Let's hope this isn't Greggo II.

Gregory was a drill sergeant , narcissistic A-hole.

McD is not, next

...getting his sorry azz in a pickle at NO with his Bounty Gate crap tells you everything you need to know....still being employed is laughable.....McD would NEVER stoop that low...the lad respects the game and his coaching pedigree....Eagles DC Jim Johnson was one of THE best ever, succumbing to cancer at 68, LONG before his time.................

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be a good topic. Which coach ruined the better defense Rex or Greggo? Both thought their system was superior and couldn't be flexible with the talent on the team. Both were awful.

I believe 2003 defense was top 5...Im pretty sure that was points allowed.. Offense wasnt particularly good

This reminds me of when we got Gregg Williams. He ran the camp like a disciplinarian...he was the hot name in coaching. I bought into his toughness. I was optimistic.

I'm always optimistic. I felt good when we hired Rex. At least we were relevant. But he was such a clown that he ruined a really good defense.

I believe that the Pegs are fully committed to winning. They spent a lot of money on scouts, leadership, the new GM, and all.

I don't know what else they could do besides what they are doing.

So I have a guarded optimism about the team this year. I'm like the puppy who takes off to chase the ball when the owner fakes the toss. I want the ball.

I like this team. no, I love the team.

We're in WNY for a wedding this weekend. We're going to the game Thursday. It's my first game at the stadium since Drew Bledsoe handed off to nobody and we lost to the Patriots. I can't wait to see the boys run on the field.

Sean McDermott is NOT Greg Williams. Not even close. Their personalities are polar opposites of one another. McDermott holds players accountable yes, but he doesn't brow beat them.

Im going to say that its different because McD's coaching tree is different......he brought in a ton of experience....lots of former head hc's

Looks like he actually might know how to delegate down and oversee the entire operation

This is also a different ownership philosophy. There is no way Ralph Wilson would have let Rex hire the number of assistants that he did or let McD hire the names that he did, IMO. Our coaching staff and FO both have a ton of experience despite a first time HC and GM.

This reminds me of when we got Gregg Williams. He ran the camp like a disciplinarian...he was the hot name in coaching. I bought into his toughness. I was optimistic.

I'm always optimistic. I felt good when we hired Rex. At least we were relevant. But he was such a clown that he ruined a really good defense.

I believe that the Pegs are fully committed to winning. They spent a lot of money on scouts, leadership, the new GM, and all.

So I have a guarded optimism about the team this year. I'm like the puppy who takes off to chase the ball when the owner fakes the toss. I want the ball.

We're in WNY for a wedding this weekend. We're going to the game Thursday. It's my first game at the stadium since Drew Bledsoe handed off to nobody and we lost to the Patriots. I can't wait to see the boys run on the field.

What don't you like TC?

Greggo might have actually lasted if he hadn't started off with such a weak roster...........some of which his own decisions/gameplan contributed too........specifically the crippling, identity extracting release of Ted Washington.

GW got off on the wrong foot and by the time the roster was built up and his peculiar gameday coaching had steadied out.......his message was dead on arrival with players......and they quit on him........hence the improved initial results with Meathead Mularkey.

This is a distinct possibility with McDermott as well........players respect winners and blame coaches for losing......so starting out with a bad year is a tough hole to dig out of.......particularly in THIS situation where the players expect poor coaching and losing.

Are you Jerry Sullivan?

So in order for the Bills to succeed we can only hire a first time coach but with lots of experience who has won a Super Bowl but isn't married to the past and doesn't remind us of any past coaches who failed.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

What don't you like TC?

I like everything about the guy so far. I felt the same way about Gregg when he started. In retrospect, it is clear that Gregg is out of his mind.

I was happy when they signed Rex because he seemed like a legitimate coach with a pedigree of great defenses. He immediately proved that wrong by taking the #4 defense and turning it into #19.

I hope Sean Mac turns out to be the best coach ever. And I agree with the guy who posted about Ralph never kicking in the bucks for support staff the way the Pegs are doing it now.

See, I believe the team can go 12-4 this year, but I am used to having hopes shattered.

I think McDermott has better integrity than Greg.

He seems like an overall solid guy on and off the field. Him and Beane are definitely a breath of fresh air.

This is the first time we've had new guys from top to bottom in forever..that's what gives me hope.

Young, innovative, fresh faces is something to be excited about. Just a few short years ago, we had a 90+ year old owner, 72 year old GM, and almost 70 year old coach...

I just can't wait to get the season started..

Why are We constantly ointmenting McDermott as someone he has not yet proven to be?

Not applying it yet.

Just been down the Walgreens and pricing ointments. ya know, just in case..

I think McDermott has better integrity than Greg.

He seems like an overall solid guy on and off the field. Him and Beane are definitely a breath of fresh air.

This is the first time we've had new guys from top to bottom in forever..that's what gives me hope.

Young, innovative, fresh faces is something to be excited about. Just a few short years ago, we had a 90+ year old owner, 72 year old GM, and almost 70 year old coach...

I just can't wait to get the season started..

yes indeed :beer:

Greggo was an old school disciplinarian defensive coach. A coach whose mentality was from a different era who was much better at building a defense than building a team and even his success as a DC was above average at best. McD to me seems more like a modern coach who is much more interested in building a culture. Now he could fail at that but he seems to have the right philosophy and the full weight of the organization behind him.

It might not work out, but I think that you need to take these types of risk with coaches. I think that McD is the type of coach philosophy wise and track record wise that is worth taking that shot for.

There's a lot to ponder in the OP's thoughts. However, there was one fundamental difference. Donahoe was in charge from day one. He had Greggo run the kind of ship TD wanted. GW admitted as much when he ended up in DC. Remember the early AM horn blasting? That was Donahoe's idea.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/02/AR2007010201192_4.html

The sense I get with McDermott is that he has been in charge from day one. Now he and Beane have a true partnership. Apparently.

C

The similarities look vague to me.

Williams used to wake them up with an air horn as if to say, "Hey, you can't do it yourself." Treated them like children, basically. Don't see McDermott's approach as all that similar.

There's a lot to ponder in the OP's thoughts. However, there was one fundamental difference. Donahoe was in charge from day one. He had Greggo run the kind of ship TD wanted. GW admitted as much when he ended up in DC. Remember the early AM horn blasting? That was Donahoe's idea.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/02/AR2007010201192_4.html

The sense I get with McDermott is that he has been in charge from day one. Now he and Beane have a true partnership. Apparently.

C

Your story doesn't say that the air horn was Donohoe's idea. It does say that Donahoe wanted Williams to be hard, though. So may have come about because of Donahoe's toughness mandate. Doesn't specifically say that, though.

Edited by Thurman#1