady has no chance even if he does see the field while still giving yourself time to run 2 plays.

It should have been an option play. Then you have two running threats to deal with.

Sure he's accurate enough. As I mentioned, there were 4, arguably 5, dropped passes by his receivers. That pushes his completion percentage to 65 to 69%. As for the 4 passes that were batted down, that's more good DL play than poor play by the QB. And they were similar plays, i.e. designed throws over the head of DL where there is a good possibility of that happening. Perhaps removing those play calls would be in order? And the toss to avoid a sack was ill-advised, but a teaching/learning moment. I doubt he does that again.

Excuses Excuses Excuses. If you take away the drops and the bad blocking and penalties in the Eagles game Hotrod probably turns in a much better performance as well.

As far as his accuracy goes, I haven't seen anything to convince me "he's accurate enough". As a senior at Pitt he threw for 60.46% including all the shovel passes. For college that's not very good. EJ threw for 67.96% his Senior year at Florida St. Although he does make some really nice passes sometimes, his accuracy overall is meager IMHO and not ready to start in the NFL (yet).

He misses way too many easy drive killing passes.

His footwork needs work too. When he steps in and delivers he does much better, but often throws unnecessarily off his back foot or.

Edited by reddogblitz

Excuses Excuses Excuses. If you take away the drops and the bad blocking and penalties in the Eagles game Hotrod probably turns in a much better performance as well.

As far as his accuracy goes, I haven't seen anything to convince me "he's accurate enough". As a senior at Pitt he threw for 60.46% including all the shovel passes. For college that's not very good. EJ threw for 67.96%. Although he does make some really nice passes sometimes, his accuracy overall is meager IMHO and not ready to start in the NFL (yet).

It's not an excuse. If a QB throws a ball to a receiver and he drops it, that's on the receiver. I didn't watch how many passes Tyrod had dropped so I can't comment there. But this isn't about comparing their completion percentages.

As far as his accuracy goes, I haven't seen anything to convince me "he's accurate enough". As a senior at Pitt he threw for 60.46% including all the shovel passes. For college that's not very good. EJ threw for 67.96%. Although he does make some really nice passes sometimes, his accuracy overall is meager IMHO and not ready to start in the NFL (yet).

Luck had a below 60% completion percentage in college.....

I don't think completion percentage is an accurate indicator to see how accurate a QB is....unless it's really bad.

There are many factors that lead to it....type of offense and QB tendencies play a huge part of it.

Sam Bradford had the highest completion percentage of all time last year because he doesn't throw downfield very often.....he's not the most accurate.

It's not an excuse. If a QB throws a ball to a receiver and he drops it, that's on the receiver. I didn't watch how many passes Tyrod had dropped so I can't comment there. But this isn't about comparing their completion percentages.

I don't know how anyone can disagree with this post. It's insane.

Well...... for clarity with the argument at hand ...

If a QB throws a catchable ball to a receiver and he drops it ..... that's on the receiver.

If a QB throws a catchable ball to a receiver and he drops it ..... that's on the receiver.

It's implied, since a receiver can't drop a ball that he didn't get his hands on.

This is all true, but every QB has drops. I remember Mrs. Brady getting into a snit with a fan after a SB over dropped passes. Do we give Fitz credit for a TD pass and comeback win vs Stealers? Do we give Roger Staubach an extra completion and TD credit for hitting Jackie Smith in the numbers in the EZ vs Stealers?

Good QBs can recover from drops by throwing more good passes. We haven't had anyone that can do that in a very long time.

Nasty Nate is more like Fitz. He'll put a good one in there from time to time, but you better catch it. It may be a while before the next one.

Edited by reddogblitz

This is all true, but every QB has drops. I remember Mrs. Brady getting into a snit with a fan after a SB over dropped passes. Do we give Fitz credit for a TD pass and comeback win vs Stealers?

Good QBs can recover from drops by throwing more good passes. We haven't had anyone that can do that in a very long time.

We gave him credit for a great throw that should have been a TD and game winner. But we also crucified Stevie for choking.

As for the last part, that's akin to saying calls even out.

It's implied, since a receiver can't drop a ball that he didn't get his hands on.

There needs to be a defined area, a bubble, where we can call it a catchable ball and not just between the #'s. Where a drop is horrible thing to do.

This is all true, but every QB has drops. I remember Mrs. Brady getting into a snit with a fan after a SB over dropped passes. Do we give Fitz credit for a TD pass and comeback win vs Stealers? Do we give Roger Staubach an extra completion and TD credit for hitting Jackie Smith in the numbers in the EZ vs Stealers?

Nasty Nate is more like Fitz. He'll put a good one in there from time to time, but you better catch it. It may be a while before the next one.

Agreed - Good QBs can recover from drops by throwing more good passes. We just don't see "more good passes" from TT.

You're using NFL preseason and NCAA stats in one game as proof of Peterman's NFL readiness?

26 CB ... as it relates to Nate .. when Bandit references the last two years of Tyrod .. what else is at my disposal .. its not like Nate has 3 years in the NFL ... the only point is we are seeing some positives in Nate's work and if no one has watched it .... just youtube the Clemson game (#2 in the nation at the time) in what is a very hostile environment ..the kid rocked it. You can't take that away from him.

No, I'm not flipping anything. I played along with old school's silly "name 5 things" challenge, and said that he should really do the same.

I've stated my point over and over, and I won't do it again. I will, however, say that playing well against Clemson means nothing in the NFL. I'd rather take the guy that's done it in the NFL over the guy that's been mediocre in the preseason against backups.

See above ... my only other question .. Bandit ... vs. the spectrum of today's NFL QB's ... your down in the 4th quarter ... you need to win the game ... where would you rank Tyrod. For me .. he's in the bottom half of the league ... his 4th quarter stats clearly show this ... my point is .. if he can't lead the team back (with play or leadership/inspiration) .. say what you will about Brady .. but he doesn't let his guys screw up ... I say we keep looking to improve the position.

So as an olive branch .. yes TODAY ... Tyrod is better than Nate due to his NFL experience..but we know his ceiling .. since this is likely (unfortunately) a non playoff year ... why don't we test drive another option .. so we know what we have for the 2018 draft .. we know what we have in Tyrod.