Super Bowl LII: Patriots or the field?

Patriots or the field?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to bet on the Super Bowl winner, would you take the Pats or the field?

This. Just a matter of odds. What happens if Brady gets hurt week 1? What happens if one of the games they lose is in the playoffs?

Right. It's a tall order to repeat, even if you have the best roster.

And stay away from the Falcons, too. The last time a Super Bowl loser won it all the following year was the '72 Dolphins.

It's a little like the Warriors or the field last year. On the outside it feels like the smart money is on the field. A lot can go wrong. The thing is that there isn't another team close to them at the moment.

Right, but it's much easier for a lucky underdog in the NFL rather than the NBA. One game and you're out.

Edited by OJ's Glove

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. It's a tall order to repeat, even if you have the best roster.

And stay away from the Falcons, too. The last time a Super Bowl loser won it all the following year was the '72 Dolphins.

Right, but it's much easier for a lucky underdog in the NFL rather than the NBA. One game and you're out.

I don't disagree but the Pats (as of now) look like a TD better than anybody. They will have to win 2 playoff games in Foxboro and a neutral site game. I don't see anybody in the AFC even close to them. There are a few teams in the NFC that may be able to scare them but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I don't disagree but the Pats (as of now) look like a TD better than anybody. They will have to win 2 playoff games in Foxboro and a neutral site game. I don't see anybody in the AFC even close to them. There are a few teams in the NFC that may be able to scare them but I wouldn't hold my breath.

You're not wrong. But it's preseason. What if they're decimated by injury like they were in '15? That's what stopped them in Denver, and crippled them in some other years they didn't win, too.

are 6 of their games the bills, fins, jets? then Pats

they need to change that, it's so boring playing the division twice every season. just make it so you play them once so it's more meangingful of a game when they do play

It's a little like the Warriors or the field last year. On the outside it feels like the smart money is on the field. A lot can go wrong. The thing is that there isn't another team close to them at the moment. Of course they can lose but they will be the favorite in every game that they play potentially.

Still, even if you put them at 75% to win each playoff game, you take the field. Around 80% is the tipping point. Think they are over 80% against the best NFC team, and #2 afc team? Maybe? That would be a 13-3 season against only the leagues best.

That it's an interesting conversation speaks volumes though

Even if the "in the know" has the Pats at 30% to win 52 (which is absurdly high), that means they think it's 70% someone else wins it.

Always take the field.

But that's not "assuming Brady stays healthy," which has to be a substantial factor in this.

It's a little like the Warriors or the field last year. On the outside it feels like the smart money is on the field. A lot can go wrong. The thing is that there isn't another team close to them at the moment. Of course they can lose but they will be the favorite in every game that they play potentially.

At least the Warriors had to trek through the west, the AFC looks like a bunch of cupcakes. Who is the biggest challenge? Pitt? We all know how that goes. Unless Luck goes bananas or the Texans D plays like the old Ravens D then I just don't see any competition for them.

At least the Warriors had to trek through the west, the AFC looks like a bunch of cupcakes. Who is the biggest challenge? Pitt? We all know how that goes. Unless Luck goes bananas or the Texans D plays like the old Ravens D then I just don't see any competition for them.

The 2nd best team is Pittsburgh but they seem to have a New England shaped mental block.

After that you are either hoping Carr comes back good as before and can outduel Brady in a shoot out OR Watson manages the game well enough to score some point while the Texans defense puts Brady on his ass a lot.

They are almost a lock to win the AFC.

The 2nd best team is Pittsburgh but they seem to have a New England shaped mental block.

After that you are either hoping Carr comes back good as before and can outduel Brady in a shoot out OR Watson manages the game well enough to score some point while the Texans defense puts Brady on his ass a lot.

They are almost a lock to win the AFC.

Yeah Raiders are a fun team but I don't want to see JDR coaching against BB.

Almost a lock in the AFC is why I would take them over the field. I wouldn't make that bet though because I would rather have less money and cheer against them.

I know it's being bandied about that they'll go undefeated again, but I still maintain that's extremely difficult to do, no matter who you are or how much you cheat.

Just someone else...please.

Edited by BuffaloWings