Go on record regarding the trades

Thoughts on the trades  

470 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like the moves today?

I understand that man. But it ain't "throwing in the towel"

Yes. It is.

If Steelers made that trade and sent Antonio Brown to the Rams what would you think of the Steelers aspirations for 2017? Try to be objective. Beane made the 2017 Bills worse and he was aware that he was doing it.

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. It is.

If Steelers made that trade and sent Antonio Brown to the Rams what would you think of the Steelers aspirations for 2017? Try to be objective. Beane made the 2017 Bills worse and he was aware that he was doing it.

Making a trade that makes the short-term a little worse is not "throwing in the towel".

throw in the towel, Informal. to concede defeat; give up; yield:

Making your team marginally worse in the short-term is not the same as conceding, giving up or yielding.

Sorry, making your team from a potentially 8-8 team to a 6-10 team is not the end of the world. :lol:

I'm not so sure,

Lets see If the Bills are done trading,

Well, if they make more trades and ship off more stars, then my opinion may change. Until then, picking up Boldin and Matthews who have proven to be durable which will essentially be 2 of our 3 starters on the field and losing one super dynamic who is often injured, is not that big of a downgrade.

I haven't read through the numerous threads and posts on the topic but have to say "Yes". I'm not a big fan of ESPN.com these days but generally find Bill Barnwell's columns insightful and agree with his assessment of the trade (I'm sure most of you have seen this already and apologize if this is stale).

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20313763/winners-losers-buffalo-bills-los-angeles-rams-philadelphia-eagles-mega-trades-sammy-watkins-jordan-matthews-ronald-darby

Making a trade that makes the short-term a little worse is not "throwing in the towel".

Making your team marginally worse in the short-term is not the same as conceding, giving up or yielding.

Sorry, making your team from a potentially 8-8 team to a 6-10 team is not the end of the world. :lol:

Well, if they make more trades and ship off more stars, then my opinion may change. Until then, picking up Boldin and Matthews who have proven to be durable which will essentially be 2 of our 3 starters on the field and losing one super dynamic who is often injured, is not that big of a downgrade.

I can agree with that

Ditching your most talented player for a horrible corner does not make you "a little worse". The pick wont arrive for a year.

Edited by 4merper4mer

I had pretty much the same thought when I first learned of the trades.

But here's the issue. Winning teams have a few standout players with a bunch of JAGs. You can get JAGs anywhere. It's the standouts who define your team.

Both Watkins and Darby have the potential to be standout players. The guys we got combined with the draft picks we'll get just might deliver us four JAGs.

Plus, isn't Gaines more expensive than Darby?

I voted a big fat NO!

The object of building a successful team is to acquire talents like Sammy Watkins. This deal smells and I'm really wondering what the hell is going on.

How many yards per game has Watkins put up in the playoffs? Oops

I personally loved the moves, how anyone can get mad is beyond me, we are gearing up for a franchise QB in 2018 and we'll finally get our wish so cheer up butter cups. I know Watkins was a fan favorite but unfortunately he has never lived up to his hype or draft status, I was wondering why he didn't get his option picked up and now I know, we got Darby's replacement and a high 2nd round pick for him. If you look at both Matthews and Watkins stats side by side without the one sided glasses on they're quite similar plus Matthews is a bit taller. I'm excited for this coming 2018 draft, I think we'll still be competitive but if we aren't it's a win - win situation and we have plenty of ammo to move up the draft if we exceed our expectations also.

Edited by BuffaloBillsGospel

Yes. INitially very pissed. Now like it. Has a lot to do with thinking Pats are a lock this year, and possibly next if Brady still plays. Build for when he is gone

I'm all for that strategy but we better land a franchise quarterback in the next two years once Brady and Belichick retire. It still breaks my heart to see Sammy go cuz I think he's going to be great someday.

Agree. We burned the first bridge by not taking the fifth year. Then we get rid of him for questionable value in return. If they hit home runs in the 2018 Draft I'm sure I'll feel better but right now this sucks. I'm also convinced Sammy will be a Patriot next year.

Questionable value? A second round pick from the Rams is basically a guaranteed top 35-40 pick. Do you really think we could have recouped a first round pick from anyone...even with the fifth year exercised?

Voted yes.

Matthews and Watkins have very similar production. While Watkins is more talented, Matthews is more available and professional.

Darby and Gaines have both been up and down, but hopefully Gaines is a better system fit.

A 2nd and 3rd, on the other hand, are clearly better than a 6th. (Depending on who you draft of course.)

I'm split. I love the draft picks ups but our current depth chart took a big hit. Jordan Matthews has a ton of flaws in his game and will never, ever, ever possess anything near the upside of Sammy, and Darby's one year removed from being a complete revelation. I get that he might not fit the current defense but EJ Gaines was horrible last year. We've lost both of our starting corners and arguably the most talented wide receiver the organization has ever seen. I feel like we're just going to see a slow plodding offense coupled with a defense that gets torched on its way to 4-12. It's hard to get excited right now despite the ridiculous draft haul for next year, and it's August, I frankly don't give a **** about next year right now.

Voted yes.

Matthews and Watkins have very similar production. While Watkins is more talented, Matthews is more available and professional.

Darby and Gaines have both been up and down, but hopefully Gaines is a better system fit.

A 2nd and 3rd, on the other hand, are clearly better than a 6th. (Depending on who you draft of course.)

Jordan Matthews: average but with professional foot bones.