Thoughts on the trades  

470 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like the moves today?

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say no.

To evaluate the Watkins trade, I think back to the baffling decision to not exercise his option. If Watkins had his 5th year on his deal, we would've gotten more for him, as we would've been trading a longer rental.

The Bills tanked Watkins' value by not exercising it. Then sold low. Idiotic. I personally thought he was an idiot as a person, but a talented idiot. He was arguably our youngest, best player. The exact player you keep in a rebuild, not sell low to the highest bidder.

Darby on the other hand is different. Still say no, but if he was not having a good camp, couldn't do much in zones, I get it. As a superb athlete 1 year removed from a great year, I still say no, but I get it.

Everything you say is true if we are talking about a relatively healthy Sammy Watkins. I suspect a lot of research was done on athletes who have had his injuries and surgeries and they determined the risk as too great to pick up the option.

Everything you say is true if we are talking about a relatively healthy Sammy Watkins. I suspect a lot of research was done on athletes who have had his injuries and surgeries and they determined the risk as too great to pick up the option.

But they knew other teams didn't care and were interested anyway.

I think that the point is that the option added to his trade value. If you were thinking about dealing him (which they obviously were) it could have fetched a better return.

Yes. The Watkins deal was particularly good. The team was moving on from him after this season and he didn't want to stay here. We got what will almost certainly be a very high 2nd round pick and a CB who showed real potential in 2014 prior to injury in return. That's stealing.

then the trade was necessary, but then the question is, Is it the right decision to move on from him after this season. I say no. We'll see.

That's the odd thing to me. We went from fast to slow pretty quickly. It's going to hurt the running game too. That box will be packed!!

You know my concerns about Tyrod and I know you believe in him more than I do. But this sucks for him. They aren't giving him the best shot to prove himself.

Here is my take - The team has some very bad contracts on the books that they were left with. We also don't have a roster that is capable of competing with the perennial playoff teams like Pitt, GB, NE etc. It's not a total blow-up, but at the same time we need to add talent across the roster at multiple positions. Corner, WR, LB, QB Etc. But we also need to add talent at a cost effective price.

Sammy probably was gone after the year which at best nets you 1 3rd round pick in 2019. We got a 2nd round pick in 2018.

Darby was a good young corner who had ups and downs - but he wasn't a spectacular player by any means. He had a very poor 2016 season.

That's the odd thing to me. We went from fast to slow pretty quickly. It's going to hurt the running game too. That box will be packed!!

Yea but Beane isn't "throwing in the towel" for the season. Don't forget he just signed Anquain Boldin!

He actually said that.

I initially voted no, but then I read a lot of the comments posted and I'm coming to the side of agreeing it was a good trade. I think it's good to get some good value out of Sammy while we could. There's that real fear that he was going to relapse and be out for several weeks with more foot issues. At that time or the end of the season, it would have been too late to deal him. So, if they (Bills brass) decided long ago that Sammy was not in their future plans, then it's the right move. I also do not feel that there is any intent from One Bills Drive to tank. There are still a lot of weapons on this team and the defense looked really good last night. If TT can get the ball to Boldin/ZJones/Dez/Shorts and/or Clay/O'Leary, then I think we are successful. Shady/JWill/Tolbert will continue to pound. I really feel that we can be a threat to NE. Jets are gonna suck and Miami doesn't have a chance with Cutler!

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This trade could be a potential windfall for the Bills or a trade where the Bills outsmart themselves giving teams young talent in exchange for a small return. The trade will make the Bills look like geniuses if 2 things happen. 1- Gaines is a good player for the team and 2- Watkins gets hurt while the Matthews plays all 16 games and is solid.

Gains could end up being a better fit than Darby and while Watkins is undoubtedly the more talented player between him and Matthews, Matthews is the more durable player and a solid player in his own right. The Bills are banking on landing a windfall of draft picks and that Gains will be a better fit than Darby while Matthews over 16 games is more productive than Sammy over a lesser amount.

The trades had to be done. Darby was not a game changer and Watkins might have put up 80 1100 8 which is not worth the franchise tag or the contract he would want. We would've lost both players for nothing and this helps our odds of trading up and getting the guy we want for once and not settling for a QB that drops to us.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu